* footnote bug
@ 2009-03-26 20:21 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-03-26 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The following source produces the following output.

************* sorting speed
>> The agenda is wonderful for other stuff, but for me it is
>> not an editing mode per se.  I have never been able to use
>> the agenda for full control over the org file, as some
>> people are able to do.  For me (at least on my computer) it
>> is slow.
>
> What is "slow".  Maybe we can improve things?

You could use cached values for agenda files whose last
update time is earlier than the last agenda scan.  That
could lead to significant speedups for people who have
several agenda files.[fn:15]

[fn:15] It wouldn't help with people who have a single
agenda file, and it wouldn't help with people who very
frequently use all of their agenda files.  For those use
cases, something much more complicated and brittle would
probably be necessary

Output:

You could use cached values for agenda files whose last
update time is earlier than the last agenda scan.  That
could lead to significant speedups for people who have
several agenda files.[1]
[fn:15] It wouldn't help with people who have a single
agenda file, and it wouldn't help with people who very
frequently use all of their agenda files.  For those use
cases, something much more complicated and brittle would
probably be necessary
[1] [fn:15]

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering (worse than nearly all other

* Re: footnote bug
@ 2009-03-30 15:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

caching stuff for the agenda would mean rewriting the agenda code.

Do you have more detailed pointers what operations exactly are slow?
Maybe we can profile and improve these without resorting to cacheing.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-02  5:53   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-02  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I figured that you had already optimized the agenda quite a lot and
that there probably wasn't much that could be done, so I suggested the
only thing that seemed like it might be fast and would not be too
brittle.  I didn't realize the code would need to be rewritten.

For me, everything in the agenda is slow that requires refreshing or
creating a view.  I don't know how to be more specific.

@ 2009-04-02  7:06     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-02  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 2, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I figured that you had already optimized the agenda quite a lot and
> that there probably wasn't much that could be done, so I suggested the
> only thing that seemed like it might be fast and would not be too
> brittle.  I didn't realize the code would need to be rewritten.
>
> For me, everything in the agenda is slow that requires refreshing or
> creating a view.  I don't know how to be more specific.

Hi Samuel,

does it make a noticeable difference when you turn off org-use-tag-
inheritance ?

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-06  4:50       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-06  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Samuel,
>
> does it make a noticeable difference when you turn off
> org-use-tag-inheritance ?

Only slightly.  (And I use inheritance.)