* Counting total number of projects
@ 2012-10-19  9:28 Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2012-10-19  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have my projects like,

* Projects
** project 1
** project 2

Is there any way to calculate total number of projects in real-time such that,

* Projects (2)
** project 1
** project 2

This would be really beneficial to see how many running projects I
have at the moment. At the moment, I am counting this manually which
is slow and error-prone.

Thanks.

* Re: Counting total number of projects
@ 2012-10-19 10:01 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-19 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Chris,

Chris Henderson wrote:
> I have my projects like,
>
> * Projects
> ** project 1
> ** project 2
>
> Is there any way to calculate total number of projects in real-time such that,
>
> * Projects (2)
> ** project 1
> ** project 2
>
> This would be really beneficial to see how many running projects I
> have at the moment. At the moment, I am counting this manually which
> is slow and error-prone.

That's more or less what I proposed in a slightly different context: in the
custom agenda views.

See patch in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-10/msg00014.html.

That said, I would as well consider that as a benefit, to get such info in the
Org buffers as well.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Counting total number of projects
@ 2012-10-19 10:30 ` Phil Mason
From: Phil Mason @ 2012-10-19 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Chris,

> Is there any way to calculate total number of projects in real-time such that,

If you don't mind marking your projects as TODO then you can use statistics cookies like this:

* Projects [%] [/]
** TODO project 1
   + foo
** DONE project 2
   + bar
** TODO project 3
   + baz
** TODO project 4
   + qux

And then the projects line should show (4 projects, 3 in progress, 1 completed):

* Projects [25%] [1/4]

There is more on the checkboxes page of the manual here:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Checkboxes.html#Checkboxes

I tend to have todo lists for each projects so I need the recursive property after the projects line like this:

* Projects [%] [/]
:PROPERTIES:
:COOKIE_DATA: recursive
:END: