@ 2009-06-16 21:21 Jere McDevitt
From: Jere McDevitt @ 2009-06-16 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Apologize for having to start a new thread, but I just signed up to the
mailing list and since I didn't have the original message to reply to.

What may be happening is that Ubuntu has a default version of org-mode
pre-installed in the primary load path directories, so that is what is being
picked up and not your latest version.  To check that, type

dpkg --list | grep org

and see if org mode was installed by the package manager.  If so, just do a
normal remove and see if that doesn't take care of it.

Jere
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c2c75873c0906161257v9f2ad99pa80364ebb0febb50%40mail.gmail.com%3e>

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-16 21:31 ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jere,

> What may be happening is that Ubuntu has a default version of org-mode
> pre-installed in the primary load path directories, so that is what is being
> picked up and not your latest version.  To check that, type
>
> dpkg --list | grep org
>
> and see if org mode was installed by the package manager.  If so, just do a
> normal remove and see if that doesn't take care of it.

I can't check this just now (as I don't have access to my ubuntu
machine at the moment)  but as I understand it Org-mode is distributed
with Emacs now, but the commands in the .emacs file over ride the
built in version and use the version in the path set up in .emacs.
That is what happens on the Mac, unless I have misunderstood.

Thanks,

Graham

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-16 22:12   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-06-16 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Graham Smith <myotisone@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What may be happening is that Ubuntu has a default version of org-mode
> > pre-installed in the primary load path directories, so that is what is being
> > picked up and not your latest version.  To check that, type
> >
> > dpkg --list | grep org
> >
> > and see if org mode was installed by the package manager.  If so, just do a
> > normal remove and see if that doesn't take care of it.
>
> I can't check this just now (as I don't have access to my ubuntu
> machine at the moment)  but as I understand it Org-mode is distributed
> with Emacs now, but the commands in the .emacs file over ride the
> built in version and use the version in the path set up in .emacs.
> That is what happens on the Mac, unless I have misunderstood.

Jere may be right: I recall previous discussions on the list that
indicated this kind of problem. You might want to check for the existence
of /etc/emacsXXX/site-start.d/50org-mode.el.

I can't find a reference to this mail in the archive (the thread seems to have
been cut off somehow), but I found it in my archive: Scot Becker had
pointed out the existence of this file to Eraldo Helal and that turned out
to be the problem. Here is what Eraldo had to say about it:

,----

| Sender: Eraldo Helal <admin@eraldo.at>
| From: Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at>
| To: Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com>
| Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, Org-Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
| Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:29:32 +0200 (CEST)
| Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ascii export error
|

| [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
| I deleted "/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50org-mode.el".
| Everything works as intended now.
|
| Special thanks to Nick and Scot. :)
|
| On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:36, Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> wrote:
|
|     On a debian-based system, and perhaps others, /etc/emacs/site-start.d
|     has a few files that set variables and define functions for use with
|     the Debian(Ubuntu, etc) system policies.  There might be nothing in
|     there that your setup depends on, but I wouldn't want to risk it. you
|     can glance through the files in there and see what kinds of things
|     they touch.
|
|     However, if you want to try without it, you can rename it.  If that
|     causes errors, you can rename it, then create an empty directory in
|     the same place /etc/emacs/site-start.d.
|
|     If that's where the problem is, the principal of dissection should
|     work there as well, just move the files out of the directory one at a
|     time (tryiing your export with emacs -Q each time, to see where the
|     offending file is.
|
|     Scot
|
|     On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:
|     > Is it save to just delte that directory: /etc/emacs/site-start.d
|     > Because I guess the error lies somewhere in there.
|     > Or is this directory important for something?
|     >
|     > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:46, Eraldo Helal <office@eraldo.at> wrote:
|     >>
|     >> I discovered that there is a directory: /etc/emacs/site-start.d
|     >> http://paste.org/6848
|     >>
|     >> Does this also get loaded by default and ignored with --no-site-file ? //
|     >> that would make some sense again (to me)
|     >
|     >
|     > _______________________________________________
|     > Emacs-orgmode mailing list
|     > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
|     > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
|     >
|     >

| [[End of PGP Signed Part]]
`----

But I don't think that there is an org-mode package as Jere suggests: I
think it came as part of emacs. You'll probably need to do a little
surgery as the mail describes.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-17 15:40     ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-17 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks everyone

>> > picked up and not your latest version.  To check that, type
>> >
>> > dpkg --list | grep org
>> >
>> > and see if org mode was installed by the package manager.  If so, just do a
>> > normal remove and see if that doesn't take care of it.

> Jere may be right: I recall previous discussions on the list that
> indicated this kind of problem. You might want to check for the existence
> of /etc/emacsXXX/site-start.d/50org-mode.el.

Tries both these thngs and can't find any installed org-mode or that
50org-mode/.el file.

I will try a few more commentin outs and retyping things, but I still
find it strange that it wa working fine in Ubuntu 8.01 and not now.,
but I then find Linux a bit like that.

Should anyone have any othe suggestions, I would still appreciate them.

Many thanks,

Graham

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-17 16:24       ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-06-17 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I will try a few more commentin outs and retyping things, but I still
> find it strange that it wa working fine in Ubuntu 8.01 and not now.,
> but I then find Linux a bit like that.
>
> Should anyone have any othe suggestions, I would still appreciate them.
>
> Many thanks,

I am using Ubuntu Jaunty with a setup almost identical to yours and mine
"Just works". Are you certain that:

> (setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/lisp" load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/contrib/lisp" load-path))

Points to the correct version of org? Some things to try:

Remove the compiled lisp files (*.elc).

Edit org-install.el and type in some garbage. If emacs is trying to load
this library it should blow up with an error.

My default ubuntu emacs22 doesn't have any org packages loaded by
default. Try doing an apt-cache purge org-mode, which should completely
remove the Ubuntu version if it's installed.

Ian.

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-17 16:46         ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-17 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian

Thanks,  it just worked  with 8.01 which is why I am struggling now.

> I am using Ubuntu Jaunty with a setup almost identical to yours and mine
> "Just works". Are you certain that:
>
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/lisp" load-path))
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
>
> Points to the correct version of org? Some things to try:

It was the directory copied from the Mac, so it was 6.xx, but I have
just updated to latest version of web site.

> Remove the compiled lisp files (*.elc).

I have none to remove that I can find.

> Edit org-install.el and type in some garbage. If emacs is trying to load
> this library it should blow up with an error.
I haven't tried this, but the error message I get suggests an error
trying to load org.install, which I assume is because it can't find
it.

The error message is

Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)

An error has occurred while loading `/home/graham/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, org-install

> My default ubuntu emacs22 doesn't have any org packages loaded by default.
> Try doing an apt-cache purge org-mode, which should completely remove the
> Ubuntu version if it's installed.

I have run this and get an error

"graham@T42-laptop:~$ sudo apt-cache purge org-mode
[sudo] password for graham:
E: Invalid operation purge"

I have also tried this:

"graham@T42-laptop:~$ emacs --debug-init"

but get

Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
require: Cannot open load file: debug"

Graham

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-17 17:28           ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-06-17 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I have run this and get an error
>
> "graham@T42-laptop:~$ sudo apt-cache purge org-mode
> [sudo] password for graham:
> E: Invalid operation purge"

Doh, finger/brain communication mismatch. It should be:

sudo apt-get purge org-mode

This will completely remove the Debian package and all it configuration
files if it's installed.

Ian.

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-17 17:30         ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-17 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I really don't understand why, but I have written out the paths in
full and it seems to work now

(setq load-path (cons "/home/graham/EmacsAddIns/OrgMode/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "/home/graham/EmacsAddIns/OrgMode/contrib/lisp"
load-path))

Can anyone see any obvious differences between what I posted earlier
and what I have now.

Below is what wouldn't work

(setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/contrib/lisp" load-path))

Thanks for everyones help.

Graham

* Re: In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
@ 2009-06-17 18:04             ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-06-17 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian,

> Doh, finger/brain communication mismatch.

I get that as well :-)

>It should be:
>
> sudo apt-get purge org-mode

As you will have seen now, its  working, but I'm still puzzled as to why.

Graham

* how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-14  7:22 waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-14  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?

Thanks

* Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-14  8:03 ` Graham Smith
From: Graham Smith @ 2009-08-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: waterloo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Something I, as a comparative beginner  can answer :-)

> how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?

Yes, I found it worked fine for me. I had a silly problem with page
margins (searchng the forum for tikz/pgf will find my recent posts),
that was my fault but other than that the flow charts and mindmaps I
have done work well.

Graham

* Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-14 10:53   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-08-14 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, waterloo

Graham Smith <myotisone@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something I, as a comparative beginner  can answer :-)
>
> > how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
>
> Yes, I found it worked fine for me. I had a silly problem with page
> margins (searchng the forum for tikz/pgf will find my recent posts),
> that was my fault but other than that the flow charts and mindmaps I
> have done work well.

Let me add a qualifier: if you try to preview the image, then it does
not seem to work, but that seems to be a characteristic of tikz/pgf,
rather than org-mode.

Here's the experiment, should somebody care to try it:

o Start with a simple picture - the one waterloo posted earlier in
the month will do:

,----
| #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}
|
| * Draw
|
| \begin{tikzpicture}
| \draw (0,0) -- (10,0);
| \end{tikzpicture}
`----

o Export it to LaTeX with C-c C-e l.

o Process the latex file with pdflatex and view with xpdf - everything
is fine.

o Process the latex file with latex, producing a dvi file.  View the dvi
file with xdvi: the picture is missing (and I get a Ghostscript error.)

o Process the dvi file to PS with dvips and view the resulting PS file:
the picture is there.

Since (I'm guessing) preview processes the dvi file with dvipng and
since the dvi file seems to have some kind of problem, preview does not
work.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-14 11:30     ` waterloo
       [not found]       ` <13156.1250249867@gamaville.dokosmarshall.org>
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-14 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, dvi file can not display tikz picture correctly .

Why do you use divpng? Auctex can preview tikz , it does not use dvipng.

Thanks

@ 2009-08-14 11:50         ` waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-14 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Yes , I mean preview-latex

@ 2009-08-15 11:37           ` waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

How to draw picture for exporting to html ?

Thanks

@ 2009-08-15 14:26             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-15 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: waterloo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

waterloo <waterloo2005@gmail.com> writes:

> How to draw picture for exporting to html ?

I use ditaa and graphviz.  There are examples at
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Publishing

Links to the source for the page is available in the Overview section.

-Bernt

* Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-16  2:23               ` waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-16  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

can I use #+begin_tikz  and export tikz to html ?

Thanks

@ 2009-08-16  2:42                 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-16  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: waterloo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

waterloo <waterloo2005@gmail.com> writes:

> can I use #+begin_tikz  and export tikz to html ?

If you (or someone who wants tikz output to work) writes an exporter
that knows what to do with the tikz block I'm sure that can work.

Right now there is no such exporter available AFAIK.

-Bernt

* Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-16  2:46                   ` waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-16  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

tikz is more power than ditaa and graphviz
.<http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#sec-13.2>
I tikz's exporter will be supported in future version.

Thanks

@ 2009-08-16  7:40     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-16  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, waterloo

On Aug 14, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Graham Smith <myotisone@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Something I, as a comparative beginner  can answer :-)
>>
>>> how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
>>
>> Yes, I found it worked fine for me. I had a silly problem with page
>> margins (searchng the forum for tikz/pgf will find my recent posts),
>> that was my fault but other than that the flow charts and mindmaps I
>> have done work well.
>>

> Let me add a qualifier: if you try to preview the image, then it does
> not seem to work, but that seems to be a characteristic of tikz/pgf,
> rather than org-mode.
>
> Here's the experiment, should somebody care to try it:
>
> o Start with a simple picture - the one waterloo posted earlier in
> the month will do:
>
> ,----
> | #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}
> |
> | * Draw
> |
> | \begin{tikzpicture}
> | \draw (0,0) -- (10,0);
> | \end{tikzpicture}
> `----

I think this should work, but I believe the latex
files that is used to create the image does not have te right
usepackage statement.

Right now I am on a machine without dvipng, so I cannot try this:

1. pull from git
2. Instead of #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}, use

    (setq org-export-latex-packages-alist '(("" "tikz))

    because this customization will now also be seen by
    the preview process.

I hope that then the preview will also work.

- Carsten

> o Export it to LaTeX with C-c C-e l.
>
> o Process the latex file with pdflatex and view with xpdf - everything
> is fine.
>
> o Process the latex file with latex, producing a dvi file.  View the
> dvi
> file with xdvi: the picture is missing (and I get a Ghostscript
> error.)
>
> o Process the dvi file to PS with dvips and view the resulting PS
> file:
> the picture is there.
>
> Since (I'm guessing) preview processes the dvi file with dvipng and
> since the dvi file seems to have some kind of problem, preview does
> not
> work.
>
> HTH,
> Nick

* Re: Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-16 15:58                     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-08-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: waterloo; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Adding support for a new block type is fairly easy for any tool that can
be called from the command line.  If you would like to try this please
read the documentation of org-exp-blocks on worg [1] and follow the
example of the asymptote block type [2].

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-exp-blocks.php

[2]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-exp-blocks.php#sec-4.1

* Re: Re: how to draw picture in org-mode ? Does it support tikz/pgf ?
@ 2009-08-16 16:04                       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-08-16 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: waterloo; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

Sorry,

Please disregard this email, I didn't realize tikz/pgf was a package of
TeX macros and not an external tool. -- Eric

@ 2009-08-16 18:40                         ` waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-08-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode