* Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-07-12 21:34 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-07-12 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I need to export the same org file to both LaTeX and beamer, and I'd
like the headings that are exported to the "block" environment in beamer
to be exported to another environment in LaTeX (named
"consequence"). The LaTeX export engine allows one to specify any
environment but it doesn't suit my needs. Consider the following heading:

**** Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique      :eleves:
#+ATTR_LATEX: :options [Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
#+BEGIN_consequence
La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
\(\Delta\) est:
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\begin{equation*}
- m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
\end{equation*}
#+END_LaTeX

#+END_consequence

If I export it to beamer, I get

\begin{frame}[label=sec-1-1-1]{Puissance des forces de Laplace}
\begin{block}<only@+>{Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique}
\begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
\(\Delta\) est:
\begin{equation*}
- m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
\end{equation*}
\end{consequence}
\end{block}
\end{frame}

but I just want the \begin{block}..., not the \begin{consequence}...

If I export to LaTeX, I get:

\begin{enumerate}
\item Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique
\label{sec-1-1-1-1}
\begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
\(\Delta\) est:
\begin{equation*}
- m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
\end{equation*}
\end{consequence}
\end{enumerate}

but I don't want the \item Puissance..., only the
\begin{consequence}[...

Any ideas how I should go about this ?

Julien.

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-07-28 14:52 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-07-28 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> I need to export the same org file to both LaTeX and beamer, and I'd
> like the headings that are exported to the "block" environment in beamer
> to be exported to another environment in LaTeX (named
> "consequence"). The LaTeX export engine allows one to specify any
> environment but it doesn't suit my needs. Consider the following heading:
>
> **** Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique      :eleves:
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :options [Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
> #+BEGIN_consequence
> La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
> plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
> \(\Delta\) est:
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
> \begin{equation*}
> - m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
> \end{equation*}
> #+END_LaTeX
>
> #+END_consequence
>
> If I export it to beamer, I get
>
> \begin{frame}[label=sec-1-1-1]{Puissance des forces de Laplace}
> \begin{block}<only@+>{Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique}
> \begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
> La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
> plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
> \(\Delta\) est:
> \begin{equation*}
> - m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
> \end{equation*}
> \end{consequence}
> \end{block}
> \end{frame}
>
> but I just want the \begin{block}..., not the \begin{consequence}...

Throwing an idea here: make the `consequence' environment be a no-op in Beamer?

> If I export to LaTeX, I get:
>
> \begin{enumerate}
> \item Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique
> \label{sec-1-1-1-1}
> \begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
> La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
> plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
> \(\Delta\) est:
> \begin{equation*}
> - m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
> \end{equation*}
> \end{consequence}
> \end{enumerate}
>
> but I don't want the \item Puissance..., only the
> \begin{consequence}[...
>
> Any ideas how I should go about this ?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-10  6:59   ` Julien Cubizolles
       [not found]     ` <877g2gvni9.fsf-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-08-10  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Throwing an idea here: make the `consequence' environment be a no-op in Beamer?

How would I do that, is there a variable excluding some environments ?

@ 2014-08-11  9:24     ` Suvayu Ali
       [not found]     ` <877g2gvni9.fsf-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 08:59:10AM +0200, Julien Cubizolles wrote:

> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
> writes:
>

> > Throwing an idea here: make the `consequence' environment be a no-op in Beamer?
>
> How would I do that, is there a variable excluding some environments ?

I'm guessing Seb's idea could be implemented by redefining the
consequence environment when in beamer, leave it alone otherwise.

However, I would like to suggest something a bit different.  Why not
instead of #+BEGIN_consequence, you use a macro.  Something like this:

  #+MACRO: cbeg @@latex:\begin{consequence}@@
  #+MACRO: cend @@latex:\end{consequence}@@

Then you can do:

  {{{cbeg}}}
  stuff
  {{{cend}}}

and only LaTeX export will have the environment.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

@ 2014-08-14  9:15       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-14  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles
  Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ-wOFGN7rlS/M9smdsby/KFg,
	Sebastien Vauban

Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Throwing an idea here: make the `consequence' environment be a no-op
>> in Beamer?
>
> How would I do that, is there a variable excluding some environments?

No variable, no.

You would have to redefine the environment (with LaTeX code) so that it
doesn't do anything.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-14 15:03       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali wrote:
> I'm guessing Seb's idea could be implemented by redefining the
> consequence environment when in beamer, leave it alone otherwise.

Exactly.

> However, I would like to suggest something a bit different.  Why not
> instead of #+BEGIN_consequence, you use a macro.  Something like this:
>
>   #+MACRO: cbeg @@latex:\begin{consequence}@@
>   #+MACRO: cend @@latex:\end{consequence}@@
>
> Then you can do:
>
>   {{{cbeg}}}
>   stuff
>   {{{cend}}}
>
> and only LaTeX export will have the environment.

That could be a good idea, but I'm pretty sure (99.999%) that LaTeX
export snippets are read in Beamer -- though the opposite is false, it's
useless for the problem at hand.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-15  9:46         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-15  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Seb,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 05:03:58PM +0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote:

> > However, I would like to suggest something a bit different.  Why not
> > instead of #+BEGIN_consequence, you use a macro.  Something like this:
> >
> >   #+MACRO: cbeg @@latex:\begin{consequence}@@
> >   #+MACRO: cend @@latex:\end{consequence}@@
> >
> > Then you can do:
> >
> >   {{{cbeg}}}
> >   stuff
> >   {{{cend}}}
> >
> > and only LaTeX export will have the environment.
>
> That could be a good idea, but I'm pretty sure (99.999%) that LaTeX
> export snippets are read in Beamer -- though the opposite is false, it's
> useless for the problem at hand.

If I understood you correctly, you think LaTeX snippets will still be
exported when exporting to beamer, but not the other way around?  If so,
I don't think that is correct.  I'll do a quick test just to be
sure :-p.

Okay you are right!  The above example when exported to either LaTeX or
beamer looks like this:

  \begin{consequence}
  stuff
  \end{consequence}

This is a bit odd to me; is this a consequence of the fact that
ox-beamer derives from ox-latex?  Is it a feature or a bug?

Anyway, given the above your suggestion seems to be the correct solution
for now.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-15 10:05           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-08-15 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> This is a bit odd to me; is this a consequence of the fact that
> ox-beamer derives from ox-latex?

Yes, "ox-beamer.el" knows abouv "ox-latex.el". However, "ox-latex.el"
has no clue about all possible back-ends that could derive from it.

> Is it a feature or a bug?

Feature of derived back-ends, which have more information than the
original back-end.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-15 10:51             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-15 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 12:05:36PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This is a bit odd to me; is this a consequence of the fact that
> > ox-beamer derives from ox-latex?
>
> Yes, "ox-beamer.el" knows abouv "ox-latex.el". However, "ox-latex.el"
> has no clue about all possible back-ends that could derive from it.
>
> > Is it a feature or a bug?
>
> Feature of derived back-ends, which have more information than the
> original back-end.

Thanks for confirming.  Once someone understands the reason, it is
probably not odd any more.  I guess sometimes this is very useful, and
sometimes gets in the way :).

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-15 19:45         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-08-15 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2014-08-14, o godz. 11:15:54
Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> napisał(a):

> Julien Cubizolles wrote:
> > Sebastien Vauban writes:
> >
> >> Throwing an idea here: make the `consequence' environment be a
> >> no-op in Beamer?
> >
> > How would I do that, is there a variable excluding some
> > environments?
>
> No variable, no.
>
> You would have to redefine the environment (with LaTeX code) so that
> it doesn't do anything.

Does this help?

http://www.ctan.org/pkg/comment

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Custom environment for LaTeX export
@ 2014-08-25 16:32           ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-08-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Dnia 2014-08-14, o godz. 11:15:54
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> napisał(a):
>
>> Julien Cubizolles wrote:

>> > How would I do that, is there a variable excluding some
>> > environments?
>>
>> No variable, no.
>>
>> You would have to redefine the environment (with LaTeX code) so that
>> it doesn't do anything.
>
> Does this help?
>
> http://www.ctan.org/pkg/comment

I'm not sure that could be the solution : I don't want to remove what's
inside the "consequence" environment but rather remove the
\begin{consequence} and \end{consequence} surronding it.

@ 2014-08-25 16:43             ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-08-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2014-08-25, o godz. 18:32:48
Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> napisał(a):

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
> > Dnia 2014-08-14, o godz. 11:15:54
> > Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> napisał(a):

> >> No variable, no.
> >>
> >> You would have to redefine the environment (with LaTeX code) so
> >> that it doesn't do anything.
> >
> > Does this help?
> >
> > http://www.ctan.org/pkg/comment
>
> I'm not sure that could be the solution : I don't want to remove
> what's inside the "consequence" environment but rather remove the
> \begin{consequence} and \end{consequence} surronding it.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  How about putting this in the preamble (untested)?

\makeatletter
\@ifclassloaded{beamer}{
  \renewenvironment{consequence}{}{}
}{}
\makeatother

See also http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/73/which-document-class-is-being-used .

> Julien.

Hth,

--

@ 2014-08-25 16:53   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-08-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

writes:

> Julien Cubizolles wrote:
>> I need to export the same org file to both LaTeX and beamer, and I'd
>> like the headings that are exported to the "block" environment in beamer
>> to be exported to another environment in LaTeX (named
>> "consequence"). The LaTeX export engine allows one to specify any
>> environment but it doesn't suit my needs. Consider the following heading:
>>
>> **** Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique      :eleves:
>> #+ATTR_LATEX: :options [Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
>> #+BEGIN_consequence
>> La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
>> plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
>> \(\Delta\) est:
>> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
>> \begin{equation*}
>> - m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
>> \end{equation*}
>> #+END_LaTeX
>>
>> #+END_consequence
>>
>> If I export it to beamer, I get
>>
>> \begin{frame}[label=sec-1-1-1]{Puissance des forces de Laplace}
>> \begin{block}<only@+>{Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique}
>> \begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
>> La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
>> plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
>> \(\Delta\) est:
>> \begin{equation*}
>> - m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
>> \end{equation*}
>> \end{consequence}
>> \end{block}
>> \end{frame}
>>
>> but I just want the \begin{block}..., not the \begin{consequence}...
>
> Throwing an idea here: make the `consequence' environment be a no-op in Beamer?

I think I now see how to do it, thanks.

>> If I export to LaTeX, I get:
>>
>> \begin{enumerate}
>> \item Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique
>> \label{sec-1-1-1-1}
>> \begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
>> La puissance des forces de Laplace subies par un moment magnétique
>> plongé dans un champ magnétique et en rotation autour d'un axe
>> \(\Delta\) est:
>> \begin{equation*}
>> - m_\perp B_\perp \sin(\theta) \dot{\theta}.
>> \end{equation*}
>> \end{consequence}
>> \end{enumerate}
>>
>> but I don't want the \item Puissance..., only the
>> \begin{consequence}[...

This part this to be more difficult and I'm now thinking about another
way around. In LaTeX export, headings with a level greater than
org-export-headline-levels are exported to enumerate items (according to
the doc you can choose to use itemize items, but I couldn't find
how). A solution to my problem would be to allow the user to choose to
wrap the text of these headings, the way the export to beamer does with
block environments.

@ 2014-08-25 17:38               ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2014-08-25 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Sorry, I misunderstood.  How about putting this in the preamble (untested)?
>
> \makeatletter
> \@ifclassloaded{beamer}{
>   \renewenvironment{consequence}{}{}
> }{}
> \makeatother

Actually, I'm using a custom beamer class, so

\newenvironment{consequence}[1]{}{}

is enough for me. There is still a problem:

\begin{block}{Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique}
\begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]

in the exported LaTeX file produces

Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique
Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]

in the pdf. I think the optional argument to consequence inside the
block environment isn't correctly interpreted.

@ 2014-08-25 20:11                 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-08-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2014-08-25, o godz. 19:38:26
Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> napisał(a):

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>

> > Sorry, I misunderstood.  How about putting this in the preamble
> > (untested)?
> >
> > \makeatletter
> > \@ifclassloaded{beamer}{
> >   \renewenvironment{consequence}{}{}
> > }{}
> > \makeatother
>
> Actually, I'm using a custom beamer class, so

> \newenvironment{consequence}[1]{}{}
>
> is enough for me. There is still a problem:

> \begin{block}{Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique}
> \begin{consequence}[Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment
> magnétique] --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> in the exported LaTeX file produces

> Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique
> Puissance des force de Laplace sur un moment magnétique]
>
> in the pdf. I think the optional argument to consequence inside the
> block environment isn't correctly interpreted.

What about
\newenvironment{consequence}[1][]{}{}
?

> Julien.