* undo and folding
@ 2008-11-24 19:44 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-24 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Very often, I will hit undo, only to find that all of the changes it
makes are hidden in a folded subtree.  Combined with the lack of a
non-buggy true redo, this makes things very confusing.

Is there a way to fix this?

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly causing further
suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on this

* Re: undo and folding
@ 2008-11-24 20:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Samuel Wales" <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Samuel,

> Very often, I will hit undo, only to find that all of the changes it
> makes are hidden in a folded subtree.

That happens to me quite often, too.

> Combined with the lack of a non-buggy true redo, this makes things
> very confusing.

Where is emacs' redo buggy?  Any non-undo command after undo followed by
undo will undo your latest undo.  Isn't that easy?

> Is there a way to fix this?

I guess you could add a before advice to `undo', that calls `show-all'.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: undo and folding
@ 2008-11-24 21:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-24 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Not that I know.  Maybe some advice around the undo function,
to make at least point visible after an undo command?  This is
untested, and may be incomplete since it does not take into
account the range in the buffer that was really affected by the undo.
But it may already help:

(defadvice undo (after org-undo-reveal activate)
   "Make point and context visible after an undo command in Org-mode."
   (and (org-mode-p) (org-reveal)))

HTH

- Carsten

On Nov 24, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Very often, I will hit undo, only to find that all of the changes it
> makes are hidden in a folded subtree.  Combined with the lack of a
> non-buggy true redo, this makes things very confusing.
>
> Is there a way to fix this?
>
> --
> Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly causing further
> suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on this
> fast-spreading serious disease.  Do you care about the world?
> http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: Re: undo and folding
@ 2008-11-28 19:04   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-28 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 13:44, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Where is emacs' redo buggy?

redo.el corrupts the buffer.

emacs doesn't have a command that goes forward in the undo history.

--

@ 2008-11-28 19:20     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-11-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

"Samuel Wales" <samologist@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 13:44, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> Where is emacs' redo buggy?
>
> redo.el corrupts the buffer.
>
> emacs doesn't have a command that goes forward in the undo history.

It doesn't?

C-_ is undo and if you set a mark with C-SPC then C-_ is redo for me.

NOTE: I have no idea what redo.el is of if I use it.

-Bernt

* Re: undo and folding
@ 2008-11-28 19:27       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-11-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:20, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> NOTE: I have no idea what redo.el is of if I use it.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RedoMode

Try undoing far, then farther, then less far, and copying from each
place and pasting into a buffer, using the default emacs undo.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly causing further
suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on this serious

@ 2008-11-28 19:33         ` Samuel Wales