* here's a working version of org-generic
@ 2009-04-15 19:23 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2009-04-15 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a bunch of random things that I'd like to export org stuff too
and it seemed to me that much of the work of writing code to export
stuff from org-mode into external documents could be conquered by simple
string specifiers.  So yesterday I hacked something together that is
actually working enough I should be able to use it to other random xml
formats, etc.  It's far from complete but it's usable by the average
elisp hacker.  See the todo list at the top for all the things it
*doesn't* do (sigh).

EG, the demo specifier in the example specifier list (see the code) can
be used to take this:

  Test

  * level 1
    text level 1
  *** level 2
      text level 2
  :  this
  :   is
  :    critical
  ***** level 3
        text [[file:foo2.org][level 3]]
  ***** Another 3
        more text level 3
  *** level 2 again
      more text level 2
  ******* jump to level 4
  	level 4 text
  *** back to 2

To produce this:

  ====
  <h1>Test</h1>
  ====

  </date><tocname>
  __Table of Contents__
  </tocname>
  <toc>
  #(1)--level 1 --
      #(1.1)--level 2 --
          #(1.1.1)--level 3 --
          #(1.1.2)--Another 3 --
      #(1.2)--level 2 again --
      #(1.3)--back to 2 --
  #(2)--back to 1 --

  </toc>

  <secprefix>
  <h1>1 level 1 </h1>
    text level 1</p>
  <secprefix>
  <h2>1.1 level 2 </h2>
      text level 2<pre>
   this
  </pre>
  <pre>
    is
  </pre>
  <pre>
     critical
  </pre>
  <secprefix>
  <h3>level 3 </h3>

[-- Attachment #2: org-generic.el --]

* Re: here's a working version of org-generic
@ 2009-04-15 19:59 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-15 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> writes:

> I have a bunch of random things that I'd like to export org stuff too
> and it seemed to me that much of the work of writing code to export
> stuff from org-mode into external documents could be conquered by simple
> string specifiers.  So yesterday I hacked something together that is
> actually working enough I should be able to use it to other random xml
> formats, etc.  It's far from complete but it's usable by the average
> elisp hacker.  See the todo list at the top for all the things it
> *doesn't* do (sigh).

Isn't the filename (org-generic.el) well, um, too generic?  If it's
export-related wouldn't something like org-export-generic.el be better?
(or maybe even org-export-tools.el? )

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: here's a working version of org-generic
@ 2009-04-15 21:14   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2009-04-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

BH> Isn't the filename (org-generic.el) well, um, too generic?  If it's
BH> export-related wouldn't something like org-export-generic.el be better?
BH> (or maybe even org-export-tools.el? )

Well, I was psuedo-modeling it after the existing file names.  Single
dash, etc.  I hardly care about the name of the file ;-) Maybe
org-carefree?  org-styleless?  org-everything?

* Re: Re: here's a working version of org-generic
@ 2009-04-16  7:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-16  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 15, 2009, at 11:14 PM, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> BH> Isn't the filename (org-generic.el) well, um, too generic?  If
> it's
> BH> export-related wouldn't something like org-export-generic.el be
> better?
> BH> (or maybe even org-export-tools.el? )
>
> Well, I was psuedo-modeling it after the existing file names.  Single
> dash, etc.  I hardly care about the name of the file ;-) Maybe
> org-carefree?  org-styleless?  org-everything?

Well, let's define a naming scheme for attempts to make other exporters.

Since org-export-latex no longer exists, lets indeed use names like

org-export-xxxxxxxxxxx.el

This wil leave the org-xxxxxx.el for other applications.

Thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-16 17:06       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2009-04-16 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

CD> org-export-xxxxxxxxxxx.el

Fine by me.  I'll use org-export-generic.

* Re: here's a working version of org-generic
@ 2009-04-22  7:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-22  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Hardaker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Wes, this is fun, I hope you continue to improve it.

One problem I notices:  I think multiple lines starting with ": "
must be seen as one block, most backends will need this.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-22 13:48   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2009-04-22 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

CD> One problem I notices:  I think multiple lines starting with ": "
CD> must be seen as one block, most backends will need this.

Yep.  It was, err...  not on my todo list because I failed to write it
down.  But I did realize the problem existed...  Thanks for reminding me
so I added it to the documented list :-)