* Integration of Groupware calendar solutions like CalendarTree
@ 2014-05-21  7:31 Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-05-21  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I just stumbled over CalendarTree[1] which is a service that
promotes calendar events to multiple kind of calendar tools and
services such as Outlook, Google Calendar and so on.

I wondered how easy somebody could implement support for Org-mode?
And I wondered if this is a possible way to add a groupware-layer to
Org-mode?

Org-mode is very great for me. But it's an island when it comes to
sharing events and so forth. :-(

  1. https://www.calendartree.com/HowItWorks
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Integration of Groupware calendar solutions like CalendarTree
@ 2014-05-21 11:51 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-21 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: Karl Voit, emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl,

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> I wondered how easy somebody could implement support for Org-mode?

Maybe you can ping the calendartree.com for this?

They get paid for their work and would certainly love to get a larger
customer base by adding such a cool feature.  And they have a better
knowledge of how their system works, I didn't register a "free account"
just for checking further.  Nothing to lose by asking them I guess.

 Bastien

* Re: Integration of Groupware calendar solutions like CalendarTree
@ 2014-05-21 14:11   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-05-21 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Karl,

Hi Bastien!

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> I wondered how easy somebody could implement support for Org-mode?
>
> Maybe you can ping the calendartree.com for this?
>
> They get paid for their work and would certainly love to get a larger
> customer base by adding such a cool feature.  And they have a better
> knowledge of how their system works.

Yes, I agree.

However, I am afraid, that this is a one-man-show only (the guy
drawing Dilbert!) and he most probably wants to concentrate on
interfaces with a high effort-to-users-ratio. And this is where
Org-mode is almost non-existent: a moderate to high effort to
integrate smoothly with a *very* limited number of users/customers.
:-(

My question was not only targeted to CalendarTree in particular.
More of a general question to get the opinion of others, how they
see the need/possibilities for Groupware-features enabled by
non-Emacs-based services. Probably, it's just me who wants to
send/receive appointments to peers that aren't using Emacs.

I used CalendarTree only as an example because it is a service which
tries to combine/connect different worlds together which is an
unusual goal these days (most people want to lock you in their
service instead of connecting you).

If the Org-mode community wants to connect to such services, the
org-mode community has to initiate it and implement it on its own -
I am afraid. Just because - compared to the rest of the IT-world -
nobody uses Org-mode.

--

@ 2014-05-21 18:30 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-05-21 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Karl.

What about org-caldav [1]?  Not quite what you want but if you sync with
a calendar that can be shared, it does in effect achieve your goal.  I
do this with google's calendar which I can indeed share with others.

Mind you, syncing with google calendar is deprecated due to
authentication issues, but that's another story.

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.2, Org release_8.2.6-966-g6cdf1b

* Re: Integration of Groupware calendar solutions like CalendarTree
@ 2014-05-23 11:03   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2014-05-23 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Karl.

Hi Eric!

> What about org-caldav [1]?  Not quite what you want but if you sync with
> a calendar that can be shared, it does in effect achieve your goal.  I
> do this with google's calendar which I can indeed share with others.
>
> Mind you, syncing with google calendar is deprecated due to
> authentication issues, but that's another story.

Yes, this is a different kind of approach to do the same thing.

I will have to look into org-caldav in the future since my original
Google Calendar workflow does not work any more.

Thanks for the pointer!