* Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-14 15:01 Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

If I have multiple timestamps in a TODO item, org-auto-repeat-maybe
only advances the first one.  In the following example, I'd like both
the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps to advance when the item is
marked DONE, but only the SCHEDULED timestamp advances.

 * TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>

This behavior exists in HEAD as well as previous releases, including
7.01h.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.11)
 of 2009-11-10
Package: Org-mode version 7.01trans

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-16  9:55 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-09-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Korty; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
> what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See
>
>     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.
>
> If I have multiple timestamps in a TODO item, org-auto-repeat-maybe
> only advances the first one.  In the following example, I'd like both
> the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps to advance when the item is
> marked DONE, but only the SCHEDULED timestamp advances.
>
> * TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
>   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>

Why not just drop the SCHEDULED: tag and change the DEADLINE task to

DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w -2d>

This way it won't show up in your agenda until Friday -- 2 days before
it's due.

-Bernt

@ 2010-09-16 14:58   ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-16 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> > If I have multiple timestamps in a TODO item, org-auto-repeat-maybe
> > only advances the first one.  In the following example, I'd like both
> > the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps to advance when the item is
> > marked DONE, but only the SCHEDULED timestamp advances.
> >
> > * TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
> >   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>
>
> Why not just drop the SCHEDULED: tag and change the DEADLINE task to
>
> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w -2d>
>
> This way it won't show up in your agenda until Friday -- 2 days before
> it's due.

Right, but then it will show up in tags-todo lists before I want it
to.  An example is renewing my driver's license, for which I could use

    DEADLINE: <2011-10-12 Wed ++4y -2w>

but it would show up in tags-todo lists way before it would make sense
to renew.  Although I suppose I could set org-agenda-ignore-deadlines
to 'all and just rely on the daily/weekly agenda to show them to me ...

ajk

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-16 15:28     ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andrew J. Korty <ajk@iu.edu> wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
> > > If I have multiple timestamps in a TODO item, org-auto-repeat-maybe
> > > only advances the first one.  In the following example, I'd like both
> > > the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps to advance when the item is
> > > marked DONE, but only the SCHEDULED timestamp advances.
> > >
> > > * TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
> > >   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>
> >
> > Why not just drop the SCHEDULED: tag and change the DEADLINE task to
> >
> > DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w -2d>
> >
> > This way it won't show up in your agenda until Friday -- 2 days before
> > it's due.
>
> Right, but then it will show up in tags-todo lists before I want it
> to.  An example is renewing my driver's license, for which I could use
>
>     DEADLINE: <2011-10-12 Wed ++4y -2w>
>
> but it would show up in tags-todo lists way before it would make sense
> to renew.  Although I suppose I could set org-agenda-ignore-deadlines
> to 'all and just rely on the daily/weekly agenda to show them to me ...

Oops, frobbing org-agenda-ignore-deadlines won't help.  It works in
the case of driver's license renewal, but it breaks a different case.
Say I've been asked to review a document by October 31.  So I set a
deadline of 2010-12-31.  But I do want to see it on my tags-todo list
now because if I had time now, I could review the documents and submit
my comments well before the deadline.

So that's why I use both SCHEDULE and DEADLINE: for tasks I want to
hide from the daily/weekly agenda *and* tags-todo lists until a
certain date without removing unscheduled items with deadlines from
tags-todo lists.

ajk

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-17 12:05 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-17 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Korty; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
> what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See
>
>     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.
>
> If I have multiple timestamps in a TODO item, org-auto-repeat-maybe
> only advances the first one.  In the following example, I'd like both
> the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps to advance when the item is
> marked DONE, but only the SCHEDULED timestamp advances.
>
> * TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
>   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>

I can confirm this bug, although AFAICT it occurs only when both the
SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeating syntax are of the "++" variety.

E.g.,

The example above results in:

* TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
  SCHEDULED: <2010-09-24 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>

However, if the scheduled timestamp is not a "double plus" (++), then
the timestamps advance as expected:

* TODO Another example
  SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri +1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>

becomes...

* TODO Another example
  SCHEDULED: <2010-09-24 Fri +1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-26 Sun ++1w>

Other combinations also work as expected:

* TODO Another example
  SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri .+1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun .+1w>

becomes...

* TODO Another example
  SCHEDULED: <2010-09-24 Fri .+1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-24 Fri .+1w>

Best,
Matt

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-17 12:29       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-17 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Korty; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

"Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Andrew J. Korty <ajk@iu.edu> wrote:

>> task to > > DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w -2d>
>> before
>> > it's due.
>>
>> Right, but then it will show up in tags-todo lists before I want it
>> to.  An example is renewing my driver's license, for which I could
>> use
>>
>>     DEADLINE: <2011-10-12 Wed ++4y -2w>
>>
>> but it would show up in tags-todo lists way before it would make
>> sense to renew.  Although I suppose I could set
>> org-agenda-ignore-deadlines to 'all and just rely on the
>> daily/weekly agenda to show them to me ...
>
> Oops, frobbing org-agenda-ignore-deadlines won't help.  It works in
> the case of driver's license renewal, but it breaks a different case.
> Say I've been asked to review a document by October 31.  So I set a
> deadline of 2010-12-31.  But I do want to see it on my tags-todo list
> now because if I had time now, I could review the documents and submit
> my comments well before the deadline.

I assume you mean org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines. In this particular
case you could set that variable to 'far, which causes deadlines to be
displayed only when they fall within the lead time specified in
org-agenda-warning days or (as in the example above) in the timestamp
itself.

Here's an example:

* TODO Review really important document
  DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun -2m>
* TODO Review less important document
  DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun>

Let's assume the following settings:

(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far
      org-deadline-warning-days 14)

With these settings, the first task would show up *today* both in your
agenda and in your TODO list, while the second task would appear in both
places two weeks before the deadline.

That said, I sometimes set both a scheduled and deadline timestamp to
create an extra reminder/safety net, so the original bug you reported is
certainly an issue.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-17 12:43   ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-17 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

>> If I have multiple timestamps in a TODO item, org-auto-repeat-maybe
>> only advances the first one.  In the following example, I'd like both
>> the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE timestamps to advance when the item is
>> marked DONE, but only the SCHEDULED timestamp advances.
>>
>> * TODO do something by Sunday but not until Friday
>>   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-17 Fri ++1w> DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w>
>
> I can confirm this bug, although AFAICT it occurs only when both the
> SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeating syntax are of the "++" variety.

Agreed -- hadn't noticed that before.

ajk

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-17 12:48         ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-17 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> * TODO Review really important document
>   DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun -2m>
> * TODO Review less important document
>   DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun>
>
> Let's assume the following settings:

> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far
>       org-deadline-warning-days 14)
>
> With these settings, the first task would show up *today* both in your
> agenda and in your TODO list, while the second task would appear in both
> places two weeks before the deadline.

Right, but what I want is for the second task to appear in the todo
list even before two weeks before the deadline, and I don't want it to
appear in the agenda until two weeks before the deadline.  In other
words, I always want to see tasks I can do now in my todo lists,
whereas I only want to see tasks that are due soon in the agenda.
Lengthening the lead time won't help because it unnecessarily shows
tasks in the agenda that aren't due soon.

But maybe my usage is not an intended one.

ajk

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-17 18:47           ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-17 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Korty; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

>> * TODO Review really important document
>>   DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun -2m>
>> * TODO Review less important document
>>   DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun>
>>
>> Let's assume the following settings:

>> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far
>>       org-deadline-warning-days 14)
>>
>> With these settings, the first task would show up *today* both in your
>> agenda and in your TODO list, while the second task would appear in both
>> places two weeks before the deadline.
>
> Right, but what I want is for the second task to appear in the todo
> list even before two weeks before the deadline, and I don't want it to
> appear in the agenda until two weeks before the deadline. In other
> words, I always want to see tasks I can do now in my todo lists,
> whereas I only want to see tasks that are due soon in the agenda.
> Lengthening the lead time won't help because it unnecessarily shows
> tasks in the agenda that aren't due soon.
>
> But maybe my usage is not an intended one.

Oops. I misunderstood your request.

What you are describing is org-mode's default behavior---i.e., to show
all todos with deadlines in the todo list, but only to show deadlines in
the agenda when they are within org-deadline-warning days.

To ensure this behavior, you'll want to make sure that
org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines is set to nil (the default). All todos
with deadlines will then appear in your todo list.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-17 21:34             ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-17 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> "Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:
>
> > Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> >
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >> * TODO Review really important document
> >>   DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun -2m>
> >> * TODO Review less important document
> >>   DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun>
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >>
> >> Let's assume the following settings:
> >>
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far
> >>       org-deadline-warning-days 14)
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >>
> >> With these settings, the first task would show up *today* both in your
> >> agenda and in your TODO list, while the second task would appear in both
> >> places two weeks before the deadline.
> >
> > Right, but what I want is for the second task to appear in the todo
> > list even before two weeks before the deadline, and I don't want it to
> > appear in the agenda until two weeks before the deadline. In other
> > words, I always want to see tasks I can do now in my todo lists,
> > whereas I only want to see tasks that are due soon in the agenda.
> > Lengthening the lead time won't help because it unnecessarily shows
> > tasks in the agenda that aren't due soon.
> >
> > But maybe my usage is not an intended one.
>
> Oops. I misunderstood your request.
>
> What you are describing is org-mode's default behavior---i.e., to show
> all todos with deadlines in the todo list, but only to show deadlines in
> the agenda when they are within org-deadline-warning days.
>
> To ensure this behavior, you'll want to make sure that
> org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines is set to nil (the default). All todos
> with deadlines will then appear in your todo list.

True, but then we're back to the problem with the driver's license
renewal.

ajk

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-18  2:39               ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-09-18  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew J. Korty; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

>> > Right, but what I want is for the second task to appear in the todo
>> > list even before two weeks before the deadline, and I don't want it to
>> > appear in the agenda until two weeks before the deadline. In other
>> > words, I always want to see tasks I can do now in my todo lists,
>> > whereas I only want to see tasks that are due soon in the agenda.
>> > Lengthening the lead time won't help because it unnecessarily shows
>> > tasks in the agenda that aren't due soon.
>> >
>> > But maybe my usage is not an intended one.
>>
>> Oops. I misunderstood your request.
>>
>> What you are describing is org-mode's default behavior---i.e., to show
>> all todos with deadlines in the todo list, but only to show deadlines in
>> the agenda when they are within org-deadline-warning days.
>>
>> To ensure this behavior, you'll want to make sure that
>> org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines is set to nil (the default). All todos
>> with deadlines will then appear in your todo list.
>
> True, but then we're back to the problem with the driver's license
> renewal.

I knew there was a reason for example I provided above. :)

If I understand you correctly, you'd like: 1) deadlines to show up on
your todo list, 2) but not if they are too far away (let's say more than
1 year from now). I believe this scenario is essentially covered by the
original example I provided; all that is required is some tweaking.

Does this custom command accomplish what you're looking for?

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("d" "Todos (incl. deadlines)" todo ""
	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 100) ;; change this as you wish
	  (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far))))

With this command, you'd see all todos with deadlines that fall a
reasonable distance from the present (in this case, the next 100 days),
but wouldn't see the drivers license renewal 4 years from now.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
@ 2010-09-18 13:08                 ` Andrew J. Korty
From: Andrew J. Korty @ 2010-09-18 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("d" "Todos (incl. deadlines)" todo ""
> 	 ((org-deadline-warning-days 100) ;; change this as you wish
> 	  (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far))))

Ah, brilliant.  Thanks!  Essentially this configuration causes the
lead time indicator to mean different things in the agenda versus
tags-todo lists, which is just what I wanted.

I still need to decide if I prefer using lead times to scheduling the
entry (which, for non-repeating entries is slightly easier with the
C-c C-s keybinding).  So I may submit a patch for updating all ++
repeaters when I get around to it.  Or maybe all I need is a function
to prompt for a lead time and add it to the deadline (from the agenda
or the org file).

ajk