* org-mode code fence for markdown
       [not found] <20221125204848.72322cc8.ref@debian>
@ 2022-11-25 19:48 ` Norwid Behrnd
From: Norwid Behrnd @ 2022-11-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

based on previous experience to fence small snippets of code in org-mode e.g.,
for Fortran in a pattern like

```org
* example Fortran (not FORTRAN 77)

  #+begin_src f90 :tangle echo.f90
program test
  implicit none
  write (*, '(A)') "Fortran"
end program test
  #+end_src
```

I seek a similar fence to document a pattern in Markdown.  An example would be
a nested list such as

```markdown
* Item 1
* Item 2
  - Item 2a
    + Item 2a1
  - Item 2b
* Item 3
```

Contrasting to my anticipation, neither `C-c C-, s` followed by a tentative
2 on worg's documentation[1] mentions markdown.

Is there a special key (similar to f90 for contemporary Fortran) /to tangle/
selected, individually fenced snippets of .md stored in one .org file into one
.md file which wasn't yet added to these tables?  Or -- given subtle
differences in the dialects e.g., by Gruber, GitHub, Pandoc -- is there too
little benefit for such an additional bridge, perhaps especially whole .org
documents may be rewritten into any of the three forms of .md by pandoc, and
`C-c C-e` equally may be configured to export a buffer of running Emacs
org-mode to .md?

Norwid

[1] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/index.html

* Re: org-mode code fence for markdown
@ 2022-11-26  6:48   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-26  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norwid Behrnd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Norwid Behrnd <nbehrnd@yahoo.com> writes:

> I seek a similar fence to document a pattern in Markdown.  An example would be
> a nested list such as
>
> ```markdown
> * Item 1
> * Item 2
>   - Item 2a
>     + Item 2a1
>   - Item 2b
> * Item 3
> ```
>
> Contrasting to my anticipation, neither `C-c C-, s` followed by a tentative
> 2 on worg's documentation[1] mentions markdown.

It should, if you have markdown-mode installed.

Try

#+begin_src markdown :tangle yes
,* Item 1
,* Item 2
  - Item 2a
    + Item 2a1
  - Item 2b
,* Item 3
#+end_src

Note that you need to escape the stars as they would be recognized as
Org headings otherwise.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: org-mode code fence for markdown
@ 2022-11-26 17:10     ` Norwid Behrnd
From: Norwid Behrnd @ 2022-11-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> It should, if you have markdown-mode installed.
>
> Try
>
> #+begin_src markdown :tangle yes
> ,* Item 1
> ,* Item 2
>   - Item 2a
>     + Item 2a1
>   - Item 2b
> ,* Item 3
> #+end_src

Affirmative, after installing elpa-markdown-mode (example in Linux Debian's
synaptic), the box opens as anticipated.  The text's markup indications for
e.g., text in bold, italic equally work as does joining snippets via tangle
(C-c C-v t).

> Note that you need to escape the stars as they would be recognized as
> Org headings otherwise.

Similar to org-mode (self)reporting about org-mode, i.e.

```org
  #+begin_src org
,* level one
,** level two
,** level two
  #+end_src
```

the escaping comma equally is added on the fly when closing the box (C-c ') for
a box about markdown, too.  The handy promotion/demotion of headers, or entries
of a list (M-left, M-right) which equally is available in an open box about
orgmode however is absent for an open box about markdown (M-up/M-down is
absent for both); however, this is not perceived as a constraint.

Thank you, the issue is resolved.

Norwid