* org-8 manual on Amazon!
@ 2014-08-08  1:38 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-08-08  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I saw on twitter today the org mode 8 manual is available on Amazon
today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/9881327709/. It looks like it covers Org 8.2.

--
-----------------------------------
John Kitchin

* Re: org-8 manual on Amazon!
@ 2014-08-08  8:29 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-08-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> I saw on twitter today the org mode 8 manual is available on Amazon
> today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/9881327709/. It looks like it covers Org 8.2.

I'm surprised by the change of publisher¹ and fact that there is no
reference to this edition on orgmode.org. . .

—Rasmus

Footnotes:
¹   Though Network Theory Ltd isn't printing new manuals cf. http://www.network-theory.co.uk/about.html.

--
Send from my Emacs

* Re: org-8 manual on Amazon!
@ 2014-08-08 17:51   ` Carlos Sosa
From: Carlos Sosa @ 2014-08-08 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> I saw on twitter today the org mode 8 manual is available on Amazon
>> today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/9881327709/. It looks like it covers Org 8.2.
>
> I'm surprised by the change of publisher¹ and fact that there is no
> reference to this edition on orgmode.org. . .
>
> —Rasmus
>

> Footnotes:
> ¹   Though Network Theory Ltd isn't printing new manuals cf. http://www.network-theory.co.uk/about.html.

So if it's not referenced by orgmode.org, it means it was community
made?

- Carlos

* Re: org-8 manual on Amazon!
@ 2014-08-08 18:14     ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2014-08-08 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Carlos Sosa', emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

This is almost certainly a literally a printed version of the already available open source org manual.
Nothing to see here, move along.

>> I saw on twitter today the org mode 8 manual is available on Amazon
>> today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/9881327709/. It looks like it covers Org 8.2.
>
> I'm surprised by the change of publisher¹ and fact that there is no
> reference to this edition on orgmode.org. . .
>
> —Rasmus
>

> Footnotes:
> ¹   Though Network Theory Ltd isn't printing new manuals cf. http://www.network-theory.co.uk/about.html.

So if it's not referenced by orgmode.org, it means it was community made?

- Carlos

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: org-8 manual on Amazon!
@ 2014-08-11 21:54     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-08-11 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 10:51:49AM -0700, Carlos Sosa wrote:
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
> > John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
> >
> >> I saw on twitter today the org mode 8 manual is available on Amazon
> >> today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/9881327709/. It looks like it covers Org 8.2.
> >
> > I'm surprised by the change of publisher¹ and fact that there is no
> > reference to this edition on orgmode.org. . .
> >
> > —Rasmus
> >

> > Footnotes:
> > ¹   Though Network Theory Ltd isn't printing new manuals cf. http://www.network-theory.co.uk/about.html.
>
> So if it's not referenced by orgmode.org, it means it was community
> made?

Looks like a new publisher publishing an updated version of the manual.
I'm wondering if it complies with the GFDL.  When the number of manuals
produced is geater than 100, the publisher is required to distribute the
source too[1].  I do not see any media included with the manual, although
maybe it is possible to point to a web url in the book.

Footnotes:

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License

--
Suvayu