Hi, Trying to revive an old thread here (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-10/msg01030.html), where Carsten wrote: Carsten Dominik wrote: On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:02 AM, David Rogoff wrote: Thanks - that might do the job. Native would be best, of course. This could be implemented as a little module. One could just run through the outline and put overlays on the stars showing the numbers.Looking for a fun little project, anyone? :-) So here is my attempt at a solution.https://github.com/nma83/org-autonum My elisp might be ugly at places, but this works well for me. Thanks,NMA