* Installation on offline machines
@ 2021-10-31 16:24 Edmund Christian Herenz
From: Edmund Christian Herenz @ 2021-10-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I just got a bit confused about the announcement:

 "Also, Org 9.5 is available as tar.gz and zip archives, but this installation method is also deprecated."

From the methods that were available this was the easiest method for
obtaining and distributing the latest versions org-mode on systems
that have no internet accsess.  Can you elaborate why you want to
deprecate this method?

As I also wasn't able to locate neither the zip nor the tar I cloned
the git now like this:

git clone -b 'release_9.5' --single-branch --depth 1  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git

and made a .tar.gz from that.

Is this different then from what I would get if I download the tar
from GNU ELPA?

Please CC me in answers to the message, as I am not (yet) subscribed
to the org mailinglist.

Best regards,
Christian

Edmund Christian Herenz (ESO Fellow)     Office: M152
ESO Vitacura                             Email:  eherenz@eso.org
Alonso de Córdova 3107                   Phone:  +56 2 2463 3047  (Office)
Vitacura, Casilla 19001                          +56 9 4613 7517  (Mobile)
Santiago de Chile, Chile                 WWW:    http://www.sc.eso.org/~eherenz/

* Re: Installation on offline machines
       [not found] <4gMNEd1t3EXKhCMyfn52w5cOKXN6DJQpTepkFVHDypGFl4Qs9EwsfGBxrO-WGLUYIw944IgH6_eLIacA1pIMQFHoJ28STVQ7Pg1sU4bwqx8=@protonmail.ch>
@ 2021-11-01 13:35 ` Edmund Christian Herenz
From: Edmund Christian Herenz @ 2021-11-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: autofrettage; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 07:39:37PM +0000, autofrettage wrote:
> you could try using the Emacs package elpa-mirror.

Thanks - this seems exactly what I need - if the idea of distributing
emacs extensions as tar files is completely abandoned.  I also see
reasons why going this route to deploy extensions is a good idea - and
the elpa-mirror package helps out for the "niche" of users who need to
deploy the extensions on machines that do not have access to the
internet.

Auctex also started recommending the install via elpa, but they still
offer the "traditional method" (at least on *nix).

Best,
Chrsitian

@ 2021-11-01 13:46   ` autofrettage
From: autofrettage @ 2021-11-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edmund Christian Herenz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> /.../ the elpa-mirror package helps out for the "niche" of
> users who need to deploy the extensions on machines that do
> not have access to the internet.

I found out about and used elpa-mirror when I worked in
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). Its connection with the net
was somewhat mysterious to me, and elpa-mirror was the answer.
WSL may have improved since then.

Yours
Rasmus