* Emacs Prelude
@ 2011-12-03  2:25 SndChaser
From: SndChaser @ 2011-12-03  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is anybody here using Bozhidar Batsov's Emacs Prelude?
(https://github.com/bbatsov/emacs-prelude)

The reason I as is: by default it disables the Up, Down, Left, right
keys (in order to try to for users to learn the C-N, C-P, C-F, C-B, etc.
keys).  This, of course, messes with the structure editing keys (M-Up,
M-Left, M-S-Up, etc.) So, being a relative n00b to emacs, this brings
about two questions:

1) Is there a way I can re-hook these keys, just to make them active in
Org-Mode?

-Or -

2) Has someone bound: org-do-promote, org-do-demote,
org-promote-subtree. org-demote-subtree, org-move-subtree-up and
org-move-subtree-down to another set of keys that is as handy / workable
as the original bindings?

George

--
We need to heed the words of the Dalai Lama,
Or at least, the words of your mama.

* Re: Emacs Prelude
@ 2011-12-04 16:01 ` Tom Prince
From: Tom Prince @ 2011-12-04 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SndChaser, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:25:21 -0600, SndChaser <sndchaser@cerebralrift.org> wrote:
> 2) Has someone bound: org-do-promote, org-do-demote,
> org-promote-subtree. org-demote-subtree, org-move-subtree-up and
> org-move-subtree-down to another set of keys that is as handy / workable
> as the original bindings?

Well, I use the vi emulation provided by evil, and have bound
M-{h,j,k,l} to org-meta*:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
    (mapcar (lambda (state)
           (evil-declare-key state org-mode-map
             (kbd "M-l") 'org-metaright
             (kbd "M-h") 'org-metaleft
             (kbd "M-k") 'org-metaup
             (kbd "M-j") 'org-metadown
             (kbd "M-L") 'org-shiftmetaright
             (kbd "M-H") 'org-shiftmetaleft
             (kbd "M-K") 'org-shiftmetaup
             (kbd "M-J") 'org-shiftmetadown))
         '(normal insert))
#+END_SRC

  Tom

* Re: Emacs Prelude
@ 2011-12-05  6:14   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-12-05  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Prince; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, SndChaser

Hi Tom,

I'm very interested in the "vi emulation in emacs" subject. I've tried
viper-mode but it's quite slow with org, so I gave up on it. What's evil
and how's the vi emulation it provides? Could you elaborate on it? I'd
appreciate it, a lot.

Thanks,

Marcelo.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Tom Prince <tom.prince@ualberta.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:25:21 -0600, SndChaser <sndchaser@cerebralrift.org>
> wrote:
> > 2) Has someone bound: org-do-promote, org-do-demote,
> > org-promote-subtree. org-demote-subtree, org-move-subtree-up and
> > org-move-subtree-down to another set of keys that is as handy / workable
> > as the original bindings?
>
> Well, I use the vi emulation provided by evil, and have bound
> M-{h,j,k,l} to org-meta*:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>    (mapcar (lambda (state)
>           (evil-declare-key state org-mode-map
>             (kbd "M-l") 'org-metaright
>             (kbd "M-h") 'org-metaleft
>             (kbd "M-k") 'org-metaup
>             (kbd "M-j") 'org-metadown
>             (kbd "M-L") 'org-shiftmetaright
>             (kbd "M-H") 'org-shiftmetaleft
>             (kbd "M-K") 'org-shiftmetaup
>             (kbd "M-J") 'org-shiftmetadown))
>         '(normal insert))
> #+END_SRC
>
>  Tom

* Re: Emacs Prelude
@ 2011-12-05  9:09     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-12-05  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: SndChaser, emacs-orgmode, Tom Prince

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm very interested in the "vi emulation in emacs" subject. I've tried
> viper-mode but it's quite slow with org, so I gave up on it. What's evil
> and how's the vi emulation it provides? Could you elaborate on it? I'd
> appreciate it, a lot.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

Marcelo,

I've been using evil (with org but also more generally) for a few months
now.  It provides a very good vi emulation and, more importantly,
strives to stay out of the way when necessary.  From the commentary in
the evil.el file:

,----
| ;; Evil is an extensible vi layer for Emacs. It emulates the main
| ;; features of Vim, and provides facilities for writing custom
| ;; extensions.
| ;;
| ;; Evil lives in a Git repository. To obtain Evil, do
| ;;
| ;;      git clone git://gitorious.org/evil/evil.git
| ;;
| ;; Evil is discussed at <implementations-list at lists.ourproject.org>,
| ;; a mailing list you can subscribe to at:
| ;;
| ;; http://lists.ourproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/implementations-list
| ;;
| ;; Subscription is not required; we usually reply within a few days
| ;; and CC our replies back to you.
`----

If you want modal editing and less cumbersome keystrokes for common
commands, without losing the power that Emacs provides, evil is
definitely worth considering.  I could not go back to vanilla emacs...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.620.g7e49b)

* Re: Emacs Prelude
@ 2011-12-07  0:56       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-12-07  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Tom Prince, emacs-orgmode, SndChaser