On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 16:16:20 +0000 (UTC) Thierry Banel wrote: > Sharon Kimble talktalk.net> writes: > > > > > Can somebody help me please, I want to put this line into my .emacs > > - 'cp ~/.emacs ~/.emacs.d/.emacs-$(date +%Y%m%d-%R)' but it works > > as part of a bash script, but I don’t know elisp to get it working > > in my .emacs. What it does is save a dated and timed copy of > > your .emacs in your ~/.emacs.d so that when you're trying things > > out and learning how to use .emacs you'll always have a backup > > copy. A case in point, last night I had org2blog working, today, > > after fiddling its stopped working, but if I'd had this operational > > I could just revert to a known and working .emacs. So, can you help > > please? > > > > Thanks > > Sharon. > > Hi Sharon > > Emacs already have a builtin file version control. > If you use Emacs itself to edit your .emacs, > it will most likely create a .emacs~, which is a backup. > This is controlled by the variable make-backup-files. > Add this line to your .emacs: > (setq make-backup-files t) > > You may want to have several backup files. > They will be numbered with names like .emacs.~7~ > Then add this line to your .emacs: > (setq version-control t) > > Of course this works for all files visited by Emacs, not only .emacs. > > Look at the documentation: > within Emacs, type C-h i > then navigate to > Emacs > Files > Saving > Backup > Thanks for this. I called up the package menu and found 'backup-each-save' so I've installed that to try out. Hopefully it will work okay, but time will tell :) Sharon. -- A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk efever = http://www.efever.blogspot.com/ efever = http://sharon04.livejournal.com/ my git repo = https://bitbucket.org/boudiccas/dots Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2 Registered Linux user 561944