Nico, thanks. neither =verbatim markup= (if that's the usage), nor a non~breaking~space give me, in my output, a plain, unadorned "xxcall_foo()". i *do* think xxcall_foo() is very intuitive for both sets of people, both those who want xx+results and those who want literal xxcall_foo(). so, probably there's no right, wrong. but, imho, there should be some fairly simple way to export, in the text one wants, a simple literal xxcall_foo() (as well as a simple way to export xx+results). all said and done, probably (aesthetics?) i'd go for using a hash (#) as the "paste" character. i guess it's a bit more complicated than just changing: ---- : (looking-at "\\<[#]?call_\\([^ \t\n[(]+\\)[([]")) ---- in ob-element.el. below is my cut. (i used two invocations of "string-prefix-p" rather than one "string-match", not being sure how expensive the latter is compared to the former.) cheers, Greg