* How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-04 17:46 Robert Inder
From: Robert Inder @ 2014-07-04 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm starting to use Org mode's time logging stuff.

I'd like to be able to review everything I have worked on today.

Not the total hours, but each individual burst of work.

So an ordered list of the CLOCK entries would be fine.

I'm sure this should be possible, but I can't see how to do it...

Is there a way?

Robert.

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH

* Re: How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-04 19:01 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2014-07-04 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 06:46:58PM +0100, Robert Inder wrote:
> I'm starting to use Org mode's time logging stuff.
>
> I'd like to be able to review everything I have worked on today.
>
> Not the total hours, but each individual burst of work.
>
> So an ordered list of the CLOCK entries would be fine.
>
> I'm sure this should be possible, but I can't see how to do it...
>
> Is there a way?
>
> Robert.

Robert,

Agenda view with log mode ('l' key in agenda).

I also suggest you use inactive timestamps, then they can be added to
the log using '[' while in the agenda view.

This is very similar to my workstyle. With all of my professional
projects I keep a project journal. My todos and notes are in the
outline, and each time I change tasks, leave and return to the
keyboard, or feel it needed I press F9 which I have configured to
insert an inactive timestamp. Thus my notes files are riddled with
timestamps, but they don't get in the way as I tend to put them
between paragraphs.

Inevitably when someone asks how my hours were used, I can pull up my
agenda with logging and inactive timestamps and export to html. This
makes it easy to provide documentation to justify my time. It also
lets me track what was going on if and when a problem occurred.

Only with Org!

One note on using inactive timestamps vs active. The active timestamps
always show up in the agenda, and are used as appointment
reminders. The inactive ones you have to choose to include which is
why I use them.

My F9 macro:

 ;; Insert immediate timestamp
 (define-key global-map (kbd "<f9>")
   '(lambda () (interactive)
      (when (eq major-mode 'org-mode)
        (org-insert-time-stamp nil t t)
        (insert "\n"))))

Enjoy!

* Re: How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-04 20:59 ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2014-07-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Inder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Robert,

If you go to the *Org Agenda* buffer and type "v" and then "c" (without the
quotes), does that give you what you want?

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25

Phone: +34-91-497-2412

Email: rdiaz02@gmail.com
       ramon.diaz@iib.uam.es

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz

* Re: How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-05  9:46   ` Robert Inder
From: Robert Inder @ 2014-07-05  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4 July 2014 21:59, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Robert,
>
> If you go to the *Org Agenda* buffer and type "v" and then "c" (without the
> quotes), does that give you what you want?

Ah ha!!!!  Success!!!

I "always" use the agenda mode to review my TODO items.  So when
I went to the *Org Agenda* buffer, "v" gave me a prompt ("View:") and
a number of choices (including "c" for "clockcheck"), but every option
I chose gave me a message "Not allowed in todo-type agenda buffers".

I poked about a bit, and realised/remembered that "C-c a a" gave
an agenda that wasn't "todo-type", and yes, it does what I wanted.

It seemed such an obvious thing to want to do, I was
SURE there had to be an easy way to do it....

Many thanks.

--

@ 2014-07-05 15:00   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-05 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte; +Cc: Robert Inder, emacs-orgmode

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Robert,
>
> If you go to the *Org Agenda* buffer and type "v" and then "c" (without the
> quotes), does that give you what you want?
>
> Best,
>
> R.

I tried this, just to see what happened, and not a lot, but then I'm
not doing any logging. But how do I get my original display back,
because I'm now stuck in this mode! Help please!

Sharon.

> On Fri, 04-07-2014, at 19:46, Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm starting to use Org mode's time logging stuff.
>>
>> I'd like to be able to review everything I have worked on today.
>>
>> Not the total hours, but each individual burst of work.
>>
>> So an ordered list of the CLOCK entries would be fine.
>>
>> I'm sure this should be possible, but I can't see how to do it...
>>
>> Is there a way?
>>
>> Robert.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-05 15:31     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-07-05 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte, emacs-orgmode, Robert Inder

On 2014-07-05 17:00 Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear Robert,
>>
>> If you go to the *Org Agenda* buffer and type "v" and then "c" (without the
>> quotes), does that give you what you want?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> R.
>
> I tried this, just to see what happened, and not a lot, but then I'm
> not doing any logging. But how do I get my original display back,
> because I'm now stuck in this mode! Help please!
>
> Sharon.

My guess would be one of r,g,q,x?

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-05 15:59     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-05 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear Robert,
>>
>> If you go to the *Org Agenda* buffer and type "v" and then "c" (without the
>> quotes), does that give you what you want?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> R.
>
> I tried this, just to see what happened, and not a lot, but then I'm
> not doing any logging. But how do I get my original display back,
> because I'm now stuck in this mode! Help please!

l (lower-case ell) or M-x org-agenda-log-mode RET perhaps?

--
Nick

* Re: How do I review a day
@ 2014-07-05 17:08       ` Sharon Kimble