From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com
Subject: Re: org-mobile-push
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:54:33 -0400	[thread overview]

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> wrote:

> When I give M-x org-mobile-push I get an error:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: appt-make-list
>
> What could be wrong?
>
> I am running org-mode 7.7

Who knows? org itself does not call appt-make-list from
anywhere, so you have probably set up a hook somewhere
to call it and forgotten all about it.

<soapbox>
It is one of the ambitions of my life (and I'm sure that ambition is
shared by several people on this list) to train everybody to get a
backtrace *first* after they get an error - do not post to the list, do
not pass GO, do not collect USD200 until you have the backtrace in
hand.[fn:1] Often, the backtrace tells enough so you can fix the problem
without any further ado, but even if you cannot or do not want to read
backtraces, the people on the list who are able/willing to look at the
problem find them very useful: trust me on that.

So pretty please: when you get an error, *at the very least*, do

   M-x toggle-debug-on-error

and then try to reproduce the error. That will give you the
required backtrace. For extra points, reload uncompiled org
and then try to reproduce the error: the resulting backtrace
is more informative with uncompiled code.
</soapbox>

In your case, app-make-list is defined in appt.el and if you visit the
file, you will see at the very bottom that it does

    (provide 'appt)

which means that you can load the file and therefore define the function
by inserting

    (require 'appt)

somewhere in your initialization file. But I think of this as solving
the problem by peeking at the solutions in the back of the book:
wouldn't you want to find out what caused the problem in the
first place?

Cheers,
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] But if you try and fail, which happens sometimes, feel free to
       say so in your post. I don't want to dissuade anybody from asking
       a question: I just want to expedite the process of getting to
       the answer.