* Hang on incomplete input
@ 2011-11-30 22:41 Ken Williams
From: Ken Williams @ 2011-11-30 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Apparently, org-mode Babel (or maybe Emacs, or ESS) will hang when given incomplete input, like the following:

#+begin_src R
ddply(x,
#+end_src

I was just tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my code was hanging, because of course it's much longer and I didn't notice the missing paren.

Is this replicable on other people's platforms too?  I'm using GNU Emacs on Windows, with org-mode 7.7 and ESS 5.14.

There are other situations where I really wish org-mode (or Emacs, or ESS) didn't freeze up while evaluating R code - for example if I accidentally did 'debug()' on a function that's now being called, or even just on long-running calculations.  Any chance evaluation could be done in a separate thread or something?

Thanks.

--
Ken Williams, Senior Research Scientist
WindLogics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.