On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 09:48:47PM +0800, Timothy wrote: > Hi Jeremy, > > > As an org user I would expect :tangle-mode 0660 to produce a file that > > has user rw, group rw, other nothing. Instead, what really happens > > currently is 0660 is treated as an integer which is actually > > 3140. This produces unexpected file permissions. > > I agree that :tangle-mode could be more user-friendly. However, I think we can > go further. Currently, only (identity #o755 / 493) works, however I think it would be > good if it worked like chmod and accepted most of the following forms: > ⁃ `#o755' > ⁃ `755' (because people are used to this, as technically misleading as it may be, > as long as we can tell “:tangle-mode 356” from “:tangle-mode (identity #o544)”) > ⁃ `rw' (equivalent to a=rw, and so #o555) > ⁃ `a=rw,u+x' (equivalent to #o755) [hardest to support, so maybe?] So you favour going the "full custom special parser". You're much more involved in Org, so I think your gut feeling counts more than mine here :) `755' is the funniest one, since, strictly speaking it doesn't correspond to anything "out there" (note that the shell command `chmod' wants the leading zero, or, well, it will do surprising things if you don't provide it ;-) But then, if it is clear that :tangle-mode is doing its own parsing, it won't matter much. Cheers - t