* Again on bookmarks
@ 2009-11-25 17:06 andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-11-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So finally I had a very nice function to export bookmarks to html file
and I could import them into a whatever browser.

This is nice since quicksilver can read them and I can find them
quickly.

But the problem is that the importing must be done manually (I didn't
find any automatic process) and it's boring.

So why going to a browser at all?

I suggest we could create a "bookmark" entry in the agenda which creates
a big buffer with all the links, maybe filtering the links in local
files or other non interesting things.

The problem with html exporting was also that they were all together for
each file, with a org-mode buffer we could still get the original
structure for every bookmark, and easily go to the original resource.

After it maybe could be possible to write a quicksilver plugin for that
and it will be finally wonderful ;)

* Re: Again on bookmarks
@ 2009-11-25 19:47 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-11-25 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-11-25, andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest we could create a "bookmark" entry in the agenda which creates
> a big buffer with all the links, maybe filtering the links in local
> files or other non interesting things.

That can be done with existing features, IIUC.

I don't know if this is what you're considering, but I'd like to use
org as the central place to store all bookmarks, for all browsers, and
sync.  What needs to be done to make that happen, do you suppose?

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: You only think it's dark. [CDC has denied ME/CFS for 25 years]

* Re: Again on bookmarks
@ 2009-11-26 12:44   ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-11-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 2009-11-25, andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That can be done with existing features, IIUC.
>
> I don't know if this is what you're considering, but I'd like to use
> org as the central place to store all bookmarks, for all browsers, and
> sync.  What needs to be done to make that happen, do you suppose?

I agree with you.
Exporting automatically all the files in the org-agenda to a very big
html file with all the links it's not a big deal.

The problems than for me are
- organization of bookmarks:
  If they are all together it's not so useful, I would like subdiretories

- integration with browsers and automatic importing:
  Without automatic importing/synchronization it's not so useful, we
  should find a common way to collect bookmarks and set the different
  browsers to fetch from it.

Any other thoughts?
If someone uses quicksilver by the way I think an org-mode plugin would
be wonderful, it would be a nice way to experiment with objective C...

* Re: Again on bookmarks
@ 2009-11-26 12:58     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-26 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2009-11-25, andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That can be done with existing features, IIUC.
>>
>> I don't know if this is what you're considering, but I'd like to use
>> org as the central place to store all bookmarks, for all browsers, and
>> sync.  What needs to be done to make that happen, do you suppose?
>
> I agree with you.
> Exporting automatically all the files in the org-agenda to a very big
> html file with all the links it's not a big deal.
>
> The problems than for me are
> - organization of bookmarks:
>   If they are all together it's not so useful, I would like subdiretories
>
> - integration with browsers and automatic importing:
>   Without automatic importing/synchronization it's not so useful, we
>   should find a common way to collect bookmarks and set the different
>   browsers to fetch from it.

See BookmarkExtension:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension

It support now nearly all:
emacs-w3m bookmarks, Firefox bookmarks, Delicious bookmarks, Gnus
bookmarks, Man pages etc...

You can jump to url bookmarks either to w3m or Firefox.

> Any other thoughts?
> If someone uses quicksilver by the way I think an org-mode plugin would
> be wonderful, it would be a nice way to experiment with objective C...

A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: Again on bookmarks
@ 2009-11-26 19:15       ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-11-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>
> See BookmarkExtension:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>
> It support now nearly all:
> emacs-w3m bookmarks, Firefox bookmarks, Delicious bookmarks, Gnus
> bookmarks, Man pages etc...
>
> You can jump to url bookmarks either to w3m or Firefox.

I installed it but it has no kind of documentation and I don't see any
way to export/use from an external browser...

It looks like just a replacement for bookmark in emacs, is there any doc
somewhere?

* Re: Re: Again on bookmarks
@ 2009-11-26 19:33       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-11-26 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thierry,

On 2009-11-26, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> See BookmarkExtension:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>
> It support now nearly all:
> emacs-w3m bookmarks, Firefox bookmarks, Delicious bookmarks, Gnus
> bookmarks, Man pages etc...

The reason I like the idea of using org as the central store is that
it holds a lot of information, including annotations (headline body
text), subheadings, tags, properties, etc.  Possibly even
last-modified date of the web page and last-synced.  It can also be
subsetted using the agenda.

The idea would be that when you, say, save all Firefox tabs that are
currently open to a Firefox bookmark folder, you can export that whole
folder to org.  Then, you can add annotations, move the headlines
anywhere in the agenda files hierarchy, export from org to w3m or
Firefox or Safari (using the agenda to subset), and reimport back to
org without losing the annotations (new browser tabs (web pages) that
org does not know about yet end up in a special place in the org
hierarchy while existing ones sync with existing headlines).

Can the emacs bookmark mechanism serialize all that org data?  If not,
perhaps org would be a good place to store everything.

Maybe we have different ideas, which deserve different implementations?

Samuel

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: You only think it's dark. [CDC has denied ME/CFS for 25 years]

@ 2009-11-26 19:41         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> See BookmarkExtension:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>>
>> It support now nearly all:
>> emacs-w3m bookmarks, Firefox bookmarks, Delicious bookmarks, Gnus
>> bookmarks, Man pages etc...
>>
>> You can jump to url bookmarks either to w3m or Firefox.
>>

> I installed it but it has no kind of documentation and I don't see any
> way to export/use from an external browser...
>
> It looks like just a replacement for bookmark in emacs, is there any doc
> somewhere?
Yes it is enhancement of standard Emacs bookmarks.

I wrote a little doc only to setup Firefox protocols, you will find it
in the directory you get with mercurial.

Before all, you have to setup Firefox.
Read the doc on Emacswiki and the file
bookmark-extensions-documentation.rst.

When done use as standard Emacs bookmarks:
C-x r l
Then for firefox bookmarks just hit "P".

If that work, you can export to an org file with
M-x bmkext-firefox2org

For Delicious bookmarks, you need the library anything-delicious.el.
You will find it on emacswiki also.
or here:(get it with hg clone)

http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/anything-delicious

Read inside the file instruction to setup, specially for the
authentification side.

When done, hit "D" from bookmark menu list (C-x r l)
C-u D will refresh the list from Delicious server.

@ 2009-11-26 19:58         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-26 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Thierry,
>
> On 2009-11-26, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> See BookmarkExtension:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>>
>> It support now nearly all:
>> emacs-w3m bookmarks, Firefox bookmarks, Delicious bookmarks, Gnus
>> bookmarks, Man pages etc...
>
> The reason I like the idea of using org as the central store is that
> it holds a lot of information, including annotations (headline body
> text), subheadings, tags, properties, etc.  Possibly even
> last-modified date of the web page and last-synced.  It can also be
> subsetted using the agenda.

The both are complementary i think.
For Gnus, i use bookmark to quickly save a mail with (C-x r m), but i
also use Org with remember when i want to store more info (TODOS, notes
etc...)

> The idea would be that when you, say, save all Firefox tabs that are
> currently open to a Firefox bookmark folder, you can export that whole
> folder to org.  Then, you can add annotations, move the headlines
> anywhere in the agenda files hierarchy, export from org to w3m or
> Firefox or Safari (using the agenda to subset), and reimport back to
> org without losing the annotations (new browser tabs (web pages) that
> org does not know about yet end up in a special place in the org
> hierarchy while existing ones sync with existing headlines).

You can actually store all Firefox bookmarks to a org file.
Not a specific Firefox bookmark folder (that can be done though).

> Can the emacs bookmark mechanism serialize all that org data?  If not,
> perhaps org would be a good place to store everything.

For the moment, from firefox, i record only the title and url of
bookmarks.
however,i can record more infos if needed:
All infos that are provided by the firefox bookmarks.

--

@ 2009-11-26 20:15           ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-11-26 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-11-26, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> reimport back to
>> org without losing the annotations (new browser tabs (web pages) that
>> org does not know about yet end up in a special place in the org
>> hierarchy while existing ones sync with existing headlines).
>
> You can actually store all Firefox bookmarks to a org file.
> Not a specific Firefox bookmark folder (that can be done though).

If the link is already in an org file, will it update the dates and
avoid adding it to org elsewhere?  Otherwise every time you store to
an org file, you add duplicate entries.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: You only think it's dark. [CDC has denied ME/CFS for 25 years]

@ 2009-11-26 21:05             ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 2009-11-26, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> reimport back to
>>> org without losing the annotations (new browser tabs (web pages) that
>>> org does not know about yet end up in a special place in the org
>>> hierarchy while existing ones sync with existing headlines).
>>
>> You can actually store all Firefox bookmarks to a org file.
>> Not a specific Firefox bookmark folder (that can be done though).
>
> If the link is already in an org file, will it update the dates and
> avoid adding it to org elsewhere?  Otherwise every time you store to
> an org file, you add duplicate entries.

Yes.

--

@ 2009-11-28  8:55               ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-28  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You can actually store all Firefox bookmarks to a org file.
>>> Not a specific Firefox bookmark folder (that can be done though).
>>
>> If the link is already in an org file, will it update the dates and
>> avoid adding it to org elsewhere?  Otherwise every time you store to
>> an org file, you add duplicate entries.
>
> Yes.

When i said yes, i misunderstand what you wrote above, maybe i read too
quickly.
What you asked for was not done at this time.

But now it is. ;-)

You can have now in one org file all your firefox and w3m bookmarks and
synchronize this file with firefox or w3m without duplicating and
without loosing eventual notes you write in your bookmarks entries.

Example of file:

,----

`----