Yes, it's very well explained, thank you. I'll try to encode my names by removing any "-" and by adding a dummy letter at the beginning. Is there another way of doing simple database in org-mode? By putting a component's name in a cell, I would like if the other columns could fill them-self with the component's characteristics. (My apologies for the double e-mail, the first one wasn't sent to the mailing list) On , Carsten Dominik wrote: > Hi Christian, > On 5.3.2011, at 04:35, Frozenlock wrote: > > Greetings, > > > > First and foremost, I must say I'ma new Org-mode user... as well as a > new emacs user... and have only limited experience with lisp. > > > > I'm using a table in org-mode as a database, from which I retrieve > information as needed from other tables. > > This database stores multiples components with names starting by > numbers and with the character "-" in them. For example: "10K-AN-D8". > > I want to be able to refer to its column with $10K-AN-D8. Yet, this is > impossible at the moment. > > > > I've looked in org-table.el and found, at line 2038: > > > > (if (string-match "^[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9]*$" name) > > > > which, once replaced by this: > > > > (if (string-match "^[-_a-zA-Z0-9]*$" name) > > > > Provides me with the ability to name (and refer) columns in any way I > want. > > > > However, I'm reluctant to use this feature; surely there was a reason > for this limitation. > > Could someone point it out for me? > This is limitation is present to disambiguate formulas. > In you example $10K-AN-D8, D8 is already a field reference, > so Org does not know if you mean $10K-AN - @8$4. > Furthermore, you could easily arrive at variables like > $10-AN-D8, and then what should the $10 mean? > Of cause one could disambiguate heuristically by checking > which names have been defined. In fact, name replacement > happens first, and this is why your patch appears to > work. But the side effect would be that introducing > new names could change the interpretation of an > existing equation. All this is unstable and > unpredictable. > Hope this makes it clear. > - Carsten