* Feature Request: allow export yes/no for blocks that are valid babel inputs
@ 2019-03-23 21:20 Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2019-03-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

when using lists, tables and example blocks as inputs to babel src
blocks sometimes the inputs are just... inputs. There is some
inconsistency in the fact that src blocks can be selectively exported
but not their inputs. Commenting these inputs out makes them invisible
to the block referencing them (apparently this method worked a time
ago but it's not working now). OTOH using the noexport tag introduces
spurious sections that interrupt the flow of the document and might be
hard to close afterwards (similar to the boilerplate introduced by
beamer blocks).

What do you think of adding an :export yes/no parameter to these
blocks? Or to blocks in general.

Best regards
--
Carlos

* Re: Feature Request: allow export yes/no for blocks that are valid babel inputs
@ 2019-03-23 21:30 ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2019-03-23 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Or maybe a keyword, similar to #+name. For instance:

#+export: no
#+name: mylist
- item 1
- item 2

* Re: Feature Request: allow export yes/no for blocks that are valid babel inputs
@ 2019-03-23 21:35   ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2019-03-23 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Or maybe the other way around:

#+noexport: mylist mytable ...

Then there is the question of what to do with src blocks, which have
their own, more complex, export control mechanism. What if both
#+noexport and :exports were set with non consistent values? Should
one forbid that possibility? Or simply make :exports win?

* Re: Feature Request: allow export yes/no for blocks that are valid babel inputs
@ 2019-03-24 16:30 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-03-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Pita; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

AFAICS, the functionality you seek already exists, although it is not heavily advertised.

`C-c C-x t' will insert an inline task. Within such a `task' you can put text, tables, src blocks and other objects.

Setting option `inline:nil' will prevent export, but leave the content visible to src blocks etc.

Alternatively, you can tag inlinetasks as with headlines to control their export.

Browse the commentary in org-inlinetask.el for more details.

HTH,

Chuck

@ 2019-04-16 21:13   ` Carlos Pita
From: Carlos Pita @ 2019-04-16 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Berry,

sorry for the late reply, I was pretty busy lately.

I didn't know about inline tasks, thanks for let me know. The idea is cool
but I think that regarding the use case I'm suggesting, they are a more or
less hackish workaround and not a proper solution. I'm saying this because:

1) They are kinda optional, they are not enabled by default. But this is
not too important.

2) They are oriented towards tasks. Clearly, my use case is not about tasks
but about more granularity in exporting. It's true that, as a side effect,
you can wrap some additional syntactical constructions into selectively
exportable chunks by considering them as tasks.

Now, the concept of inline task could be generalized and, if the
generalization is "general enough", maybe even enabled by default. But this
is overkilling for my specific interest, specially if I had to implements
something like that by myself. Instead, I could implement a more modest
proposal (no Swift reference intended).

Regards
--
Carlos

@ 2019-04-17  5:42     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-04-17  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Pita; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Berry, Charles

I missed your original query.  Have you considered using drawers?  I use
these instead of inline tasks for "inputs" of the type you
describe.  You can control their export using the d: option.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.3-327-g3375f0

* Re: Feature Request: allow export yes/no for blocks that are valid babel inputs
@ 2019-04-17 16:16       ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-04-17 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: Carlos Pita, emacs-orgmode

You are right, Eric.

This is a better option - especially as `org-export-with-drawers' gives granular control over what is exported.

Chuck