* Latex export - footnotes and emphasis
@ 2009-03-28 18:29 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi Carsten,

When I export a footnote that begins with emphasis/italics markup, the
markup is not converted to \emph in the LaTeX output.

E.g., the following source...

#+title: Test

This is a footnote.[fn:footnote]

[fn:footnote] /Test./

Is exported as (some of preamble omitted):

,----
| \title{Test}
| \author{Matthew Lundin}
| \date{March 28, 2009}
|
| \begin{document}
|
| \maketitle
|
| \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
| \tableofcontents
| \vspace*{1cm}
|

| This is a footnote.\footnote{/Test./ }
|

| \end{document}
`----

Matt

* Re: Latex export - footnotes and emphasis
@ 2009-03-30  9:27 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-03-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

I can confirm this.

Another related issue is that italics and bold do not mix in latex export.
You can't do something like this:

/An italicized sentence with a *bold* bit./  or *vice /versa/*.

Also, and this may be unavoidable without adding significant complexity to
the export engine.  But you can't, e.g.
/carry your emphasis on until after the punctuation is over./   (It's been a
while since I tested this.  I'll check it out again today).
For LaTeX export in particular, it would be nice to have finer control over
just where the emphasis goes.  For periods it's not generally an issue :-),
but some of the taller punctuation get into fistfights with their text if
they aren't allowed to be italicized too.

Scot

@ 2009-03-30  9:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Scot Becker wrote:

> I can confirm this.
>
> Another related issue is that italics and bold do not mix in latex
> export.  You can't do something like this:
>
> /An italicized sentence with a *bold* bit./  or *vice /versa/*.

Nested emphasis is indeed not possible.

However, as a LaTeX user, I think you can do

/An italicized sentence with a \textbf{bold} bit./

> Also, and this may be unavoidable without adding significant
> complexity to the export engine.

Indeed.

>   But you can't, e.g.
> /carry your emphasis on until after the punctuation is over./
> (It's been a while since I tested this.  I'll check it out again
> today).

This does work, I think.

> For LaTeX export in particular, it would be nice to have finer
> control over just where the emphasis goes.  For periods it's not
> generally an issue :-), but some of the taller punctuation get into
> fistfights with their text if they aren't allowed to be italicized
> too.

Emphasis is one of the nightmares, and I will only work
on this at gun point :-)

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-30  9:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-30 14:56   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-30 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Carsten,

> Fixed, thanks.
>
> - Carsten

I installed the most recent org from the git repo and footnotes that
begin with italics markup are still not converted to \emph in LaTeX.
(See example below.)

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2009-03-30 17:44     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Matt,

well, if I export that exact same document, then I get

\title{Test}
\author{Carsten Dominik}
\date{30 March 2009}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}

This is a footnote.\footnote{\emph{Test.} }

\end{document}

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-30 18:12       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Carsten,

I think I figured out the problem. I reset
org-emphasis-regexp-components to the new default (I had customized it)
and everything now works fine.

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2009-03-30 18:25         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mar 30, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I think I figured out the problem. I reset
> org-emphasis-regexp-components to the new default (I had customized
> it)
> and everything now works fine.

Ah, yes, that explains it.

- Carsten