* \200\231 showing in org-mode post
@ 2014-01-22 11:12 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-22 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When pasting from an article on the web into an org-mode buffer, I
start with -
"In today’s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords to
secure our data and our identity."
and its displayed in the buffer as -
"In todayâ\200\231s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords
to secure our data and our identity."

I'm using 'simpleclip' which allows me to use 'super-c
simpleclip-copy' as the keybinding.

In my .emacs I have -
(setq selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
with 'LANG=en_GB.UTF-8' being the first line in my locale settings.

How do I get it please that it pastes correctly from the desktop
clipboard, and how do I get what is already pasted, and shows the
aberrant behaviour, corrected please?

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.50.1
Registered Linux user 561944

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: \200\231 showing in org-mode post
@ 2014-01-22 13:28 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-22 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> When pasting from an article on the web into an org-mode buffer, I
> start with -
> "In today’s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords to
> secure our data and our identity."
> and its displayed in the buffer as -
> "In todayâ\200\231s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords
> to secure our data and our identity."

Is your org-mode buffer in UTF-8 (does it show a U at the left end of
the modeline)? I would expect this behavior only when the org-mode
buffer is in some 7- or 8-bit mode (ASCII or iso-8859-1).

The apostrophe above is a "typographic apostrophe" (Unicode U+2019).
If I copy the "today’s" part from above into a file foo.txt and I open
the file in emacs using UTF-8 as the coding system, it shows as an
apostrophe. If I open it using iso-8859-1, it shows as "todayâ\200\231s".

If I look at the file with a binary editor (od -c on Linux) I get:

,----
| $ od -c apostrophe-utf8.txt
| 0000000   t   o   d   a   y 342 200 231   s  \n
| 0000012
`----

So it's probably just encoding confusion between the different programs that you
use.

> I'm using 'simpleclip' which allows me to use 'super-c
> simpleclip-copy' as the keybinding.
>
> In my .emacs I have -
> (setq selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
> with 'LANG=en_GB.UTF-8' being the first line in my locale settings.
>
> How do I get it please that it pastes correctly from the desktop
> clipboard, and how do I get what is already pasted, and shows the
> aberrant behaviour, corrected please?

If you just open the file in UTF-8, does the ugliness go away?

--
Nick

* Re: \200\231 showing in org-mode post
@ 2014-01-22 16:22   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-22 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:28:46 -0500
Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > When pasting from an article on the web into an org-mode buffer, I
> > start with -
> > "In today’s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords to
> > secure our data and our identity."
> > and its displayed in the buffer as -
> > "In todayâ\200\231s digital age, we are needing more and more
> > passwords to secure our data and our identity."
> >

> Is your org-mode buffer in UTF-8 (does it show a U at the left end of
> the modeline)? I would expect this behavior only when the org-mode
> buffer is in some 7- or 8-bit mode (ASCII or iso-8859-1).

Yes.

> The apostrophe above is a "typographic apostrophe" (Unicode U+2019).
> If I copy the "today’s" part from above into a file foo.txt and I open
> the file in emacs using UTF-8 as the coding system, it shows as an
> apostrophe. If I open it using iso-8859-1, it shows as
> "todayâ\200\231s".
>
> If I look at the file with a binary editor (od -c on Linux) I get:
>
> ,----
> | $ od -c apostrophe-utf8.txt
> | 0000000   t   o   d   a   y 342 200 231   s  \n
> | 0000012
> `----
>
> So it's probably just encoding confusion between the different
> programs that you use.
>
> > I'm using 'simpleclip' which allows me to use 'super-c
> > simpleclip-copy' as the keybinding.
> >
> > In my .emacs I have -
> > (setq selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
> > (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> > (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
> > with 'LANG=en_GB.UTF-8' being the first line in my locale settings.
> >
> > How do I get it please that it pastes correctly from the desktop
> > clipboard, and how do I get what is already pasted, and shows the
> > aberrant behaviour, corrected please?
> >

> If you just open the file in UTF-8, does the ugliness go away?

I don't know how to do that, sorry.

But, when I went through my foo.org file correcting them all, they all
seemed to be either ' or " . So I had a look in my .emacs and found
that I was using -
;; Turn ' and " into ‘posh’ “quotes”
;;(setq org-export-with-smart-quotes t)

so I commented it out as you can see, and I'm now just carrying on as
normal and just waiting to see if that clears it up.

@ 2014-01-22 17:42     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:28:46 -0500
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you just open the file in UTF-8, does the ugliness go away?
>>
> I don't know how to do that, sorry.

C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f foo.txt RET

Nick

* Re: \200\231 showing in org-mode post
@ 2014-01-22 18:12     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-22 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:28:46 -0500
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>>
>> > When pasting from an article on the web into an org-mode buffer, I
>> > start with -
>> > "In today’s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords to
>> > secure our data and our identity."
>> > and its displayed in the buffer as -
>> > "In todayâ\200\231s digital age, we are needing more and more
>> > passwords to secure our data and our identity."
>> >
>> > In my .emacs I have -
>> > (setq selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> > (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> > (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
>> > with 'LANG=en_GB.UTF-8' being the first line in my locale settings.
>> >
>> > How do I get it please that it pastes correctly from the desktop
>> > clipboard, and how do I get what is already pasted, and shows the
>> > aberrant behaviour, corrected please?
>> >

>> If you just open the file in UTF-8, does the ugliness go away?
>>
> I don't know how to do that, sorry.
>
> But, when I went through my foo.org file correcting them all, they all
> seemed to be either ' or " . So I had a look in my .emacs and found
> that I was using -
> ;; Turn ' and " into ‘posh’ “quotes”
> ;;(setq org-export-with-smart-quotes t)
>
> so I commented it out as you can see, and I'm now just carrying on as
> normal and just waiting to see if that clears it up.

Now I'm *really* confused: org-export-with-smart-quotes only affects how
an org file is exported. What does that have to do with pasting stuff
from the web into an org file?

Nick

* Re: \200\231 showing in org-mode post
@ 2014-01-22 18:28       ` Sharon Kimble