From: "Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org>
To: Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Subject: Re: BUG: emacs orgmode ob-R.el function org-babel-R-evaluate-session over aggressively performs "; ; cleanup extra prompts left in output" and a possible workaround
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 23:22:22 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks Chuck for setting this through.

I've never been happy at how Babel arranged the inter process communication with R  including the need for cleaning up the output with scary regular expressions like this.

Also there are some of uses of temp files that sometime cause of bugs especially when running R under tramp on a remote host. I'll be sure to report it next time I see it.

I've wondered if there is not a better way for Babel to share an interactive session with the user.   For instance, if we wanted to support a new form of results processing on addition to value and output.... Namely, "transcript", wherein the results of evaluating a source block would be a transcript of the season with statements interwoven with their respective outputs.... I suspect that this would not be easy extension of the current approach since it would require parsing the source into statements that get evaluated sequentially with visible results echoed into the transcript.

But I digress.....

Thanks again for running with my workaround....

On Nov 7, 2015 3:31 PM, "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
[...]
> Would you want to provide a patch for that (and commit it while you're
> at it)?

Done.

Chuck