From: Ryan Thompson <rct@thompsonclan.org>
To: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Cc: Org-Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	"David A. Gershman" <dagershman_dgt@dagertech.net>
Subject: Re: org-sort-multi??
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:51:50 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi.

Anyone can freely use any code I post here for any purpose, unless I
specifically say otherwise for a particular piece of code (I can't think of
any reason why  would do this, though).

I've included the code for org-sort-multi below. Carsten is correct, it is
not an interactive function. In fact, it isn't really meant to be used
directly at all in its current form. I use it for defining specific custom
sort functions, of which I have also given an example below.

(defun org-sort-multi (&rest sort-types)
  "Sort successively by a list of criteria.
For example, sort first by TODO status, then by priority, then by date, then
alphabetically, case-sensitive.
Each criterion is either a character or a cons pair (BOOL . CHAR), where
BOOL is whether or not to sort case-sensitively, and CHAR is one of the
characters defined in ``org-sort-entries-or-items''.
So, the example above could be accomplished with:
 (org-sort-multi ?o ?p ?t (t . ?a))"
  (mapc #'(lambda (sort-type)
            (org-sort-entries-or-items
             (car-safe sort-type)
             (or (cdr-safe sort-type) sort-type)))
        (reverse sort-types)))

(defun org-sort-custom ()
  "Sort children of node by todo status and by priority, so the * TODO [#A]
items go to the top. Then fold it the way I like it."
  (interactive)
  (org-sort-multi ?o ?p ?T)
  (dotimes (x 2) (org-cycle)))