Nico, > At some point, someone will want to write foo#call_bar() without > #call_bar() being replaced, and we will go back to point 0. IMO, > zero-width space is the way to go, if only because it can already be > used to escape other special characters in Org. oof, of course! color me convinced! one concern: if i essentially "revert" the changes in 7efa0f2879226695ad9b309c9263a4d1b5d79e89, call_ and src_ all work, but i get the ZERO WIDTH SPACE (ZSWP, \u200b) propagated into the resulting output file (.html, .tex). it doesn't seem to do any "harm", but, i find it disquieting (being an ASCII-type by birth, if not by current usage). the below patch, basically my #-paste patch turned into a \u200b-paste patch, gets rid of the ZWSP in the output file in the case of \u200bcall_, \u200bsrc_ (**), but, leaves it for all other uses, i.e., \u200b=fubar=. this inconsistency i *also* find disquieting, sigh; i can imagine the great-regexp in the sky in org-element.el could get rid of all these prefixing ZWSPs, but i'd not proceed in this direction without (policy, at least) direction. cheers, Greg (**) btw, if one wants \u200b<> in the output, one prefixes CALL_FOO() with *two* ZWSPs.