* Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 15:50 juh
From: juh @ 2021-12-21 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Dear all,

this configuration does not work.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
     (use-package ox-context
       :straight (ox-context :type git :host github :repo
"Jason-S-Ross/ox-context")
     :config
     (add-to-list 'org-context-presets-alist
      '("book" .
        (:literal "\n\\environment juh.env-garamond
   \n\\environment juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8
   \n\\environment juh.env-makeups
   \n\\environment juh.env-umbruch
   \n\\environment juh.env-heading
   \n\\environment juh.env-layout
   \n\\environment juh.env-header-footer
   \n\\environment juh.env-ligaturen"
         :template "report"
         :snippets ("title-article")))))
#+end_src

test.org:

#+title: Test
#+context_preset: book
#+context_snippet: title-snippet

I get an export but the styles are not applied.

Any hints?
juh

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 16:19 ` Jason Ross
From: Jason Ross @ 2021-12-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/21/21 7:50 AM, juh wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> this configuration does not work.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>      (use-package ox-context
>        :straight (ox-context :type git :host github :repo
> "Jason-S-Ross/ox-context")
>      :config
>      (add-to-list 'org-context-presets-alist
>       '("book" .
>         (:literal "\n\\environment juh.env-garamond
>    \n\\environment juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8
>    \n\\environment juh.env-makeups
>    \n\\environment juh.env-umbruch
>    \n\\environment juh.env-heading
>    \n\\environment juh.env-layout
>    \n\\environment juh.env-header-footer
>    \n\\environment juh.env-ligaturen"
>          :template "report"
>          :snippets ("title-article")))))
> #+end_src
>
> test.org:
>
> #+title: Test
> #+context_preset: book
> #+context_snippet: title-snippet
>
> I get an export but the styles are not applied.
>
> Any hints?
> juh

Your configuration looks correct to me.

Can you verify that the lines

     \environment juh.env-garamond
     \environment juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8
     \environment juh.env-makeups
     \environment juh.env-umbruch
     \environment juh.env-heading
     \environment juh.env-layout
     \environment juh.env-header-footer
     \environment juh.env-ligaturen

appear in the file "test.mkiv" that gets generated?

Thanks,

Jason

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 17:55   ` juh
From: juh @ 2021-12-21 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 21.12.21 17:19, Jason Ross wrote:

> Your configuration looks correct to me.
>
> Can you verify that the lines
>
>      \environment juh.env-garamond
>      \environment juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8
>      \environment juh.env-makeups
>      \environment juh.env-umbruch
>      \environment juh.env-heading
>      \environment juh.env-layout
>      \environment juh.env-header-footer
>      \environment juh.env-ligaturen
>
> appear in the file "test.mkiv" that gets generated?

Yes:

%===============================================================================
% Preset Commands
%===============================================================================
\environment juh.env-garamond

\environment juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8

\environment juh.env-makeups

\environment juh.env-umbruch

\environment juh.env-heading

\environment juh.env-layout

\environment juh.env-header-footer

\environment juh.env-ligaturen

When I manually run the mkiv file I get this.

open source     > level 1, order 2, name './test.mkiv'
open source     > level 2, order 3, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-garamond.tex'

selectfont      > the requested font 'TypographyTribute' has no files
for the 'tf' alternative, Latin Modern is used instead.
close source    > level 2, order 3, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-garamond.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 4, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8.tex'

close source    > level 2, order 4, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 5, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-makeups.tex'

setup           > error in line 50, namespace 'layout', instance
'coverpage', key 'setups:coverpage,'
close source    > level 2, order 5, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-makeups.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 6, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-umbruch.tex'

close source    > level 2, order 6, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-umbruch.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 7, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-heading.tex'

close source    > level 2, order 7, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-heading.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 8, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-layout.tex'

modules         > 'layout' is loaded
open source     > level 3, order 9, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/modules/mkiv/m-layout.mkiv'

close source    > level 3, order 9, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/modules/mkiv/m-layout.mkiv'

fonts           > beware: no fonts are loaded yet, using 'lm mono' in box
close source    > level 2, order 9, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-layout.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 10, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-header-footer.tex'

close source    > level 2, order 10, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-header-footer.tex'

open source     > level 2, order 11, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-ligaturen.tex'

close source    > level 2, order 11, name
'/home/juh/juh.context/tex/texmf-local/juh.context-styles/juh.env-ligaturen.tex'

fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > defining > font 'lmroman12-regular', feature 'locl',
script 'latn', no language 'dflt'
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded

There is an error with juh.env-makeups.tex which does not show up, when
I use the environment in an other context. I removed it and got no
change in layout.

I attached the intermediate mkiv-file and the log.

[-- Attachment #2: test.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 5654 bytes --]

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 18:04     ` Jason Ross
From: Jason Ross @ 2021-12-21 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/21/21 9:55 AM, juh wrote:

> Yes:
>
> %===============================================================================
>
> % Preset Commands
> %===============================================================================
>
> \environment juh.env-garamond
>
> \environment juh.env-garamond-trimsize5-8
>
> \environment juh.env-makeups
>
> \environment juh.env-umbruch
>
> \environment juh.env-heading
>
> \environment juh.env-layout
>
> \environment juh.env-header-footer
>
> \environment juh.env-ligaturen
>
> When I manually run the mkiv file I get this.
>
> There is an error with juh.env-makeups.tex which does not show up, when
> I use the environment in an other context. I removed it and got no
> change in layout.
>
> I attached the intermediate mkiv-file and the log.

There is a problem on the ConTeXt side of things. ox-context just calls
the ConTeXt process on the output file (it's exactly equivalent to
calling `context test.mkiv` from the terminal).

Jason

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 18:36       ` juh
From: juh @ 2021-12-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 21.12.21 19:04, Jason Ross wrote:
> There is a problem on the ConTeXt side of things. ox-context just calls
> the ConTeXt process on the output file (it's exactly equivalent to
> calling `context test.mkiv` from the terminal)

Very strange. I have to dig deeper.

Thanks!
juh

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 18:56         ` juh
From: juh @ 2021-12-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Dienstag, dem 21.12.2021 um 19:36 +0100 schrieb juh

Ok, one thing solved.

I normally call context with --mode=trimsize to activate the given
trimsize. Can I set this in org-mode?

When I manually compile test.mkiv I get the right page dimensions but
the layout  is scrambled. Maybe interferences with the default
settings?

Sorry, but I am still trying to understand what is going on in the
background of emacs export.

juh

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-21 19:05           ` Jason Ross
From: Jason Ross @ 2021-12-21 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/21/21 10:56 AM, juh wrote:
> Am Dienstag, dem 21.12.2021 um 19:36 +0100 schrieb juh
>
> Ok, one thing solved.
>
> I normally call context with --mode=trimsize to activate the given
> trimsize. Can I set this in org-mode?
>
> When I manually compile test.mkiv I get the right page dimensions but
> the layout  is scrambled. Maybe interferences with the default
> settings?
>
> Sorry, but I am still trying to understand what is going on in the
> background of emacs export.
>

> juh

Try `(setq org-context-pdf-process '("context --mode=trimsize %f"))`
to set this as the default.

Jason

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-22 11:24             ` juh
From: juh @ 2021-12-22 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Ross, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ross,

Am Dienstag, dem 21.12.2021 um 11:05 -0800 schrieb Jason Ross:
> Try `(setq org-context-pdf-process '("context --mode=trimsize %f"))`
> to set this as the default.

thanks a lot. The team "emacs org-mode ox-context" seems to be quite
flexible. :-)

In the meantime I debugged my context styles and discovered that ox-
context starts with section not with chapters. My styles are always
book styles starting at chapter level. *feeling a little dumb*

I browsed through the code and found no hint for a book-like preset or
a switch to start at chapter level. I made a feature request about
this.

One more thing.

#+begin_quote

results in the verbatim line

OrgBlockQuoteEnu­mEmpty 1

in the pdf and a very indented quote block.

In html export I get an normal indented blockquote.

Merry Chrismas and a happy new year!
juh

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-22 18:37               ` Jason Ross
From: Jason Ross @ 2021-12-22 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juh, emacs-orgmode

On 12/22/21 3:24 AM, juh wrote:
> In the meantime I debugged my context styles and discovered that ox-
> context starts with section not with chapters. My styles are always
> book styles starting at chapter level. *feeling a little dumb*
>
> I browsed through the code and found no hint for a book-like preset or
> a switch to start at chapter level. I made a feature request about
> this.

Thank you for bringing this up. I'd like to discuss this a bit with you
before implementing such a feature.

I'm not sure how an implementation of this would look to the end user.
ConTeXt has the following system:
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/_section

\part			highest level of sectioning
\chapter		level 2
\section		level 3
\subsection		level 4
\subsubsection		level 5
\subsubsubsection	level 6
\subsubsubsubsection	level 7
\title			level 2, unnumbered
\subject		level 3, unnumbered
\subsubject		level 4, unnumbered
\subsubsubject		level 5, unnumbered
\subsubsubsubject	level 6, unnumbered
\subsubsubsubsubject	level 7, unnumbered

So there are a couple of questions that need to be answered:

1. There's no "level 1, unnumbered" sectioning command in ConTeXt.
    How should this be handled?
2. How does the user specify which sectioning scheme to use?

Question (1) implies that the user may need to choose their highest
level to be either a part or a chapter in order to have unnumbered
level 1 sections. Things start to get complicated if we do that.

To avoid these questions, I went with the simplest implementation
possible and just concatenated "sub"*n with either "section" or
"subject" to create a sectioning command of depth n.

My understanding is that the sectioning commands are flexible enough
that any desired result in the output pdf can be produced by modifying
the sectioning commands in the preamble. However, if you are using
existing environments that rely on those specific names you are out of
luck.

For your purposes, if you need a fix _right now_, consider overriding
the definition of `org-context--get-headline-command` to something
like this:

#+begin_src elisp
(defun org-context--get-headline-command (headline info)
   "Create a headline name with the correct depth.
HEADLINE is the headline object. INFO is a plist containing
contextual information."
   (let* ((level (org-export-get-relative-level headline info))
          (numberedp (org-export-numbered-headline-p headline info))
          (hname
           (cond
            ((and (= 1 level) numberedp) "chapter")
            ((= 1 level) "title")
            (t (let ((prefix (apply 'concat (make-list (+ level (- 2))
"sub")))
                     (suffix (if numberedp "section" "subject")))
                 (concat prefix suffix)))))
          (notoc (org-export-excluded-from-toc-p headline info)))
     (if notoc
         (format "%sNoToc" hname)
       hname)))
#+end_src

> One more thing.
>
> #+begin_quote
>
> results in the verbatim line
>
> OrgBlockQuoteEnu­mEmpty 1
>
> in the pdf and a very indented quote block.
>
> In html export I get an normal indented blockquote.

This is fixed on the "develop" branch as of today. I missed a comma...

Thanks,

Jason

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-23  7:24                 ` juh
From: juh @ 2021-12-23  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Ross, emacs-orgmode

Am Mittwoch, dem 22.12.2021 um 10:37 -0800 schrieb Jason Ross:

> Thank you for bringing this up. I'd like to discuss this a bit with
> you
> before implementing such a feature.
>
> I'm not sure how an implementation of this would look to the end
> user.
> ConTeXt has the following system:
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/_section
>
> \part                   highest level of sectioning
> \chapter                level 2
> \section                level 3
> \subsection             level 4
> \subsubsection          level 5
> \subsubsubsection       level 6
> \subsubsubsubsection    level 7
> \title                  level 2, unnumbered
> \subject                level 3, unnumbered
> \subsubject             level 4, unnumbered
> \subsubsubject          level 5, unnumbered
> \subsubsubsubject       level 6, unnumbered
> \subsubsubsubsubject    level 7, unnumbered
>

> So there are a couple of questions that need to be answered:
>
> 1. There's no "level 1, unnumbered" sectioning command in ConTeXt.
>     How should this be handled?
> 2. How does the user specify which sectioning scheme to use?
>
> Question (1) implies that the user may need to choose their highest
> level to be either a part or a chapter in order to have unnumbered
> level 1 sections. Things start to get complicated if we do that.

I think that the scheme is conventional, and grown up with books and
LaTeX we are accustomed to it. The chapter-title scheme seems to be
from ConTeXt and I don't know the real reason behind this.

For me the part-chapter-section line is the book oriented sectioning
(with or without numbering) as books can have parts, often have
chapters and sometimes sections.

The title-subject line is the magazine oriented line, because articles
in  a magazine or essays in a collection only have titles and subjects,
and they are complete units which could be published elsewhere.

(Sometimes I use titles to mark special chapters that don't appear in
the table of contents.)

I don't think that what we do is always logical and consistent in
itself. But it might be a good memory hook to organize different items
such as books with chapters, articles and independent essays collected
in a book.

To get a broader view on this, we should discuss it in the ConTeXt
mailinglist.

I am deploying a production chain with Markdown-Pandoc-ConTeXt in my
organization. AFAIK Pandoc only produces the part-chapter-section line
while the highest level is configurable. So if we ever need a title-
subject scheme we will have to use filters.

> To avoid these questions, I went with the simplest implementation
> possible and just concatenated "sub"*n with either "section" or
> "subject" to create a sectioning command of depth n.
>
> My understanding is that the sectioning commands are flexible enough
> that any desired result in the output pdf can be produced by
> modifying
> the sectioning commands in the preamble. However, if you are using
> existing environments that rely on those specific names you are out
> of
> luck.

Yes I think they are flexible enough and I can customize my styles, but
I would prefer to have a solution which can be used with the usual
sectioning of ConTeXt.

My proposal would be

1.) to have a switch for using
	(a) the part-chapter-section line or
	(b) the title-subject-line on export.

2.) to have a customization for (a) similiar to pandocs "top-level-
division"

> For your purposes, if you need a fix _right now_, consider overriding
> the definition of `org-context--get-headline-command` to something
> like this:
>
> #+begin_src elisp
> (defun org-context--get-headline-command (headline info)
>    "Create a headline name with the correct depth.
> HEADLINE is the headline object. INFO is a plist containing
> contextual information."
>    (let* ((level (org-export-get-relative-level headline info))
>           (numberedp (org-export-numbered-headline-p headline info))
>           (hname
>            (cond
>             ((and (= 1 level) numberedp) "chapter")
>             ((= 1 level) "title")
>             (t (let ((prefix (apply 'concat (make-list (+ level (-
> 2))
> "sub")))
>                      (suffix (if numberedp "section" "subject")))
>                  (concat prefix suffix)))))
>           (notoc (org-export-excluded-from-toc-p headline info)))
>      (if notoc
>          (format "%sNoToc" hname)
>        hname)))
> #+end_src

Thanks a lot. I will try this the next days.

> This is fixed on the "develop" branch as of today. I missed a
> comma...

Great.

juh

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-23 20:16                   ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2021-12-23 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juh, Jason Ross, emacs-orgmode

What do you think about using context's structurelevels instead? That
would allow users to define their own mappings.

Denis

* Re: Configuring ox-context
@ 2021-12-24 16:36                     ` Jason Ross
From: Jason Ross @ 2021-12-24 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier, juh, emacs-orgmode

On 12/23/21 12:16 PM, Denis Maier wrote:
> What do you think about using context's structurelevels instead? That
> would allow users to define their own mappings.
>
> Denis

That looks like a brilliant solution. I'll have to give it a deeper look
to know for sure though - table of contents commands need the headline
names in order to set up the depth properly. I don't know if there is a
workaround for this in ConTeXt. But, I think this would satisfy Juh's
needs as well. Adding \definesectionlevels to the preamble would allow
them to have whatever sectioning scheme they want.

Jason