EDIT: The problem is still here, and I managed to find the actual problem. The problem happens when I do the "C-C C-l file:" then select a file. The root cause is that the mini-buffer then lists all the files in the current directory, and when there are many, the mini-buffer becomes quite big. Thus, the current buffer gets its size reduced, and when the cursor was very low in the buffer frame/window(?), the cursor "magically" jumps to a new position, in the part of the buffer that remained visible. It is now perfectly reproducible on my side. On 12/4/23 16:24, Guillaume MULLER wrote: > Hi, > > Sorry for coming back that late on this problem. The problem came back again today: Links get inserted into random places again. > > I think I have (the beginning of) an idea where problem lies. > > Context: > - I'm using (Doom)Emacs in emacs-client mode, and I'm putting my computer only on sleep at night, so Emacs (daemon) often runs for weeks > - I regularly do some updates/upgrades: `sh> doom upgrade` or `sh> doom sync -u` (from shell, outside DoomEmacs) >   - Sometimes it works, so I just continue using Emacs >   - But sometimes doing the updates/upgrades while DoomEmacs is running make it go berserk >   - In such cases, I start by running `M-x doom/reload` (from inside Emacs), and if org buffers are going berserk too, I also run `M-x org-reload` >   - If it still does not work (most of the time), I `pkill emacs` and start Emacs again from scratch > > The last time the link insertion issue appeared, I had called `M-x org-reload` after a `M-x doom/reload` after a `sh> doom upgrade`. > > Restarting Emacs solved it. > > I tried calling `M-x org-reload` and inserting some link on the fresh new Emacs process, and it seems to work. > > So the problem apparently comes when calling `M-x org-reload` (from inside Emacs) after calling `sh> doom upgrade` (from outside Emacs). (NOTE: I haven't been able to try if the problem appears when calling `M-x doom/upgrade` (from inside Emacs) yet, as my Emacs is the freshest possible for now). > > My conclusion is that "the bug" probably comes from the fact that the "org-mode" being reloaded is a fresher version than the "org-mode" that was loaded when Emacs-client was started, several weeks ago. > > Not sure if this issue should be pursued or if my franken-usage of Emacs is to be blamed :) > > Cheers > > On 10/9/23 16:40, Guillaume MULLER wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Thanks for the answer... I'll have a look at your links. >> >> However, since I wrote the email, I've seen the behavior occur without changing (at least voluntarily) the cursor position in the Org buffer... >> >> On 10/5/23 12:18, Ihor Radchenko wrote: >>> Guillaume MULLER writes: >>> >>>> ... >>>> - Switch back to (Doom)Emacs ("window"/desktop) >>>> - Click inside the Emacs "window" to give it focus >>>> [Here is the problem: sometimes I forgot that I already started the org-insert-link] >>>> - Call org-insert-link >>>> - Paste the URL >>>> - Validate the link creation >>>> >>>> Then the link is inserted where I clicked last (to give focus to the Emacs "window"). >>> >>> By default, Emacs moves point to where you click. You can do the same >>> thing if you deliberately C-x o from the minibuffer. See 9.3 Editing in >>> the Minibuffer section of Emacs manual. >>> I see nothing wrong on the Org side. >>> >>>> Of course, the problem lies in my mistake of calling twice the org-insert-link method, but the behavior is very strange, and it took me some time to identify why my links were inserted at random places in my text. >>>> >>>> However, wouldn't it be possible to prevent it from the beginning by forbidding me to call org-insert-link twice, i.e. making it a singleton/atomic function (I don't see a UseCase where this could be useful to be able to call it inside itself, but maybe I'm wrong)? >>> >>> Check out 22.1 Mouse Commands for Editing section of Emacs manual. >>> `x-mouse-click-focus-ignore-position' might be something you want to >>> customize. >>> >> > -- Guillaume MULLER Associate Professor, PhD Fayol Institute - ISI Department 🚪 #426 ☎ 04 77 42 02 71 🕸 https://www.mines-stetienne.fr 🧍= Physical Address = Espace Fauriel 29 Rue Pierre et Dominique Ponchardier 42100 Saint-Étienne 📬 = Postal Address = École des Mines de Saint-Étienne 158 cours Fauriel 42100 Saint-Étienne