* Org on a Netbook; making a new page sole window after following a link
@ 2009-04-29  9:19 jonathan coupe
From: jonathan coupe @ 2009-04-29  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't know if anyone on the list has tried or reported on this before, but
I'm running Org on a Netbook - an SSD Linux Asus One - and it runs great.
Booting the machine takes around 20 seconds and starting a fresh emacs by
clicking on an org file takes around another two and was even faster before
I added flyspell. I bought the machine because I wanted high power desktop
wiki software I could carry around with me and a couple of days of research
showed that org was easily the best option. If anyone is interested and
wants to know more or to send sample orgs and requests for benchmarks,
please contact me. I'm sure that for some Org users buying a Netbook just to
run Org book-sized will make sense.

Given that the Acer has a decently fast processor, good keyboard, and reads
data from the SSD quickly, the biggest limitation on running Org is screen
space. I've stripped the tool and menu bars from emacs, and the fringe, and
normally run in full screen (I don't think Acer's terrible documentation
tells you how to do this - you need to press Alt-F11, which should tell the
XFCE screen manager that the Acer uses to make any any app full screen). And
this works more than adequately well, except when I've just followed a link
and the screen splits - 1024 x 600 just isn't big enough for this.

My elisp is very rusty and was never that strong, but I thought that I could
deal with this by

     (add-hook 'org-follow-link-hook 'delete-other-windows)

but no, it doesn't work. And a message added to the hook doesn't appear
either. Have I understood the hook? I thought fns attached to it would be
called after I clicked on a link.

Btw, it could make sense to make "toggle full or split screen after
following a link" part of Customize, given how many Netbooks are being sold.
In fact, have I missed an option in Customize that would do this for me?
I've checked several times, but I'm very willing to believe that I might
have messed up - this does seem a super-obvious option to be there.

* Re: Org on a Netbook; making a new page sole window after following a link
@ 2009-04-29 12:57 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-29 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonathan coupe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

jonathan coupe <jonathan.coupe@gmail.com> writes:

> Btw, it could make sense to make "toggle full or split screen after
> following a link" part of Customize, given how many Netbooks are being
> sold. In fact, have I missed an option in Customize that would do this
> for me? I've checked several times, but I'm very willing to believe
> that I might have messed up - this does seem a super-obvious option to
> be there.

Have you tried org-link-frame-setup?

Regards,
Matt

* Re: Org on a Netbook; making a new page sole window after following a link
@ 2009-04-29 17:26   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: jonathan coupe, emacs-orgmode

Nice one.  I will try it.

See also c-h v pop-up windows RET and my recent bug report entitled
"pop-up-windows".

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering
worse than MS.  Conflicts of interest are destroying science.  Anybody can