From: Manuel Hermenegildo <herme@fi.upm.es>
To: "Dominik, Carsten" <C.Dominik@uva.nl>
Cc: Org Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Sticky Agenda buffer: Announcement and request for testing
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:30:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Max and Dominik,

the new sticky agenda buffers are great! I have been using the branch
for some time now and they seem to work fine. Fantastic job.

I have to say at first I thought they were not working and it was
because I had a preconception that they would do something else: I
thought that what was sticky was the different views of a *single*
agenda.

For example, say you are in the week view of the agenda. I was
expecting Org to remember the rendering of each week as you move from
one week to another instead of recomputing each view each time (which
if you have large org files is quite slow).

I then realized of course that what was sticky was the different
agenda views (todos, agendas, etc.). And rereading the manual it is
obvious now that this is exactly what it says, so no complaints there
of course.

But, would it be possible to achieve the behavior I had mistakenly
assumed?

Going back to the week view example, Org would remember the rendering
of each week as you move from one week to another, not recomputing a
week that has already been visited. The different weeks would be kept
in different buffers (called, e.g., *Org Agenda (<year/week number>*).
All these buffers would be recomputed only when g is typed. It woudl
work the same with, say, day view.

I at least would find that *very* useful (but I do not know how much
more complicated it is than the current stickiness).

Cheers,

Manuel