* Agenda optimization: new option `org-agenda-inhibit-startup'
@ 2013-01-26 15:40 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-26 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

in the maint and master branch, there is `org-agenda-inhibit-startup',
a new option defaulting to t which prevent the agenda buffers to run
some startup initialization when called for generating an agenda --
e.g. opening the buffer with a specific cycling state is not honored.

This will speed up agenda generation *a lot*, especially for people
who have lots of agenda files.

Please check and let me know.

For those who want the previous behavior, simply set it to nil.

I want the default to be t so newbies enjoy a fast agenda early on.

All best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Agenda optimization: new option `org-agenda-inhibit-startup'
@ 2013-01-27  7:49 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-27  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> in the maint and master branch, there is `org-agenda-inhibit-startup',
> a new option defaulting to t which prevent the agenda buffers to run
> some startup initialization when called for generating an agenda --
> e.g. opening the buffer with a specific cycling state is not honored.
>
> This will speed up agenda generation *a lot*, especially for people
> who have lots of agenda files.
>
> Please check and let me know.

Seems to work fine and it does seem to speed things up significantly
(although this is a non-quantitative assessment).

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3d-874-gf11acc

* Re: Agenda optimization: new option `org-agenda-inhibit-startup'
@ 2013-01-27  9:04 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-01-27  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bastien,

yes, this will lead to a speedup of the first agenda in an Emacs session.  Once the buffers have been pulled in, this should not make a difference anymore.

Maybe it would be useful to exempt initializing org-indent-mode from this.  I think (Nicolas?) that this will cost no time as long as the buffer is not visible, but it will help to make the buffer look "right" when the user gets to it.

- Carsten

@ 2013-01-27  9:06   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-27  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Seems to work fine and it does seem to speed things up significantly
> (although this is a non-quantitative assessment).

Thanks for confirming!

--

@ 2013-01-27  9:11   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-27  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

> Maybe it would be useful to exempt initializing org-indent-mode from this.
> I think (Nicolas?) that this will cost no time as long as the buffer is not
> visible, but it will help to make the buffer look "right" when the user
> gets to it.

Mhh.. that's right.  I'll check that (org-indent-mode 1) does not cost
any time when the buffer is not visible.

--

@ 2013-01-27 19:08     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-01-27 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> Maybe it would be useful to exempt initializing org-indent-mode from this.
>> I think (Nicolas?) that this will cost no time as long as the buffer is not
>> visible, but it will help to make the buffer look "right" when the user
>> gets to it.
>
> Mhh.. that's right.  I'll check that (org-indent-mode 1) does not cost
> any time when the buffer is not visible.

`org-indent-mode' initializes indentation of buffers even when they are
not current. Though, it happens on idle time, so it shouldn't be
noticeable.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Agenda optimization: new option `org-agenda-inhibit-startup'
@ 2013-01-30 10:21   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-30 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

> Maybe it would be useful to exempt initializing org-indent-mode from
> this.

I double-checked and (setq org-startup-indented t) does not delay the
agenda generation, so I implemented this: org-indent-mode is not
inhibited anymore when `org-agenda-inhibit-startup' is non-nil.

Thanks for suggesting this!

--

@ 2013-01-30 12:11     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-01-30 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great, I am happy.

- Carsten

--
There is no unscripted life.  Only a badly scripted one. -- Brothers Bloom