* Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-23  8:06 Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-23  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have used several information management tools over the years, but I
am trying to use Emacs/orgmode more. There are many examples of people
using Orgmode for time management type tasks, but not a lot on
information management.

I would be interested in any insights into  how people use orgmode for
information management eg. gathering information for scientific paper.

Many thanks,

Graahm

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-23 11:06 ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2009-06-23 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Graham Smith wrote:

> I have used several information management tools over the years, but I
> am trying to use Emacs/orgmode more. There are many examples of people
> using Orgmode for time management type tasks, but not a lot on
> information management.

> I would be interested in any insights into  how people use orgmode for
> information management eg. gathering information for scientific paper.

For me, it works great because it is so easy to use as an outliner.  I
have also been using it to write papers.  When I do this, I use it like
a glorified LaTeX.  The real advantage there is the ability to show and
hide sections.  The only disadvantage that I have found with the LaTeX
export is that it is best to use \( and \) rather than $ to enter and
exit math mode because org has some trouble parsing the $ across line
breaks.  But that is minor, and your fingers will get used to it if you
use a lot of math.

However, I still keep all my references in a separate
database (I use the Zotero plugin for Firefox, which I export to
bibtex).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-23 12:41     ` Chris Gray
From: Chris Gray @ 2009-06-23 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Graham Smith wrote:

> Chris,

> Thanks, but I have a couple of more questions if that's OK

>> For me, it works great because it is so easy to use as an outliner.

> Do you use tags for particular linked topics or do you just rely on
> the outline and drop related information into the same level of the
> outline

So far I have been using just the outlining capabilities, but tags
sounds like a great idea -- I think I'll start doing that too. :)  Until
now, though, I mostly find the information that I am looking for with
isearch.

>> However, I still keep all my references in a separate
>> database (I use the Zotero plugin for Firefox, which I export to
>> bibtex).

> Do you keep notes specific to a paper in Zotero, or keep them in
> Orgmode.

I keep it all in orgmode.  I am addicted to the emacs key layout, so it
is easier to do the note-taking in emacs than in Firefox.  Plus, Zotero
doesn't seem so easy to search for me.

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-23 15:29 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Graham,

Graham Smith <myotisone@gmail.com> writes:

> I would be interested in any insights into  how people use orgmode for
> information management eg. gathering information for scientific paper.

Org-mode is very well suited to this purpose. I like to think of
org-mode as an outliner with the functionality of a database. Each
outline heading/subheading is a node to which all sorts of metadata can
be attached. Thus, notes can be as free-form or as structured as the
project requires. The structure can emerge as the project progresses.

When beginning a research project, I dump a lot of material into a new
org file, making heavy use of org-remember and org-protocol. I tag items
as they come in, so I know that I'll be able to find them easily later.
I also create links to relevant files (pdfs, images, etc.). And any time
I need to follow up on something, I create a todo. Indeed, todo state
changes are immensely helpful for keeping track of what I've done so
far.

My citations are located in a bibtex database; org-mode is able to
create links to individual items via org-store-link or org-remember. I
make sure to add a link to every outline heading, whether it be to a
website, a bibtex item, a file, or to some other node in the outline
(via <<internal-links>> or ID properties).

The beauty of org-mode is that I can organize my outline only when the
need arises. Thanks to tags, searches, and sparse trees, I can easily
find individual notes. And thanks to hyperlinks I can travel quickly to
the source of the information.

Anytime I need a more structured database, I create one within the
outline by using properties and column views. Let's say I need to keep
track of sources I've looked at an archive. I can easily create a
mini-database for the archive.

* Some Archive
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COLUMNS:  %25ITEM %10TIMESTAMP_IA %17collection %6doc-number %18author %25title %10origdate %TAGS
  :END:
** An old letter 				  :industrialization:letters:
   :PROPERTIES:
   :collection: Personal Letters
   :doc-number:   768b
   :author:   Michael Smithson
   :origdate: 1868
   :title:    Letter to brother
   :END:

Some notes about the letter here...

[2009-06-23 Tue 09:37]

So an individual org outline can contain numerous custom databases! The
possibilities are endless.

And, of course, at any point I can export any part of the outline to
pdf, html, ascii, etc.

Hope this helps.

- Matt

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-23 15:44   ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt

> Org-mode is very well suited to this purpose. I like to think of
> org-mode as an outliner with the functionality of a database. Each
> outline heading/subheading is a node to which all sorts of metadata can
> be attached. Thus, notes can be as free-form or as structured as the
> project requires. The structure can emerge as the project progresses.

That is all really useful and given me several things to think about,
and some thing to check out how to do. I'm just trying as far as
possible to get the structure right at the beginning.

Graham

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-23 19:16     ` Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga @ 2009-06-23 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Graham Smith writes:
> [...]
> That is all really useful and given me several things to think about,
> and some thing to check out how to do. I'm just trying as far as
> possible to get the structure right at the beginning.

Actually, if nothing else, I think a very appealing aspect of org-mode
is its flexibility.  Even if you have the wrong structure at the
beginning, it's really easy to fix later.  Re-organisation (moving
headlines, for instance) is trivial *and* as org-mode has the full
power of emacs and is text based, making global changes are just as
trivial.

It's this flexibility that encourages one to simply jump in and use it
and the benefits then quickly make you wonder how you got along
without it!

* Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-24 21:27 Shrutarshi Basu
From: Shrutarshi Basu @ 2009-06-24 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just started using orgmode today to organize the papers that I'm
collecting for my own research. The way I work is a bit complicated, but I
like it. I have all my PDFs in a single directory and my notes in a separate
directory. These notes are extensive outlines and notes for each paper.
Corresponding files are named the same in each directory to make it easy to
relate the paper to the notes. I also have a bibtex file with citation info
for each file. I then run a Python script over the two directories and the
bibtex file which generates an org file containing links to the PDF and
notes and some of the bibtex data (authors and publication). This file is my
main interface to all my research info. I use Org-mode tags to do some
simple categorization and also store short notes. If you like, I could give
you my Python script. Some of the file paths are hard coded in, but they're
easy to change. You can also view PDFs directly in Emacs.

Basu

--
Shrutarshi Basu
Computer Science,

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-25 12:20 ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-06-25 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shrutarshi Basu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hey Basu.  I'd love to see this python script.  I'm a complete n00b with
latex so i'm trying to get up to speed on it fast; however all my research
on this has led me to believe this is the perfect setup and your description
of your flow is confirming it more.
Thanks,

*Greg Newman*

http://20seven.org

twitter: 20seven

@ 2009-06-25 15:27   ` Alexander
From: Alexander @ 2009-06-25 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Shrutarshi Basu

Hi,

I've recently started using org-mode to organize reading notes and to
write papers, and I'd be interested in this script too. One thing that
I have a little trouble with is connecting these three pieces of
information for each reference: bibtex key, pdf file with actual
article, and org file with notes.

Best,

Alexander

@ 2009-06-25 16:00     ` Shrutarshi Basu
From: Shrutarshi Basu @ 2009-06-25 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've uploaded the script to http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~basus/paperorg
No comments, but it should be fairly self-explanatory. Keeping pdfs, bibtex
and org notes files connected was a problem that I solved with some low-tech
organization. My pdfs, orgs and bibtex keys all have the same format:

<publication><year>-<first author>

That way I can have the script easily pull together the different
information sources because they have the same unique identifier (without
the extension). This approach means that I don't see the paper title or any
other information in the file manager. I basically use Emacs as the
paper-organization interface, which is really nice since I can use tags and
the like to separate out the papers while keeping them in one place if I
need to find them.

I have one such setup for each research project, though in theory I could
just use one large org-file as a complete paper database. But I feel that
would be putting all my eggs in one basket, so that's not something I'd be
comfortable doing.

I would like to get org mode to open the PDF links in an external viewer as
opposed to in Emacs with doc-view as it does now. Any suggestions on how to
do this?

Thanks,
Basu

--

@ 2009-06-25 17:08       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-25 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shrutarshi Basu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Shrutarshi Basu <shr@basushr.net> writes:

> I would like to get org mode to open the PDF links in an external viewer as
> opposed to in Emacs with doc-view as it does now. Any suggestions on how to do
> this?

You can customize `org-file-apps' to your needs.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Orgmode for research information management
@ 2009-06-25 17:19 ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shrutarshi

2009/6/24 Shrutarshi Basu <shr@basushr.net>:
> I just started using orgmode today to organize the papers that I'm
> collecting for my own research. The way I work is a bit complicated, but I
> like it. I have all my PDFs in a single directory and my notes in a separate
> directory.

That sounds really interesting, thanks. And yes I would like to have a
look at the python script, but I may need to come back and ask for
help in using it.

None the less, this is the sort of set up I would like to try and get working.

Graham