* how to org-babel-detangle with nested noweb?
@ 2021-10-17  2:17 edgar
From: edgar @ 2021-10-17  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am tangling Python files with =:comments link=. I don't know if a
way already exits, but I would like to detangle (=org-babel-detangle=)
/noweb/ blocks. For instance:

#+name: binary_metrics.py
#+begin_src python
   import numpy as np

   np.random.seed(42)
   true_vals = np.random.randint(0, 2, size=5)
   pred_vals = np.ones(5)
#+end_src

#+name: binary_metrics2.py
#+begin_src python :tangle ../Code/Sandbox/tmp.py :dir
../Code/Sandbox/ :comments noweb :noweb yes :padline yes
   <<binary_metrics.py>>
#+end_src

Then, if I modify tmp.py and do an =org-babel-detangle=, the changes
would go back to =binary_metrics.py=. As it is not working for me at
the moment, I would like to know if
1. I am doing something wrong (it should be working),
2. there is a package which can handle this, or
3. this can be a feature request
The reason for which I would like to have this is to take advantage of
Org to have reproducible and maintainable documents when programming
in Python.

The reason behind this is that I am unaware of any package which
allows =org-edit-special= to integrate with other blocks in the
document in such a way that modules are imported, e.g:

#+name: code1.py
#+begin_src python
   import numpy as np
#+end_src

#+caption: Try to =org-edit-special= and get the documentation for
=np= (with eldoc for instance).
#+begin_src python :noweb yes
   <<code1.py>>
   np
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
   (format "%s\n%s"
    (emacs-version)
    (org-version))
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.27,
cairo version 1.17.4)
:  of 2021-03-26
: 9.4.6

Thank you!

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: how to org-babel-detangle with nested noweb?
@ 2021-10-18 16:31 ` Tom Gillespie
From: Tom Gillespie @ 2021-10-18 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Edgar,
    Degangling of nested noweb blocks tangled using
:comments noweb is broken at the moment. There are
some deep bugs that need to be worked out, and last
time I looked at the code I think my conclusion that it
was better to do a complete rewrite starting from a new
specification of the behavior along with some gnarly test
cases to ensure that everything works as expected.
Best!
Tom

* Re: how to org-babel-detangle with nested noweb?
@ 2021-10-18 16:57   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2021-10-18 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Gillespie; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-10-18 16:31, Tom Gillespie wrote:
> Hi Edgar,
>     Degangling of nested noweb blocks tangled using
> :comments noweb is broken at the moment. There are
> some deep bugs that need to be worked out, and last
> time I looked at the code I think my conclusion that it
> was better to do a complete rewrite starting from a new
> specification of the behavior along with some gnarly test
> cases to ensure that everything works as expected.
> Best!
> Tom

Thanks for the reply :) . If you need guinea pigs, let me know.