* [PERF] Slow Org Agenda Custom Commands
@ 2009-01-11  0:08 Jason Jackson
From: Jason Jackson @ 2009-01-11  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using the following org agenda custom command, with a relatively small
org-mode text file, and agenda creation is taking around 3-4 seconds, it
becomes unbearably worse if I modify stuck-projects to also use properties
searches)

*Is there anything I can change to speed up the commands execution; or
developer changes to org-mode?*

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("h" "Next Action"
         (
          (agenda ""
                  ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
                   (org-agenda-time-grid '())
                   (org-deadline-warning-days 5)
                   (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(time-up priority-down))
                   (org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
                   (org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's Agenda: ")
                   ))
          ;;;;;;; SLOW COMMAND #1
          (tags
"@HOME-habit-__IGNORE-SCHEDULED>\"<2000-01-01>\"/TODO|BLOCKED|SUBMIT"

                ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))
                 (org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled Todo (@Home): ")
                 ))

          (org-agenda-list-stuck-projects)    ; SLOW IF I USE PROPERTIES
LIKE ABOVE

          ;;;;;;; SLOW COMMAND #2
          (tags
"-@HOME-habit-@WORK-__IGNORE-SCHEDULED>\"<2000-01-01>\"/TODO|BLOCKED|SUBMIT"
                 (
                  (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down tag-down))
                  (org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled Todo (Other
Contexts): ")
                  ))
          (tags "+habit+@HOME-__IGNORE/TODO"
                 (
                  (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down tag-down))
                  (org-agenda-overriding-header "Habits (@Home): ")
                  ))
          ))

The main performance degradation comes from  -SCHEDULED>\"<2000-01-01>\"

I understand there's a way to removed scheduled items from TODO agenda
generations, but this doesn't apply to TAGS agenda generations. So in order
to accomplish this in tags, I've added -SCHEDULED>\"<2000-01-01>\" meaning,
'does not have a SCHEDULED property'

Overall, isn't there any way to speed up property queries?
If the property query is generating some kind of index, is there a way to
keep this indexed cached for the subsequent property query in this overall
agenda page generation?

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. This being my first post on the mailing list, org-mode is absolutely
amazing & invaluable!

* Re: [PERF] Slow Org Agenda Custom Commands
@ 2009-01-12  2:34 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-12  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jason,

"Jason Jackson" <jason@cvk.ca> writes:

> I'm using the following org agenda custom command, with a relatively small
> org-mode text file, and agenda creation is taking around 3-4 seconds, it
> becomes unbearably worse if I modify stuck-projects to also use properties
> searches)
>
> Is there anything I can change to speed up the commands execution; or
> developer changes to org-mode?
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("h" "Next Action"
>          (
>           (agenda ""
>                   ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
>                    (org-agenda-time-grid '())
>                    (org-deadline-warning-days 5)
>                    (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(time-up priority-down))
>                    (org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>                    (org-agenda-overriding-header "Today's Agenda: ")
>                    ))
>           ;;;;;;; SLOW COMMAND #1
>           (tags "@HOME-habit-__IGNORE-SCHEDULED>\"<2000-01-01>\"/TODO|BLOCKED|
> SUBMIT"
>                 ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))
>                  (org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled Todo
>       (@Home): ")
>                  ))

As you suggest, any searches for properties other than TODO, LEVEL,
and CATEGORY can be quite slow.

Have you considered using a todo search and then using secondary
filtering to limit by tag. This would enable you to use either of the
following variables:

- org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date
- org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled

Best,
Matt

* Re: [PERF] Slow Org Agenda Custom Commands
@ 2009-01-12  5:56   ` Jason Jackson
From: Jason Jackson @ 2009-01-12  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you Matthew, this improved the performance to an acceptable ~half
second

I still wonder if multiple property searches could be optimized somehow, but
for my purposes I'm satisfied =)

For example, you can't use agenda filter commands with
org-stuck-project-list, thus you'd have to resort to a slow property search.
Some people might want to search for high priority stuck projects. (I solved
this by introducing different 'priority' todo states)

-Jason

@ 2009-01-18 19:50     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode