From: Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Cc: General discussions about Org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Org manual without correct org-version
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 23:31:23 +0800	[thread overview]

Hello,
** Nicolas Goaziou [2018-04-14 16:43:31 +0200]:

> Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Earlier there was "full" "git" version in Manual and I found it convenient
>> (I read the manual from time to time to find how to do something in org)
>> but now when I open Info with Org manual I'm a bit puzzled, it shows
>> version 9.1 while Org from Emacs (I use Emacs from git) shows version
>> 9.1.9 and that confuses me completely, which version is "fresh"?
>
> Barring typos and rewording, Org 9.1.9 is expected to have the same
> manual as 9.1.0, or 9.1.13. An Org 9.1 manual means it is accurate for
> Org 9.1.9. There is nothing puzzling.

I thought that for software versions 9.1 < 9.1.9 and means that 9.1
preceding the 9.1.9. And first thing that comes to my mind about recent
changes is a "template" system, there was '<s' and etc now it is 'C-c
C-,'. The '9.1' version (org from git) has 'Structure Templates' while
'9.1.9' version (org shipped with Emacs) doesn't have that section.

>> I understand that, but on the other hand, when I/someone uses Org from
>> git explicitly it would worth to show the "actual" version in Org Manual
>> (as seen by Info). WDYT?
>
> If you use Org from git, you know the manual is on par with HEAD. As
> a developer, I don't need to know the "git" version in manual. I'm
> curious: what information are you missing?

I prefer search for information in most recent docs than in "out-dated"
(see example with 'Structure Templates' above). So simple check of
version would help to find out what document is 'fresh' enough.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Don't change the reason, just change the excuses!
		-- Joe Cointment