* Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-14  9:25 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-07-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi all,

,----
| Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu after stars/bullet and before tags first
|    State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or save it.
|    Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and items. Hide Rest
|
|    When t, `C-a' will bring back the cursor to the beginning of the
|    headline text, i.e. after the stars and after a possible TODO keyword.
|    In an item, this will be the position after the bullet.
|    When the cursor is already at that position, another `C-a' will bring
|    it to the beginning of the line.
|
|    `C-e' will jump to the end of the headline, ignoring the presence of tags
|    in the headline.  A second `C-e' will then jump to the true end of the
|    line, after any tags.
|
|    When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works normally,
|    and only a directly following, identical keypress will bring the cursor
|    to the special positions.
|
|    This may also be a cons cell where the behavior for `C-a' and `C-e' is
|    set separately.
| Groups: Org Edit Structure
`----

How can I set this variable to "reversed", as indicated in the paragraph before the last one?
The "Value Menu" does not include such a value.

Rainer

* Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-15  3:47 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2009-07-15  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Rainer Stengele

Rainer Stengele said unto the world at 14/07/09 05:25 AM:
> hi all,
>
> ,----
> | Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu after stars/bullet and before tags first
> |    State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or save it.
> |    Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and items. Hide Rest
<snip>
> |    When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works normally,
> |    and only a directly following, identical keypress will bring the cursor
> |    to the special positions.
<snip>
> | Groups: Org Edit Structure
> `----
>
> How can I set this variable to "reversed", as indicated in the paragraph before the last one?
> The "Value Menu" does not include such a value.
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Put

(setq org-special-ctrl-a/e 'reversed)

into your .emacs.

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-15  5:48   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-07-15  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rainer Stengele, emacs-orgmode

On 15.07.2009 05:47, Brian van den Broek wrote:
> Rainer Stengele said unto the world at 14/07/09 05:25 AM:
>> hi all,
>>
>> ,----
>> | Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu after stars/bullet and
>> before tags first
>> | State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or
>> save it.
>> | Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and
>> items. Hide Rest
> <snip>
>> | When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works
>> normally,
>> | and only a directly following, identical keypress will bring the cursor
>> | to the special positions.
> <snip>
>> | Groups: Org Edit Structure
>> `----
>>
>> How can I set this variable to "reversed", as indicated in the
>> paragraph before the last one?
>> The "Value Menu" does not include such a value.
>>
>> Rainer
>

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Put
>
> (setq org-special-ctrl-a/e 'reversed)
>
> into your .emacs.
>
> Best,
>
> Brian vdB

Hi Brian,

thanks, that's intuitive ...
I just thought the value could be set in the variable customisation.
Have a nice day,

@ 2009-07-15  5:53   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-07-15  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, emacs-orgmode

On 15.07.2009 05:47, Brian van den Broek wrote:
> Rainer Stengele said unto the world at 14/07/09 05:25 AM:
>> hi all,
>>
>> ,----
>> | Org Special Ctrl A/E: Hide Value Value Menu after stars/bullet and
>> before tags first
>> | State: EDITED, shown value does not take effect until you set or
>> save it.
>> | Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and
>> items. Hide Rest
> <snip>
>> | When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works
>> normally,
>> | and only a directly following, identical keypress will bring the cursor
>> | to the special positions.
> <snip>
>> | Groups: Org Edit Structure
>> `----
>>
>> How can I set this variable to "reversed", as indicated in the
>> paragraph before the last one?
>> The "Value Menu" does not include such a value.
>>
>> Rainer
>

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Put
>
> (setq org-special-ctrl-a/e 'reversed)
>
> into your .emacs.
>
> Best,
>
> Brian vdB

Hi Brian,

thanks, that's intuitive ...
I just thought the value could be set in the variable customisation.
Have a nice day,

Rainer

* Re: Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-15 16:32     ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2009-07-15 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: bastienguerry, Rainer Stengele

Rainer Stengele said unto the world at 15/07/09 01:48 AM:
> On 15.07.2009 05:47, Brian van den Broek wrote:
>> Rainer Stengele said unto the world at 14/07/09 05:25 AM:
>>> hi all,
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> before tags first
>>> save it.
>>> items. Hide Rest
>> <snip>
>>> normally,
>>> cursor
>> <snip>
>>> `----
>>>
>>> How can I set this variable to "reversed", as indicated in the
>>> paragraph before the last one?
>>> The "Value Menu" does not include such a value.
>>>
>>> Rainer
>>

>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> Put
>>
>> (setq org-special-ctrl-a/e 'reversed)
>>
>> into your .emacs.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Brian vdB
>>

> Hi Brian,
>
> thanks, that's intuitive ...
> I just thought the value could be set in the variable customisation.
> Have a nice day,
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

I mostly use customization for discovery and prefer to maintain my
configuration independently of its interface. If you've a bit of elisp
(that's all I've got ;-) it's generally pretty easy to figure out such
things.

Bastien:

As you are wearing the Carsten-hat for the moment, it strikes me that
Rainer's expectation that a documented value for the variable would be
available in the customization value-menu is reasonable. Perhaps the
reversed option ought to be added to that menu? Alas, I can't
patch---it really is but a bit of elisp that I've got.

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-15 17:52       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-15 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: bastienguerry, emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

Brian van den Broek <vanden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bastien:
>
> As you are wearing the Carsten-hat for the moment, it strikes me that
> Rainer's expectation that a documented value for the variable would be
> available in the customization value-menu is reasonable. Perhaps the
> reversed option ought to be added to that menu? Alas, I can't
> patch---it really is but a bit of elisp that I've got.

Here's the defcustom for this variable (found by C-h v org-special-ctrl-a/e <RET>
and then clicking on the file link in the *Help* buffer):

,----
| (defcustom org-special-ctrl-a/e nil
|   "Non-nil means `C-a' and `C-e' behave specially in headlines and items.
|
| When t, `C-a' will bring back the cursor to the beginning of the
| headline text, i.e. after the stars and after a possible TODO keyword.
| In an item, this will be the position after the bullet.
| When the cursor is already at that position, another `C-a' will bring
| it to the beginning of the line.
|
| `C-e' will jump to the end of the headline, ignoring the presence of tags
| in the headline.  A second `C-e' will then jump to the true end of the
| line, after any tags.
|
| When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works normally,
| and only a directly following, identical keypress will bring the cursor
| to the special positions.
|
| This may also be a cons cell where the behavior for `C-a' and `C-e' is
| set separately."
|   :group 'org-edit-structure
|   :type '(choice
| 	  (const :tag "off" nil)
| 	  (const :tag "after stars/bullet and before tags first" t)
| 	  (const :tag "true line boundary first" reversed)
| 	  (cons :tag "Set C-a and C-e separately"
| 		(choice :tag "Special C-a"
| 			(const :tag "off" nil)
| 			(const :tag "after  stars/bullet first" t)
| 			(const :tag "before stars/bullet first" reversed))
| 		(choice :tag "Special C-e"
| 			(const :tag "off" nil)
| 			(const :tag "before tags first" t)
| 			(const :tag "after tags first" reversed)))))

`----

As you can see, the reversed setting is available from the value menu,
under the tag "true line boundary first". So it is there, but perhaps
not obviously.

HTH,
Nick

PS BTW, I share your general dislike of the customization interface, but
I have always thought that I am in the minority on that.

* Re: Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-15 18:15         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-07-15 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: bastienguerry, emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:52, Nick Dokos<nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
> I have always thought that I am in the minority on that.

I think that many people share the opinion.  I wrote a list of
suggestions to help-gnu-emacs and bug-gnu-emacs, but somebody needs to
implement them.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis makes you die decades early (Jason
et al. 2006) and suffer severely.  Conflicts of interest are

* Re: Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-16 20:13       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: Rainer Stengele, emacs-orgmode

Brian van den Broek <vanden@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien:
>
> As you are wearing the Carsten-hat for the moment,

> it strikes me that Rainer's expectation that a documented value for
> the variable would be available in the customization value-menu is
> reasonable. Perhaps the reversed option ought to be added to that
> menu? Alas, I can't patch---it really is but a bit of elisp that I've
> got.

Actually this option is already available from customize -- it is set
when you choose the "true line boundary first" behavior.

I have slightly edited the docstring of this variable to make this
clearer:

  When set to the symbol `reversed', the first `C-a' or `C-e' works
  normally, going to true line boundary first.  Only a directly
  following, identical keypress will bring the cursor to the special
  positions.

 Bastien

* Re: Re: Org Special Ctrl A/E, option "reversed"
@ 2009-07-16 20:20         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-16 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Brian van den Broek <vanden@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien:
>>
>> As you are wearing the Carsten-hat for the moment,

[The blank I left in this previous email was because I wanted to say:
"Yes, and that's a heavy hat :)" Apparently so heavy that it fell onto
my eyes and I forgot to make this noisy comment...  Fixed.]

--
 Bastien