emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* `f' in agenda view
@ 2011-10-04 19:35 Dave Abrahams
  2011-10-04 21:04 ` John Wiegley
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


It always strikes me as odd that `f' in agenda view moves the item
forward by a day even if that leaves it still in the past.  Typically if
I have an overdue item, I just want to schedule it for today or a
certain number of days in the future, and as it stands it's even a bit
non-obvious when I've finally bumped it up to today if it's a few days
old.  Shouldn't the first `f' on an overdue item schedule it for today?

I'm happy to hack something locally if the group doesn't agree, but
moving things around in the past seems like such a corner case that I
thought maybe this would be a better default behavior.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-04 19:35 `f' in agenda view Dave Abrahams
@ 2011-10-04 21:04 ` John Wiegley
  2011-10-04 22:30   ` `org-agenda-date-later' (was: `f') " Dave Abrahams
  2011-10-13  8:47   ` `f' " Rainer Stengele
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-04 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>>>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> It always strikes me as odd that `f' in agenda view moves the item forward
> by a day even if that leaves it still in the past.  Typically if I have an
> overdue item, I just want to schedule it for today or a certain number of
> days in the future, and as it stands it's even a bit non-obvious when I've
> finally bumped it up to today if it's a few days old.  Shouldn't the first
> `f' on an overdue item schedule it for today?

Just to clarify, by 'f' dave means `org-agenda-date-later'.  I believe he's
using my keybinding for this command...

> I'm happy to hack something locally if the group doesn't agree, but moving
> things around in the past seems like such a corner case that I thought maybe
> this would be a better default behavior.

I agree with Dave here.  'f' on a past-dated item maybe should move it today
on the first press, and then into the future on subsequent presses.

John

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* `org-agenda-date-later' (was: `f') in agenda view
  2011-10-04 21:04 ` John Wiegley
@ 2011-10-04 22:30   ` Dave Abrahams
  2011-10-13  8:47   ` `f' " Rainer Stengele
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-04 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


on Tue Oct 04 2011, John Wiegley <jwiegley-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>>>>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>
>> It always strikes me as odd that `f' in agenda view moves the item forward
>> by a day even if that leaves it still in the past.  Typically if I have an
>> overdue item, I just want to schedule it for today or a certain number of
>> days in the future, and as it stands it's even a bit non-obvious when I've
>> finally bumped it up to today if it's a few days old.  Shouldn't the first
>> `f' on an overdue item schedule it for today?
>
> Just to clarify, by 'f' dave means `org-agenda-date-later'.  I believe he's
> using my keybinding for this command...

Yeah, I am.  Sorry for the confusion.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-04 21:04 ` John Wiegley
  2011-10-04 22:30   ` `org-agenda-date-later' (was: `f') " Dave Abrahams
@ 2011-10-13  8:47   ` Rainer Stengele
  2011-10-13  9:38     ` Rainer Stengele
  2011-10-16 10:33     ` Carsten Dominik
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-10-13  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 04.10.2011 23:04, schrieb John Wiegley:
>>>>>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
> 
>> It always strikes me as odd that `f' in agenda view moves the item forward
>> by a day even if that leaves it still in the past.  Typically if I have an
>> overdue item, I just want to schedule it for today or a certain number of
>> days in the future, and as it stands it's even a bit non-obvious when I've
>> finally bumped it up to today if it's a few days old.  Shouldn't the first
>> `f' on an overdue item schedule it for today?
> 
> Just to clarify, by 'f' dave means `org-agenda-date-later'.  I believe he's
> using my keybinding for this command...
> 
>> I'm happy to hack something locally if the group doesn't agree, but moving
>> things around in the past seems like such a corner case that I thought maybe
>> this would be a better default behavior.
> 
> I agree with Dave here.  'f' on a past-dated item maybe should move it today
> on the first press, and then into the future on subsequent presses.
> 
> John
> 
> 
> 
+1

Me too I sometimes run into this situation where I just want to shift past-dated items to today.
I never had a use case where I wanted to shift an item from "past" to "past+n-days<today".

Rainer

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-13  8:47   ` `f' " Rainer Stengele
@ 2011-10-13  9:38     ` Rainer Stengele
  2011-10-13 13:59       ` Dave Abrahams
  2011-10-16 10:33     ` Carsten Dominik
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 9+ messages in thread
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-10-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Wiegley, emacs-orgmode

Am 13.10.2011 10:47, schrieb Rainer Stengele:
> Am 04.10.2011 23:04, schrieb John Wiegley:
>>>>>>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>>
>>> It always strikes me as odd that `f' in agenda view moves the item forward
>>> by a day even if that leaves it still in the past.  Typically if I have an
>>> overdue item, I just want to schedule it for today or a certain number of
>>> days in the future, and as it stands it's even a bit non-obvious when I've
>>> finally bumped it up to today if it's a few days old.  Shouldn't the first
>>> `f' on an overdue item schedule it for today?
>>
>> Just to clarify, by 'f' dave means `org-agenda-date-later'.  I believe he's
>> using my keybinding for this command...
>>
>>> I'm happy to hack something locally if the group doesn't agree, but moving
>>> things around in the past seems like such a corner case that I thought maybe
>>> this would be a better default behavior.
>>
>> I agree with Dave here.  'f' on a past-dated item maybe should move it today
>> on the first press, and then into the future on subsequent presses.
>>
>> John
>>
>>
>>
> +1
> 
> Me too I sometimes run into this situation where I just want to shift past-dated items to today.
> I never had a use case where I wanted to shift an item from "past" to "past+n-days<today".
> 
> Rainer
> 
> 
Well, as indicated somewhere else a "C-c C-s +1" for shifting to tomorrow or "C-c C-s ."
for shifting to today does exactly what I wanted.
"The power is in the house" already.

Thank you,
Rainer

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-13  9:38     ` Rainer Stengele
@ 2011-10-13 13:59       ` Dave Abrahams
  2011-10-13 19:09         ` John Wiegley
  2011-10-14 14:28         ` Rainer Stengele
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-13 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


on Thu Oct 13 2011, Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele-AT-online.de> wrote:

> Am 13.10.2011 10:47, schrieb Rainer Stengele:
>
>> Me too I sometimes run into this situation where I just want to
>> shift past-dated items to today.
>> I never had a use case where I wanted to shift an item from "past" to "past+n-days<today".
>> Rainer
>> 
> Well, as indicated somewhere else a "C-c C-s +1" for shifting to tomorrow or "C-c C-s ."
> for shifting to today does exactly what I wanted.
> "The power is in the house" already.

Yeah, it's just a question of having to think absolutely when you want
to think incrementally.  That's a lot of keystrokes when what I want is
to hit `f' (or something) 3 times to move the items to three days from
now.

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-13 13:59       ` Dave Abrahams
@ 2011-10-13 19:09         ` John Wiegley
  2011-10-14 14:28         ` Rainer Stengele
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: John Wiegley @ 2011-10-13 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>>>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Yeah, it's just a question of having to think absolutely when you want to
> think incrementally.  That's a lot of keystrokes when what I want is to hit
> `f' (or something) 3 times to move the items to three days from now.

+1.

John

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-13 13:59       ` Dave Abrahams
  2011-10-13 19:09         ` John Wiegley
@ 2011-10-14 14:28         ` Rainer Stengele
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2011-10-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 13.10.2011 15:59, schrieb Dave Abrahams:
> 
> on Thu Oct 13 2011, Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele-AT-online.de> wrote:
> 
>> Am 13.10.2011 10:47, schrieb Rainer Stengele:
>>
>>> Me too I sometimes run into this situation where I just want to
>>> shift past-dated items to today.
>>> I never had a use case where I wanted to shift an item from "past" to "past+n-days<today".
>>> Rainer
>>>
>> Well, as indicated somewhere else a "C-c C-s +1" for shifting to tomorrow or "C-c C-s ."
>> for shifting to today does exactly what I wanted.
>> "The power is in the house" already.
> 
> Yeah, it's just a question of having to think absolutely when you want
> to think incrementally.  That's a lot of keystrokes when what I want is
> to hit `f' (or something) 3 times to move the items to three days from
> now.
> 

Having bound
F3 to kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter
F4 kmacro-end-or-call-macro

for the first entry in the agenda I want to shift
forward 3 days I enter

F3 C-c C-s +3 <Enter> F4

for each following entry I put point in the line and press F4

for 3 items that makes a total of 8+2=10 keypresses
for 4 items that makes a total of 8+3=11 keypresses
etc.

Best,
Rainer

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: `f' in agenda view
  2011-10-13  8:47   ` `f' " Rainer Stengele
  2011-10-13  9:38     ` Rainer Stengele
@ 2011-10-16 10:33     ` Carsten Dominik
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 9+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-10-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: John Wiegley, emacs-orgmode


On 13.10.2011, at 10:47, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Am 04.10.2011 23:04, schrieb John Wiegley:
>>>>>>> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>> 
>>> It always strikes me as odd that `f' in agenda view moves the item forward
>>> by a day even if that leaves it still in the past.  Typically if I have an
>>> overdue item, I just want to schedule it for today or a certain number of
>>> days in the future, and as it stands it's even a bit non-obvious when I've
>>> finally bumped it up to today if it's a few days old.  Shouldn't the first
>>> `f' on an overdue item schedule it for today?
>> 
>> Just to clarify, by 'f' dave means `org-agenda-date-later'.  I believe he's
>> using my keybinding for this command...
>> 
>>> I'm happy to hack something locally if the group doesn't agree, but moving
>>> things around in the past seems like such a corner case that I thought maybe
>>> this would be a better default behavior.
>> 
>> I agree with Dave here.  'f' on a past-dated item maybe should move it today
>> on the first press, and then into the future on subsequent presses.
>> 
>> John
>> 
>> 
>> 
> +1
> 
> Me too I sometimes run into this situation where I just want to shift past-dated items to today.
> I never had a use case where I wanted to shift an item from "past" to "past+n-days<today".

I think this is all very reasonable, and this is how it works now.

- Carsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-10-16 10:33 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 9+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-10-04 19:35 `f' in agenda view Dave Abrahams
2011-10-04 21:04 ` John Wiegley
2011-10-04 22:30   ` `org-agenda-date-later' (was: `f') " Dave Abrahams
2011-10-13  8:47   ` `f' " Rainer Stengele
2011-10-13  9:38     ` Rainer Stengele
2011-10-13 13:59       ` Dave Abrahams
2011-10-13 19:09         ` John Wiegley
2011-10-14 14:28         ` Rainer Stengele
2011-10-16 10:33     ` Carsten Dominik

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).