* org agenda search goes to wrong target location
@ 2009-07-24  0:01 Samuel Wales
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-24  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Very often, when I do a keyword search in the agenda (m-x
agenda RET s), org-agenda-switch-to (RET) goes to the wrong
location in the target file.  To sync it, the easiest way that I have
found so far is
to open all agenda buffers, kill all agenda buffers, open
all agenda buffers, and run the search again.

Is there an easier way?

Thanks.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis makes you die decades early (Jason
et al. 2006) and suffer severely.  Conflicts of interest are

* Re: org agenda search goes to wrong target location
@ 2009-07-24  0:09 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-07-24  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Very often, when I do a keyword search in the agenda (m-x
> agenda RET s), org-agenda-switch-to (RET) goes to the wrong
> location in the target file.  To sync it, the easiest way that I have
> found so far is
> to open all agenda buffers, kill all agenda buffers, open
> all agenda buffers, and run the search again.
>
> Is there an easier way?

Does it consistently go to the wrong place?  I've seen issues where the
RET in the agenda goes to the wrong location once but then doing it a
second time it works fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any insight about why this occurs or how to
fix it.

-Bernt

* Re: org agenda search goes to wrong target location
@ 2009-07-24  0:38   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-24  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Typically, I try it again to no avail, kill the buffer and try it
again and get an error, then load all agenda files, kill all agenda
files, load all agenda files, run the search again, then it works.

--

@ 2009-07-25 22:29 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-25 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Very often, when I do a keyword search in the agenda (m-x
> agenda RET s), org-agenda-switch-to (RET) goes to the wrong
> location in the target file.  To sync it, the easiest way that I have
> found so far is
> to open all agenda buffers, kill all agenda buffers, open
> all agenda buffers, and run the search again.

Does this happen only for M-x agenda RET s or for other agenda commands?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org agenda search goes to wrong target location
@ 2009-07-26  0:20   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-26  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It happens in s and in a.

--

@ 2009-08-03 13:40 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-03 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 24, 2009, at 2:01 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Very often, when I do a keyword search in the agenda (m-x
> agenda RET s), org-agenda-switch-to (RET) goes to the wrong
> location in the target file.  To sync it, the easiest way that I have
> found so far is
> to open all agenda buffers, kill all agenda buffers, open
> all agenda buffers, and run the search again.
>
> Is there an easier way?

I would love to fix this problem, so I would be very
grateful if anyone could come up with a testcase that
is reproducible.1

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-18  3:55   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-08-18  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-08-03, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to fix this problem, so I would be very
> grateful if anyone could come up with a testcase that
> is reproducible.1

Do others experience it?

* Re: org agenda search goes to wrong target location
@ 2009-08-19  5:40     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-08-19  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Another bug, probably unrelated, is that if the outline buffer is
nonexistent and you RET on an agenda line, you get wrong type argument
integer of marker p, nil.

  goto-char(nil)
  (let* ((marker ...) (buffer ...) (pos ...)) (switch-to-buffer
buffer) (and delete-other-windows (delete-other-windows)) (widen)
(goto-char pos) (when (org-mode-p) (org-show-context ...)
(save-excursion ...)))
  org-agenda-switch-to()
  call-interactively(org-agenda-switch-to)

Perhaps it could be fixed by loading the file?  Or is the agenda
buffer useless when the buffer is not there?

Thanks.

* Re: org agenda search goes to wrong target location
@ 2009-08-19  8:34       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 19, 2009, at 6:40 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Another bug, probably unrelated, is that if the outline buffer is
> nonexistent and you RET on an agenda line, you get wrong type argument
> integer of marker p, nil.
>
>  goto-char(nil)
>  (let* ((marker ...) (buffer ...) (pos ...)) (switch-to-buffer
> buffer) (and delete-other-windows (delete-other-windows)) (widen)
> (goto-char pos) (when (org-mode-p) (org-show-context ...)
> (save-excursion ...)))
>  org-agenda-switch-to()
>  call-interactively(org-agenda-switch-to)
>
> Perhaps it could be fixed by loading the file?  Or is the agenda
> buffer useless when the buffer is not there?

The agenda uses markers, and these marker become useless when you
remove a buffer.

- Carsten

* Re: org agenda search goes to wrong target location
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-26  3:31 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-08-26  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Still a huge problem.

Noticed another, much less of a problem.  I recently did RET on an id
link and it went to the wrong location.  I went back and did it again
and it was OK.  Related?  Completely unrelated?

Thanks.