* Bug (?): Indentation of lists and customized TODOs
@ 2012-07-13 10:18 AW
From: AW @ 2012-07-13 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm writing lots of plain lists (»unordered lists«). But the third
line in one item is no longer indented, *if I customize the TODOs* by
adding something like »#+TODO: TODO INPUT ASK MAYBE | CANCELLED DONE«
. So how can I customize org-mode TODOs and keep the lists working?

#+TODO: TODO INPUT ASK MAYBE | CANCELLED DONE
* Überschrift
Example:
  - This is the first line.
  - This is the second line and here I'm adding more and more text. It
    may be the description of something, let's say the summary of one
of a chapter...

You see? The third line is not indented like it should be.

Thank you for your help,

kind regards,

Alexander

* Re: Bug (?): Indentation of lists and customized TODOs
@ 2012-07-13 10:34 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-13 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AW; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:

> #+TODO: TODO INPUT ASK MAYBE | CANCELLED DONE
> * berschrift
> Example:
>   - This is the first line.
>   - This is the second line and here I'm adding more and more text. It
>     may be the description of something, let's say the summary of one
> of a chapter...
>
> You see? The third line is not indented like it should be.

I cannot reproduce it.

Are you using auto-fill-mode? If so, what happens if you put "of
a chapter..." on the same line as "summary of one" and use M-q?

Have you used RET instead of C-j? In that case, you can simply indent
last line manually and resume editing your text.

Also, which Org version are you using?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug (?): Indentation of lists and customized TODOs
@ 2012-07-13 10:50   ` AW
From: AW @ 2012-07-13 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012, 12:34:19 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> Hello,
>
> AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:
> > #+TODO: TODO INPUT ASK MAYBE | CANCELLED DONE
> > * berschrift
> >
> > Example:
> >   - This is the first line.
> >   - This is the second line and here I'm adding more and more text. It
> >
> >     may be the description of something, let's say the summary of one
> >
> > of a chapter...
> >
> > You see? The third line is not indented like it should be.
>
> I cannot reproduce it.
>
> Are you using auto-fill-mode?

YES. 'Should have mentioned, sorry.

> If so, what happens if you put "of
> a chapter..." on the same line as "summary of one" and use M-q?

It get's intendet allright:
  - This is the second line and here I'm adding more and more text. It
    may be the description of something, let's say the summary of one
    of a chapter...

> Have you used RET instead of C-j? In that case, you can simply indent
> last line manually and resume editing your text.

I have used neither of them. I just type the text, auto-fill should make line
breaks, you are right. Auto-fill does, but beginning in the third line,
something fails.

> Also, which Org version are you using?

7.8.11

@ 2012-07-13 12:34     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-13 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AW; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I have used neither of them. I just type the text, auto-fill should make line
> breaks, you are right. Auto-fill does, but beginning in the third line,
> something fails.

Starting with "emacs -Q", I still cannot reproduce your problem. Could
you double-check your configuration?

* Re: Bug (?): Indentation of lists and customized TODOs
@ 2012-07-13 13:07       ` AW
From: AW @ 2012-07-13 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012, 14:34:45 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> > I have used neither of them. I just type the text, auto-fill should make
> > line breaks, you are right. Auto-fill does, but beginning in the third
> > line, something fails.
>
> Starting with "emacs -Q", I still cannot reproduce your problem. Could
> you double-check your configuration?

Yes, I did. When I start Emacs by "emacs -Q" and switch scratch to org-mode, I
can switch on auto-fill as well and it all works like expected.

But if I start with my configuration in .emacs, I get a minor mode "Ind",
which seems to be from "org-indent.el". My .emacs starts this, but I failed to
find in which line. So "Ind" and auto-fill-mode together lead to this strange
behaviour of lists. If I turn off Ind, everything is well. But where to turn
off?

Thanks again for your help,

@ 2012-07-13 14:26         ` AW
From: AW @ 2012-07-13 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Nicolas Goaziou

Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012, 15:07:16 schrieb AW:
> Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012, 14:34:45 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> > > I have used neither of them. I just type the text, auto-fill should make
> > > line breaks, you are right. Auto-fill does, but beginning in the third
> > > line, something fails.
> >
> > Starting with "emacs -Q", I still cannot reproduce your problem. Could
> > you double-check your configuration?
>
> Yes, I did. When I start Emacs by "emacs -Q" and switch scratch to org-mode,
> I can switch on auto-fill as well and it all works like expected.
>
> But if I start with my configuration in .emacs, I get a minor mode "Ind",
> which seems to be from "org-indent.el". My .emacs starts this, but I failed
> to find in which line. So "Ind" and auto-fill-mode together lead to this
> strange behaviour of lists. If I turn off Ind, everything is well. But
> where to turn off?

This is weird. There are some conditions more necessary to reproduce and I'm
still testing.

1. »(setq org-startup-indented t)« does not trigger the wrong indentation.

2. I had this line in .emacs:
»(setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)«
and replaced it with this function:
»
 (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
             (auto-fill-mode 1)))
«

3. The behaviour of lists seems to depend on which kind of text follows.

As soon as I find out, I'll post the result.

@ 2012-07-24 21:21 ` Jeremiah Dodds
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2012-07-24 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing lots of plain lists (»unordered lists«). But the third
> line in one item is no longer indented, *if I customize the TODOs* by
> adding something like »#+TODO: TODO INPUT ASK MAYBE | CANCELLED DONE«
> . So how can I customize org-mode TODOs and keep the lists working?
>

> #+TODO: TODO INPUT ASK MAYBE | CANCELLED DONE
> * berschrift
> Example:
>   - This is the first line.
>   - This is the second line and here I'm adding more and more text. It
>     may be the description of something, let's say the summary of one
> of a chapter...
>
> You see? The third line is not indented like it should be.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> kind regards,
>
> Alexander

I also see this behaviour, more commonly with definition lists, and
(seemingly) somewhat sporadically, it doesn't always happen for me. I
suspected that it had something to do with my setting
`org-cycle-separator-lines` to 0, but I'm currently unable to reproduce
the behaviour with or without that setting.

Guess this is mostly a report of seeing the same behaviour. Also, when
it happens, TAB at the end of the line would fail to indent the line
properly, but if I put a space at the beginning of the line and then hit
TAB it would give me the expected indentation.

I run emacs off of trunk, and org snapshots from ELPA, updating fairly
often. Currently:

emacs-version: 24.1.50.2
org-version: 7.8.11

* Re: Bug (?): Indentation of lists and customized TODOs
@ 2012-07-25  8:59   ` AW
From: AW @ 2012-07-25  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jeremiah Dodds

Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2012, 17:21:37 schrieb Jeremiah Dodds:

> I also see this behaviour, more commonly with definition lists, and
> (seemingly) somewhat sporadically, it doesn't always happen for me. I
> suspected that it had something to do with my setting
> `org-cycle-separator-lines` to 0, but I'm currently unable to reproduce
> the behaviour with or without that setting.
>
> Guess this is mostly a report of seeing the same behaviour. Also, when
> it happens, TAB at the end of the line would fail to indent the line
> properly, but if I put a space at the beginning of the line and then hit
> TAB it would give me the expected indentation.
>
> I run emacs off of trunk, and org snapshots from ELPA, updating fairly
> often. Currently:
>
> emacs-version: 24.1.50.2
> org-version: 7.8.11

Hi Jeremiah,

"somewhat sporadically" is a very good description for the behaviour after I
started to investigate. My best guess is to delete this line from my .emacs:

(setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)

And yes, a TAB fails to indent the line.

@ 2012-07-25 11:21     ` Jeremiah Dodds
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2012-07-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

AW <alexander.willand@t-online.de> writes:

> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> "somewhat sporadically" is a very good description for the behaviour after I
> started to investigate. My best guess is to delete this line from my .emacs:
>
> (setq-default auto-fill-function 'do-auto-fill)
>
> And yes, a TAB fails to indent the line.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexander

I also have that set, that could have something to do with it. If I can
find a reliably reproducible means of triggering the behaviour, I'll
ping back to the list so we can figure out what's going on.

---------------------------------
Jeremiah Dodds

github: https://github.com/jdodds
irc   : exhortatory
---------------------------------

* Re: Bug (?): Indentation of lists and customized TODOs
@ 2012-07-29 20:26     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-07-29 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: AW; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jeremiah Dodds

Hello,

> "somewhat sporadically" is a very good description for the behaviour after I
> started to investigate. My best guess is to delete this line from my
> .emacs:

Hopefully the new filling mechanism shouldn't have this problem. Please
upgrade and tell me if it appears again.

> And yes, a TAB fails to indent the line.

This is expected. The line is outside the list. There no reason that
indent line function should put it inside the list.

Nicolas Goaziou