* Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-03-05 19:40 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-03-05 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello list,

Let's say I have some "next action" that I know exactly where to put (what
list), in other words, I don't need to process it (in the GTD terms), I just
need to put it in the correct list. What I would like to do is some
interactive function that would allow me to quickly input a new next action
to a specific list. Maybe each main list in the project could have a
shortcut (like tags do) and when you run this function you enter the string
for the next action item, and quickly says where you want it to go, and it
appends it there. I'm not deep enough in elisp to do that, so, if someone
could help me I would be grateful!

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-03-05 21:00 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-03-05 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Refiling might do what you want.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:40, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Let's say I have some "next action" that I know exactly where to put (what
> list), in other words, I don't need to process it (in the GTD terms), I just
> need to put it in the correct list. What I would like to do is some
> interactive function that would allow me to quickly input a new next action
> to a specific list. Maybe each main list in the project could have a
> shortcut (like tags do) and when you run this function you enter the string
> for the next action item, and quickly says where you want it to go, and it
> appends it there. I'm not deep enough in elisp to do that, so, if someone
> could help me I would be grateful!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering (worse than nearly all other
diseases studied; e.g. Schweitzer et al. 1995) and *grossly*
corrupting science.
http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-03-05 21:27   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-03-05 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Refilling?

@ 2009-03-05 21:40     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-03-05 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

C-h f org-refile.

@ 2009-03-05 21:43       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-03-05 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yeah, maybe I could develop another function that uses refile (or refile's
logic) to get the items where I want to. But the idea is different, I want
to bind this func to a key combo, when it is called it would ask
interactively for the item's string, then, after that, where I would like to
put it (it might ask me to write or to choose from a list - like the add tag
does).

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2009-03-05 21:44     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-03-05 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Refilling?

Refiling is for tasks seeking their parents.
Refilling is usually for beer.
Refillling doesn't yet exist.

Have a look in the manual:

  (info "(org) Refiling notes")

Press C-x C-e at the end of the second parenthesis to directly jump to
the right section.

You might also have a look at Remember, which does what you want for
tasks you create outside an Org buffer:

  (info "(org) Remember")

--
 Bastien

* RE: Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-03-05 22:47       ` Womick, Don
From: Womick, Don @ 2009-03-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

>> Refilling?

> Refiling is for tasks seeking their parents.
> Refilling is usually for beer.
> Refillling doesn't yet exist.

From Ogden Nash:

The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama.*

-------
* The author's attention has been called to the kind of conflagration
known as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

--Don

* Re: Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-03-06  4:00         ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-06  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marcelo,

If I'm understanding it correctly, org-remember with interactive filing
does precisely what you're looking for. You can quickly enter a task and
then type C-1 C-c C-c to choose where to file it.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Remember.html#Remember

Best,
Matt

@ 2009-04-23 18:14           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-23 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello guys! Thank you for the replies. It has been some time but I had lots
of work to do here so didn't have much time to play around.

So, refiling doesn't do exactly what I would like. Some issues I've found:
 * I need to write the data in a buffer first and then C-c C-w to refile it.
 * It only allows you to refile to the root items and doesn't go any deeper.
 * If I'm processing items in a different file (I've setup org-remember to
save the items in a different file) I don't have access to my gtd.org file
lists (can't refile between different files). -- is there a way to get the
items from another file?

org-remember is really powerful and I use it a lot when I have ideas that I
want to process later. However, sometimes you have a specific cristal-clear
next-action in your head and you know where it belongs (i.e the project),
but you want to quickly input it and keep working. This is something I miss
from PlannerMode, where you can quickly input an item and choose which file
it will go, so, that's what I would like org to have, a **quick way to input
items interactivelly, all through the mini-buffer.**

Is there a way to do that? If not, I keep it as a suggestion for next
releases. I'm also willing to contribute as soon as I master elisp!

Keep up the great work,

Marcelo.

@ 2009-04-23 19:52             ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-23 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> So, refiling doesn't do exactly what I would like. Some issues I've
> found:

>  * It only allows you to refile to the root items and doesn't go any
> deeper.

Check out the variable org-refile-targets. You can indicate how many
levels deep you want to be able to refile.

>  * If I'm processing items in a different file (I've setup org-remember
> to save the items in a different file) I don't have access to my
> gtd.org file lists (can't refile between different files). -- is there
> a way to get the items from another file?

Again, check out the variable org-refile-targets.

> org-remember is really powerful and I use it a lot when I have ideas
> that I want to process later. However, sometimes you have a specific
> cristal-clear next-action in your head and you know where it belongs
> (i.e the project), but you want to quickly input it and keep working.
> This is something I miss from PlannerMode, where you can quickly input
> an item and choose which file it will go, so, that's what I would like
> org to have, a **quick way to input items interactivelly, all through
> the mini-buffer.**

Yes, as the instructions at the top of the remember button indicate, you
can use C-1 C-c C-c to "select file and header location interactively."
If you want this as the default action, you can set
org-remember-store-without-prompt to t.

Are you perhaps using an older version of org-mode (version 4.xx)? If
so, you need to update to a more recent version to get these features.

Regards,
Matt

* Re: Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-04-23 21:30               ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-23 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mat, thanks for replying,

Yes, as the instructions at the top of the remember button indicate, you
> can use C-1 C-c C-c to "select file and header location interactively."
> If you want this as the default action, you can set
> org-remember-store-without-prompt to t.

I tried the C-1 C-c C-c key combo but it is not working -- emacs doesn't
seem to caputre the first key combo -- C-1.

Also, I have set org-remember-store-without-prompt to t using set-variable,
but couldn't see any difference. Could you give me an example of the
workflow or how to properly configure it?

I have org-mode version 6.26trans (directly from the git repo, as a
submodule).

Thank you!

Marcelo.

@ 2009-04-23 21:43                 ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-23 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah, I got it. I had Ctrl+1..2 to switch desktops configured in gnome, that's
why it was not being captured by emacs. It is working now. Thank you!

@ 2009-04-23 22:36                   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-04-23 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The only thing that I still didn't get is how to configure the
org-refile-targets variable, I tried doing like this:

(setq org-refile-targets 5)

But it throws an error. What is the correct param for that? Also, how could
I ask emacs the correct param for a specific var?

Thanks!

Marcelo.

@ 2009-04-24  1:32                     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-24  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> The only thing that I still didn't get is how to configure the org-refile-targets variable, I tried doing like this:
>
> (setq org-refile-targets 5)
>
> But it throws an error. What is the correct param for that? Also, how could I ask emacs the correct param for a specific
> var?

I suggest you use M-h v org-refile-targets and then click the
_customize_ link and set it up that way.  This saves me tons of time not
configuring the variables incorrectly and then having to debug it later.

-Bernt

* Re: Quickly inputting next actions to specific lists.
@ 2009-04-24 14:27                   ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2009-04-24 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
> Ah, I got it. I had Ctrl+1..2 to switch desktops configured in gnome, that's
> why it was not being captured by emacs. It is working now. Thank you!

FWIW: C-u 1 is the same as C-1.  It's an extra key, but I prefer using
C-u since it works regardless of the environment I'm running Emacs in.

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US