From: Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: OT: Cloud-dependencies, privacy, decentralization
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:19:24 +0100	[thread overview]

* Tom Prince <tom.prince@ualberta.net> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>> And no cloud service is ever going to get my complete set of emails.
>> This is *way* too sensible in my opinion.
>
> What percentange of your contact list is using gmail?

Out of 672 active contacts, there are 39 contacts that use gmail. So
this is less than six percent.

However, I do not tend to think that this is relevant. Even if this
percentage is much higher, I am not going to give away sensible data
to cloud companies located in the US or even in the EU.

With "complete set of emails" I was referring to the contents of
every email. If agencies want to harvest them, they have to invest
work and effort to do so. I am not going to do their work.

To keep that awareness, I do have configured my MUA to highlight the
mail addresses that are hosted at Gmail and such. I configured the
MUA of my parents to send only GnuPG encrypted emails to my email
address. I switched text messages on my phone to TextSecure even if
only a fraction of my contacts are using TextSecure by themselves. I
do not send super-sensitive information via unencrypted email at all
any more.

The situation is pretty fucked up but there is still something
everybody is able to do against it. The fact that agencies are
able to get anything they want if they really want it should not
lead to mind-sets that say that nothing should/can be done at all.

Just because there are professional thieves does not imply that you
stop locking your door and shutting your windows before leaving your
house. This also is true when you're living in a country where
almost nobody is locking their doors when they're at home - just as
it is here, where I live.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github