Hi, the result of this discussion about footnotes is now in the latest git version, see http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-1.1.1 for more information. - Carsten On Dec 17, 2008, at 1:52 PM, Scot Becker wrote: > Dear all, > > I'm a new org user who recently ran across the video of Carsten's > Google talk. I have been looking for something like org for years, but > learning Emacs had always seemed too high a price, so I never really > considered Emacs-based options. However time is a teacher, and I see > now that there are plenty of other higher prices than learning Emacs, > which has anyway proved easier than I thought. Org-mode is really an > amazing piece of work, a highly original piece of software, and > possibly just what this vim user needs. When I think how much time I > spent other solutions, including vim's two (basically unmaintained and > functionally feeble) outline modes, I can only resign myself to the > mild shame. > > The following is in response to a brief thread posted to this list in > October by Matthew Lundin. He described the limitations of > footnotes.el, and suggested two possibilities for extending footnotes > support in org-mode. [1]. > > The problem with Steve L. Baur's (otherwise useful) footnotes mode is > that it cannot 'read' the contents of a loaded buffer. So in any > given editing session, footnote numbering always starts with 1, even > if you already had 1...10 in your file from a previous editing > session. This is simply a limitation of the mode in its current > state. I expect the package's scope was originally confined to using > footnotes in plain text emails, which are generally finished in one > shot. > > There have been some efforts to overcome this limitation by means of a > patch to footnote.el [2] and a new function, footnote-init.el [3] > which reads the contents of a newly loaded buffer so that the patched > footnote.el 'knows' about previously placed footnotes. These > particular patches may not have all the kinks worked out, however,[4] > and are not part of the current CVS of Emacs 23. > > But someone working in Muse did write an interesting extension to > Muse's footnote support. (The extension is explained here [5], and the > revised version of the code is here [6]). It is basically a hook > function which converts footnotes with reference names[fn:named_note] > to plain, numbered footnotes, like Muse and org-mode support. It > operates on a temporary buffer just before export to LaTeX or HTML, > so is transparent to the user. > > I too would like to make use of org-mode to do more extensive > footnoting than the current footnote.el easily allows. I'm not sure > of the best solution. Here are the alternatives I can think of: > > 1. Help Baur's footnotes.el get to the point where it has no trouble > with multiple editing sessions and managing the numbering of any > arbitrary quantity of footnotes. This is possible in theory. But I > suspect that footnotes associated with body text by simple Arabic > numerals are pretty easy to mangle in a simple text system that lets > you do arbitrary things with the text. Comments? > > 2. Adapt the Muse code mentioned above for use with org-mode. This > would keep org-mode's current footnote support unchanged, but allow > named footnotes while writing. Carsten suggested something like this > in his response to Matthew. > > 3. Add named footnote support to org-mode according to Matthew's > second suggestion (similar to footnote functionality in Pandoc, > Multi-Markdown or ReST). This could optionally include a function for > the auto-generation of short (?) unique-ish IDs to use instead of > names (in a long document, giving named references to dozens of > similar footnotes could itself be a source of confusion). > > 4. Forget org-mode for anything with any quantity of footnotes. This > is Carsten's other suggestion in response to Matthew. It's possible > that the practicalities of footnote handling would prove too costly to > get right. He knows this much better than I. (though I'm not sure > that they impair org's plan-text readability as Carsten suggests. > > 5. A final solution (which might also gain other advantages) could be > to begin to facilitate an org-export mode to Pandoc's native > plain-text syntax (an extension of Markdown).[7] Pandoc is a robust > Haskell engine to convert between plain text formats. This would add > a step to org-mode export, but that one step could potentially allow > conversion into the wide range of formats that Pandoc supports > (markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, RTF, DocBook XML, > OpenDocument XML, ODT, GNU Texinfo, MediaWiki markup, groff man pages, > and S5 HTML slide shows). Pandoc's syntax model already has a lot in > common with org's. (Both allow LaTeX pass-through, for example). I > don't know if such an export would meet the effort vs. value trade > off, but I suggest it might. > > Comments? (by anyone who summoned the patience to read all of that... > sorry for the length. I couldn't manage less). > > Scot B. > > Footnotes: > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/8373 > [2] http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/49c826201105d1e9/7c3ea8323041f91c?lnk=gst&q=footnote#7c3ea8323041f91c > [3] http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.sources/browse_thread/thread/e809fa5d396a7aa2/1d001b35388725b4?lnk=gst&q=footnote#1d001b35388725b4 > [4] http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.muse.general/2007-11/msg00012.html > [5] https://mail.gna.org/public/muse-el-discuss/2007-11/msg00027.html > [6] https://mail.gna.org/public/muse-el-discuss/2007-11/msg00033.html > [namednote] Like this. > [7] http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/ > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode