On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:42:57AM +0200, Gregor Zattler wrote: > Hi David, > * David Masterson [2020-09-13; 17:11]: > > Yes, gpg-agent is installed and appears to have been started in > > background. My O/S is Debian on a Chromebook. > > > > I start Emacs via 'xterm -e emacs' and just noticed (thanks to you) that > > I'm getting a textual popup on the xterm asking for the > > passphrase. Given that, everything works. > > > > So, you're saying that the textual popup is the correct mechanism for > > getting the passphrase? > > That's one possible way. If you want to have a graphical > dialog box, check which pinentry packages are installed: > > $ dpkg -l '*pinentry*' [...] > as you see, at my system, there are two pinentry packages > installed (besides the docs): pinentry-curses for terminal > while pinentry-qt provides a graphical dialog box. I choose > pinentry-qt, because it had fewer dependencies and was > smaller than the other options. > > If your system lacks a graphical pinentry, install one. Pinentry is gpg's way to ask you for your passphrase. AFAIK there's a way for Emacs to do the pinentry thing (in case you don't like some unrelated popup exploding in your face). I don't know what the current status is (there used to be a pinentry.el). So... lots of possibilities. Cheers - t