From: Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Where has the manual on one html page gone?
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 15:48:29 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 09:54:48AM +0100, Christine Köhn wrote:
> Here's why I prefer the one page manual:
>
> I can search it easily. Sometimes I do not find what I'm looking for
> where I would expect it to be. Also, searching is convenient way to find
> out if something *is not* in the manual.
>
> I'm used to reading and searching in a browser.

Searching and saving are both effective use cases.

> I agree that it's not efficient to download a whole manual but I guess
> that's what caching is for? Anyway, I thought about switching to
> accessing the manual offline but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I disagree. With transparent gzip compression its a few hundred K,
less than all the Javascript libraries that load when you open most
popular websites.

You are also less likely to reopen it repeatedly or reload it.

Perhaps the main link can goto a sectioned manual, but I'd like to see
a link to the one page manual preserved.