Hi Nick, On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 06:14:34PM -0400, Nick Dokos wrote: > Suvayu Ali writes: > > > On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 04:13:45PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote: > >> I have these two symbols showing in my org-mode buffer with no > >> problems > >> ╭──── > >> │ alpha (ER-α) and beta (ER-β) > >> ╰──── > >> > >> but they are not exported to latex/pdf. How then can I do so please? > > > > The easiest solution is to use a modern TeX engine like XeTeX or LuaTeX > > along with a font with the required glyphs. > > The *easiest* solution is to just say \alpha and \beta in the org file > instead of α and β. But biting the bullet and adopting XeTeX or LuaTeX is > probably the *best* way to go (he says without ever having used either...) Well put! I really recommend using XeTeX for most things. There are some caveats though. Clipping is a bit iffy, sometimes it warns as not supported but works anyway :-p. Sometimes it has trouble including slightly non-standard pdf images whereas pdfTeX works fine. There are also a few packages here and there that are still not completely supported. IIRC, either one of the TikZ math libraries or a 3rd-party TikZ library (maybe tikz-3dplot) is incompatible. That said, I attached a sample pdf with lots of unicode produced with XeLaTeX and Linux Libertine. As you can see, some glyphs are missing from Linux Libertine, but otherwise it looks pretty good! > > I personally use XeTeX with > > Linux libertine fonts. You can find my setup here: > > > > > > > > That is a nice resource - thanks! Glad you like it. :) -- Suvayu Open source is the future. It sets us free.