* reloading causes visibility bug requiring restart
@ 2009-04-05 18:18 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-05 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I can't do the typing to formally document this, so I will just ask if
others experience it.  If not, it will take a while.

Repeatably, with the latest git, emacs 22 cocoa, reloading org causes
folding/visibility/cycling problems that are not fixable by reverting.
 Only restarting emacs fixes it.

The problems are weird enough that it should be obvious if you try it.
 Seemingly random plain list items being the only visible part, etc.
There is no cycling state in which all is shown, either from bob or
from headline.

Thanks.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe
suffering, worse than multiple sclerosis.  It is corrupting science in

* Re: reloading causes visibility bug requiring restart
@ 2009-04-05 19:27 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

is this something that started recently, or that you have observed
over a longer period of time?

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-05 19:33 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-05 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Do you have org-cycle-include-plain-lists set?  If you turn that off
does it work as expected?

-Bernt

@ 2009-04-06  5:56   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-04-06  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
  > Hi Samuel,
  >
  > is this something that started recently, or that you have observed over a
  > longer period of time?

I also experienced those cycling issues in past two days (with no change in
Org config, only git updates) but I have since Emacs a couple of times (for
unrelated reasons.)  I will try gather more details if I see it again.

--
Manish

* Re: reloading causes visibility bug requiring restart
@ 2009-04-06  6:08     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-06  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Manish wrote:

>> On Apr 5, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:
>>
>>> I can't do the typing to formally document this, so I will just
>>> ask if
>>> others experience it. If not, it will take a while.
>>>
>>> Repeatably, with the latest git, emacs 22 cocoa, reloading org
>>> causes
>>> folding/visibility/cycling problems that are not fixable by
>>> reverting.
>>> Only restarting emacs fixes it.
>>>
>>> The problems are weird enough that it should be obvious if you try
>>> it.
>>> Seemingly random plain list items being the only visible part, etc.
>>> There is no cycling state in which all is shown, either from bob or
>>> from headline.
>
>  On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi Samuel,
>>
>> is this something that started recently, or that you have observed
>> over a
>> longer period of time?
>
> I also experienced those cycling issues in past two days (with no
> change in
> Org config, only git updates) but I have since Emacs a couple of
> times (for
> unrelated reasons.)  I will try gather more details if I see it again.

I believe the only visibility change I have made in a log time is the
one
related to inline tasks.  It would be interesting to see if the
problems disappear by going back to commit
49878b0387e6eb0a53971548db8b7a1a9313b4f8

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-06 10:57     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-06 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I believe I know what s causing this.  Reloading Org actually
does load *all* of org, including, for example,
org-inlinetask.  I think that this is what is causing the problems.

That will mean that org-reload needs fixing, and maybe that there is
something wrong with the inline tasks.  If more people could test the
inline tasks, maybe some bug will be identified.

I don't use org-cycle-include-plain-lists, so it ma be that the
interaction of inline tasks with plain list cycling causes some of the
problems.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-06 12:05       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-04-06 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Cannot reproduce this on Linux/emacs23 with inline tasks on.

I added scheduling and logbock drawer too, toggled the todo state for
the inline tasks, reloaded again...

No problem at all.

Maybe a little test file would help to reproduce it?

  Sebastian

@ 2009-04-06 15:47         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-04-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

  > Cannot reproduce this on Linux/emacs23 with inline tasks on.
  >
  > I added scheduling and logbock drawer too, toggled the todo state for
  > the inline tasks, reloaded again...
  >
  > No problem at all.
  >
  > Maybe a little test file would help to reproduce it?

I experienced it briefly this weekend but not any more.  I can not reproduce
this at will.  I also moved to Emacs pre-test at the same time so it could be
something to do with that as well.. or not.  Sorry.

--
Manish

* Re: reloading causes visibility bug requiring restart
@ 2009-04-07  5:21   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-07  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Only tried repeating it in past few d.  Noticed in last few w but
don't remember details and was transient.

(A complicated standard test case .org distributed with org might help
in cases like this -- less need for reporter to create minimal
reproducible version.  If behavior not reproducible, the reporter can
update the test case.)

Yes, I cycle plain lists.  But the issues do not only affect plain
lists.  Most headlines never show with headline cycling.

--

@ 2009-04-07 20:10       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have fixed org-reload, it will now only reload files
that actually have been loaded before.  Also, the reloading
will now also cover any files from the contrib/lisp directory.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-07 20:37         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Carsten.  That sounds like exactly the right solution.

One question.  Are there any org .elc files that perform actions upon
hook or setting a variable that the user might have reset?  If so,
reloading might cause unexpected behavior.  Or is this all taken care
of if the user is careful?  My guess is that you've already considered
this, but thought it worth asking just in case.

--

@ 2009-04-08  6:45           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-08  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Thanks, Carsten.  That sounds like exactly the right solution.
>
> One question.  Are there any org .elc files that perform actions upon
> hook or setting a variable that the user might have reset?  If so,
> reloading might cause unexpected behavior.  Or is this all taken care
> of if the user is careful?  My guess is that you've already considered
> this, but thought it worth asking just in case.

I am not sure myself.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: reloading causes visibility bug requiring restart
@ 2009-05-07 14:48   ` Peter Westlake
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-05-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Bernt Hansen

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:33:34 -0400, "Bernt Hansen" <bernt@norang.ca>
said:
> Do you have org-cycle-include-plain-lists set?  If you turn that off
> does it work as expected?

I have this same bug, and turning off org-cycle-include-plain-lists
does fix it! I thought I had tried everything, but must have missed
this post.

For completeness, here's what I had been about to post:

  The message line says FOLDED, CHILDREN, SUBTREE as it should, but
  the entire top level headline is folded and unfolded as one, with
  text showing even for CHILDREN. Plain lists still work. All
  sub-headlines are treated as text. A list inside a sub-headline
  appears as though the entries were top-level headlines. Motion
  commands still move subtrees correctly. This is Org 6.26trans, as of
  2009-04-30, and the latest emacs-snapshot, 1:20090423. It wasn't
  caused by me trying org-inlinetask, because it happens even without
  that. Outline mode still works properly. Drawers work properly too.

  A completely fresh checkout of org-mode has the same problem.

Thanks for the workaround!

Peter.

@ 2009-05-07 16:07     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-07 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think this is a bug for org-cycle-include-plain-lists - I just haven't
had time to post details yet.

Glad I could help :)

Bernt

@ 2009-05-08  4:24     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-08  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On May 7, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:33:34 -0400, "Bernt Hansen" <bernt@norang.ca>
> said:
>> Do you have org-cycle-include-plain-lists set?  If you turn that off
>> does it work as expected?
>
> I have this same bug, and turning off org-cycle-include-plain-lists
> does fix it! I thought I had tried everything, but must have missed
> this post.
>
> For completeness, here's what I had been about to post:
>
>  The message line says FOLDED, CHILDREN, SUBTREE as it should, but
>  the entire top level headline is folded and unfolded as one, with
>  text showing even for CHILDREN. Plain lists still work. All
>  sub-headlines are treated as text. A list inside a sub-headline
>  appears as though the entries were top-level headlines. Motion
>  commands still move subtrees correctly. This is Org 6.26trans, as of
>  2009-04-30, and the latest emacs-snapshot, 1:20090423. It wasn't
>  caused by me trying org-inlinetask, because it happens even without
>  that. Outline mode still works properly. Drawers work properly too.

I anyone could make an example that allos me to reproduce this problem,
then I might be able to fix it.

@ 2009-05-08 10:20       ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-05-08 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 8 May 2009 06:24:54 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> said:

> I anyone could make an example that allos me to reproduce this
> problem, then I might be able to fix it.

It's trivial:

  * top
  ** sub 1
  Set org-cycle-include-plain-lists.
  Type TAB on this line, and the whole of top gets folded.

  ** sub 2
  This entry is not needed to reproduce the bug. It just
  makes it more visible.

A copy of this is attached, along with the org- settings
from custom-set-variables.

I have org-cycle-emulate-tab set to nil. If you have it set
to something else, anywhere that TAB means "cycle" will show
the problem.

Peter.

[-- Attachment #2: test.org --]

-*- mode: org -*-

* top
** sub 1
Set org-cycle-include-plain-lists.
Type TAB on this line, and the whole of top gets folded.

** sub 2
This entry is not needed to reproduce the bug. It just
makes it more visible.

[-- Attachment #3: test.emacs --]

 '(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("S" "SOMEDAY" ((tags-todo "LATER" nil) (todo "SOMEDAY" nil)) nil nil))))
 '(org-agenda-dim-blocked-tasks (quote invisible))
 '(org-agenda-files .....)
 '(org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit t)
 '(org-agenda-sorting-strategy (quote ((agenda time-up category-keep priority-down) (todo priority-down category-keep) (tags category-keep priority-down) (search category-keep))))
 '(org-agenda-start-on-weekday 1)
 '(org-agenda-start-with-follow-mode nil)
 '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines t)
 '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
 '(org-archive-location "::* Archived Tasks")
 '(org-confirm-elisp-link-function (quote y-or-n-p))
 '(org-cycle-emulate-tab nil)
 '(org-default-notes-file "~/notes/notes.txt")
 '(org-default-priority 68)
 '(org-directory "~/notes")
 '(org-edit-timestamp-down-means-later t)
 '(org-email-link-description-format "Email %c: %.40s")
 '(org-enforce-todo-checkbox-dependencies t)
 '(org-enforce-todo-dependencies t nil nil)
 '(org-from-is-user-regexp "\\<Peter Westlake\\>")
 '(org-hide-emphasis-markers t)
 '(org-insert-mode-line-in-empty-file t)
 '(org-log-done (quote time))
 '(org-log-into-drawer t)
 '(org-lowest-priority 69)
 '(org-modules (quote (org-bbdb org-bibtex org-gnus org-id org-info org-jsinfo org-inlinetask org-irc org-protocol org-wl org-w3m org-depend)))
 '(org-mouse-features (quote (yank-link activate-stars activate-bullets activate-checkboxes)))
'(org-outline-path-complete-in-steps t)
 '(org-refile-targets (quote ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3) (nil :maxlevel . 3))))
 '(org-refile-use-outline-path (quote file))
; '(org-remember-templates .....)
 '(org-special-ctrl-a/e (quote reversed))
 '(org-stuck-projects (quote ("/+PROJECT" ("TODO" "NEXT" "WAITING" "SOMEDAY") ("LATER") "")))
 '(org-timeline-show-empty-dates t)
; '(org-todo-keyword-faces ......)
 '(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO(t)" "|" "DONE") (type "PROJECT(p)" "GOAL(g)" "|" "FINISHED") (sequence "WAITING(w)" "DONE"))))
 '(org-use-fast-todo-selection nil)
 '(outline-regexp "\\*[-_*|+=]*")

* Re: Re: reloading causes visibility bug requiring restart
@ 2009-05-08 10:53         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-08 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter, thanks a lot for nailing this with an example.

I just removed a bug which seems to fix this, please verify.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-08 11:06     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-08 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On May 7, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:33:34 -0400, "Bernt Hansen" <bernt@norang.ca>
> said:
>> Do you have org-cycle-include-plain-lists set?  If you turn that off
>> does it work as expected?
>
> I have this same bug, and turning off org-cycle-include-plain-lists
> does fix it! I thought I had tried everything, but must have missed
> this post.
>
> For completeness, here's what I had been about to post:
>
>  The message line says FOLDED, CHILDREN, SUBTREE as it should, but
>  the entire top level headline is folded and unfolded as one, with
>  text showing even for CHILDREN. Plain lists still work. All
>  sub-headlines are treated as text. A list inside a sub-headline
>  appears as though the entries were top-level headlines. Motion
>  commands still move subtrees correctly. This is Org 6.26trans, as of
>  2009-04-30, and the latest emacs-snapshot, 1:20090423. It wasn't
>  caused by me trying org-inlinetask, because it happens even without
>  that.

This last point still is strange.
Have you by any chance set org-cycle-max-level even though
your customization excerpt does not show it?

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-08 17:56       ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-05-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

> > It wasn't caused by me trying org-inlinetask, because it happens
> > even without that.
>
> This last point still is strange. Have you by any chance set
> org-cycle-max-level even though your customization excerpt
> does not show it?

Okay, I think I have found out what happened here: switching off
org-inlinetask in the org-module customisation is not enough to
prevent the bug, but switching it off and restarting Emacs is.
You mentioned this already in the thread, and I thought I had
allowed for it, but clearly not. Sorry for the confusion.

I can confirm that your fix does indeed work.

Thanks for the speedy response!

Regards,

Peter.