* Subscripts in URLs
@ 2012-08-06 15:58 Ken Williams
From: Ken Williams @ 2012-08-06 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

I see in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg01014.html that a patch was committed back in 2010 that should prevent underscores from introducing subscripts in links.  However, I'm using 7.8.03 (released 2012-01-03) and when I insert a link like so:

  [[http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/events/ISP/presentations/JNT_forecast_evaluation_concepts.pdf]]

and export to HTML, I get a link with anchor text http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/events/ISP/presentations/JNTforecastevaluationconcepts.pdf, where "forecastevaluationconcepts" is subscripted.  The link *target* is correct, though.

Was there a subsequent commit that changes things back, or maybe something else I'm missing?  I'd like for the anchor text to just appear without org-mode's formatting stuff.

Thanks.

--
Ken Williams, Senior Research Scientist
WindLogics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

* Re: Subscripts in URLs
@ 2012-08-06 22:52 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-06 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Williams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Ken,

Ken Williams <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:

> I see in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-08/msg01014.html that
> a patch was committed back in 2010 that should prevent underscores from
> introducing subscripts in links.  However, I'm using 7.8.03 (released
> 2012-01-03) and when I insert a link like so:
>
>   [[http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/events/ISP/presentations/JNT_forecast_evaluation_concepts.pdf]]
>
> and export to HTML, I get a link with anchor text
> http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/events/ISP/presentations/JNTforecastevaluationconcepts.pdf,
> where "forecastevaluationconcepts" is subscripted.  The link *target* is
> correct, though.

Maybe you have (setq org-export-with-sub-superscripts t) or ^:t in your
buffer?

Otherwise the link is correctly exported here (I tested 7.8.03 and the
latest version from git.)

> Was there a subsequent commit that changes things back, or maybe something
> else I'm missing?  I'd like for the anchor text to just appear without
> org-mode's formatting stuff.

This should be the default if you use either ^:nil or ^:{}

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Subscripts in URLs
@ 2012-08-07 15:05   ` Ken Williams
From: Ken Williams @ 2012-08-07 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

From: Bastien Guerry [mailto:bastienguerry@googlemail.com]

> Ken Williams <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:
>
> > and export to HTML, I get a link with anchor text
> >
> http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/events/ISP/presentations/JNTforecastevaluati
> on
> > concepts.pdf, where "forecastevaluationconcepts" is subscripted.  The
> > link *target* is correct, though.
>
> Maybe you have (setq org-export-with-sub-superscripts t) or ^:t in your
> buffer?

Indeed, that seems to be the case.  I do want to be able to use subscripts and other markup in general though, but in a URL like this it seems misplaced.

Maybe we could patch the core code to only process link markup when the author has explicitly given the anchor text?  Otherwise, if I'm linking to an external resource, I don't have control over whatever crazy stuff appears in the URL, and underscores are quite common.

 -Ken