* managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-19  1:40 Christopher W. Ryan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher W. Ryan @ 2013-11-19  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Not sure "citational" is even a word, but hopefully it conveys my meaning!

I've been using LaTeX for academic writing and reading for quite some
time, with emacs as my editor. I'm pretty familiar with managing a .bib
file containing all the references I've collected, and using it in LaTeX
\cite commands.

I've come to org-mode more recently. I'm trying to imagine how I might
use it to manage my "personal library." I have a directory full of pdf
files, each a downloaded article. Some articles I reference in papers I
write; others I just read and want to keep.  I also have a .bib file
where I put the citational material for all those articles. Whenever I
download an article, I add its entry to my .bib file. I tend to manage
this with JabRef because it searches Medline so easily, but I also will
edit the .bib file directly when necessary.

I like the idea of an org file containing the citational information
(authors, title, journal, etc)  *plus* links to the pdfs on my hard
drive, or on the internet. I could also include my notes about the
articles. But what would that org file look like? How do I insert a
reference to an article into the org file which contains the article I
am writing?

I'd be grateful for any explanations, or links to tutorials.

Thanks.

--Chris Ryan
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Binghamton, NY

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-19  8:28 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2013-11-19  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19/11/13 01:40, Christopher W. Ryan wrote:
> Not sure "citational" is even a word, but hopefully it conveys my meaning!
>
> I've been using LaTeX for academic writing and reading for quite some
> time, with emacs as my editor. I'm pretty familiar with managing a .bib
> file containing all the references I've collected, and using it in LaTeX
> \cite commands.
>
> I've come to org-mode more recently. I'm trying to imagine how I might
> use it to manage my "personal library." I have a directory full of pdf
> files, each a downloaded article. Some articles I reference in papers I
> write; others I just read and want to keep.  I also have a .bib file
> where I put the citational material for all those articles. Whenever I
> download an article, I add its entry to my .bib file. I tend to manage
> this with JabRef because it searches Medline so easily, but I also will
> edit the .bib file directly when necessary.
>
> I like the idea of an org file containing the citational information
> (authors, title, journal, etc)  *plus* links to the pdfs on my hard
> drive, or on the internet. I could also include my notes about the
> articles. But what would that org file look like? How do I insert a
> reference to an article into the org file which contains the article I
> am writing?
>
> I'd be grateful for any explanations, or links to tutorials.

Can't help with managing the citations in org, as the last time I had to
do this I was using a card index file:)

However, to address your other questions one way of doing this would be
to create an org file with a heading for each article:

* Article 1.
Here are some notes.

* Article 2
My notes

You can create hyperlinks to each article from org. See
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Hyperlinks for more detailed information.

However, you should perhaps decide first how you might structure your
org file. You might want to group articles under an author heading, or
perhaps more likely by subject area, with a sub heading for each article
under the main heading.

You may also want to tag each article. See
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Tags Org lets you quickly narrow your view
of an org file so that you are only seeing headings with specific tags.

Ian.

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-19 10:41 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-11-19 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher!

* Christopher W. Ryan <cryan@binghamton.edu> wrote:

> I've come to org-mode more recently. I'm trying to imagine how I might
> use it to manage my "personal library."

I have summarized how I manage my papers and references with
Org-mode here:
https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode

In case you don't use Android/RepliGo skip to "Bonus: .emacs setup"
where I describe my references.org.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-19 16:25   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-19 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> writes:

> On 19/11/13 01:40, Christopher W. Ryan wrote:
>> Not sure "citational" is even a word, but hopefully it conveys my meaning!
>>
>> I've been using LaTeX for academic writing and reading for quite some
>> time, with emacs as my editor. I'm pretty familiar with managing a .bib
>> file containing all the references I've collected, and using it in LaTeX
>> \cite commands.
>>
>> I've come to org-mode more recently. I'm trying to imagine how I might
>> use it to manage my "personal library." I have a directory full of pdf
>> files, each a downloaded article. Some articles I reference in papers I
>> write; others I just read and want to keep.  I also have a .bib file
>> where I put the citational material for all those articles. Whenever I
>> download an article, I add its entry to my .bib file. I tend to manage
>> this with JabRef because it searches Medline so easily, but I also will
>> edit the .bib file directly when necessary.
>>
>> I like the idea of an org file containing the citational information
>> (authors, title, journal, etc)  *plus* links to the pdfs on my hard
>> drive, or on the internet. I could also include my notes about the
>> articles. But what would that org file look like? How do I insert a
>> reference to an article into the org file which contains the article I
>> am writing?
>>
>> I'd be grateful for any explanations, or links to tutorials.
>>

> Can't help with managing the citations in org, as the last time I had
> to do this I was using a card index file:)
>
> However, to address your other questions one way of doing this would
> be to create an org file with a heading for each article:
>
> * Article 1.
> Here are some notes.
>
> * Article 2
> My notes

I've been using such an org file for most of grad school and I couldn't
be happier with the results.  I have a single reading.org file with one
top-level entry for each article I read.  Currently at 533 articles
(many still tagged TODO) and 16,558 lines.

To create each headline, I first copy the bibtex information onto my
clipboard, then I call `org-bibtex-yank' which converts the bibtex
information into a headline with properties. E.g.,

    * Software mutational robustness
      :PROPERTIES:
      :TITLE:    Software mutational robustness
      :BTYPE:    article
      :CUSTOM_ID: schulte2013software
      :YEAR:     2013
      :ISSN:     1389-2576
      :JOURNAL:  Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
      :DOI:      10.1007/s10710-013-9195-8
      :PUBLISHER: Springer US
      :KEYWORDS: Mutational robustness; Genetic programming; Mutation testing; Proactive diversity; N-version programming; Neutral landscapes
      :AUTHOR:   Schulte, Eric and Fry, ZacharyP. and Fast, Ethan and Weimer, Westley and Forrest, Stephanie
      :PAGES:    1-32
      :LANGUAGE: English
      :END:
    file:papers/10.1007_s10710-013-9195-8.pdf

    The arXiv preprint is up at http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.4224.

    More notes...

> You can create hyperlinks to each article from org. See
> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Hyperlinks for more detailed information.

This is handy, I start every entry with a hyperlink to the pdf file.

> However, you should perhaps decide first how you might structure your
> org file. You might want to group articles under an author heading, or
> perhaps more likely by subject area, with a sub heading for each
> article under the main heading.

Personally I'm a fan of the flat file organization.  Whenever I want to
find a particular paper I just search for the first string that comes to
mind.

> You may also want to tag each article. See
> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Tags Org lets you quickly narrow your view
> of an org file so that you are only seeing headings with specific
> tags.

This is a good idea.  I've not used tags much previously but it looks
like Org-mode has wonderful tag search functionality.  I wonder if
there's an easy way to automatically include the content of the
:KEYWORDS: property in tag searches.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-20  2:48     ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-11-20  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20/11/13 03:25, Eric Schulte wrote:
> [...]
> information into a headline with properties. E.g.,
>
>      * Software mutational robustness
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :TITLE:    Software mutational robustness
>        :BTYPE:    article
>        :CUSTOM_ID: schulte2013software
>        :YEAR:     2013
>        :ISSN:     1389-2576
>        :JOURNAL:  Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
>        :DOI:      10.1007/s10710-013-9195-8
>        :PUBLISHER: Springer US
>        :KEYWORDS: Mutational robustness; Genetic programming; Mutation testing; Proactive diversity; N-version programming; Neutral landscapes
>        :AUTHOR:   Schulte, Eric and Fry, ZacharyP. and Fast, Ethan and Weimer, Westley and Forrest, Stephanie
>        :PAGES:    1-32
>        :LANGUAGE: English
>        :END:
>      file:papers/10.1007_s10710-013-9195-8.pdf

Is there some easy way to import entire bibtex files in this way?

I find citations to be frustrating. Is there some way that bibtex (or
org files such as the above) can be used to enter citations in an org
file so that they are exported correctly by the different exporters?

Or is there someplace where all this information is gathered and I just
am too blind to see it?

Thanks for any help.
Alan

<SNIP>

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-20  3:37       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-20  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> On 20/11/13 03:25, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> writes:

>>> Can't help with managing the citations in org, as the last time I had
>>> to do this I was using a card index file:)
>>>
>>> However, to address your other questions one way of doing this would
>>> be to create an org file with a heading for each article:
>>>
>>> * Article 1.
>>> Here are some notes.
>>>
>>> * Article 2
>>> My notes
>>>
>> I've been using such an org file for most of grad school and I couldn't
>> be happier with the results.  I have a single reading.org file with one
>> top-level entry for each article I read.  Currently at 533 articles
>> (many still tagged TODO) and 16,558 lines.
>>
>> To create each headline, I first copy the bibtex information onto my
>> clipboard, then I call `org-bibtex-yank' which converts the bibtex
>> information into a headline with properties. E.g.,
>>
>>      * Software mutational robustness
>>        :PROPERTIES:
>>        :TITLE:    Software mutational robustness
>>        :BTYPE:    article
>>        :CUSTOM_ID: schulte2013software
>>        :YEAR:     2013
>>        :ISSN:     1389-2576
>>        :JOURNAL:  Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
>>        :DOI:      10.1007/s10710-013-9195-8
>>        :PUBLISHER: Springer US
>>        :KEYWORDS: Mutational robustness; Genetic programming; Mutation testing; Proactive diversity; N-version programming; Neutral landscapes
>>        :AUTHOR:   Schulte, Eric and Fry, ZacharyP. and Fast, Ethan and Weimer, Westley and Forrest, Stephanie
>>        :PAGES:    1-32
>>        :LANGUAGE: English
>>        :END:
>>      file:papers/10.1007_s10710-013-9195-8.pdf
>>
>>      The arXiv preprint is up at http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.4224.
>>
>>      More notes...
>>

> Is there some easy way to import entire bibtex files in this way?

org-bibtex-import-from-file

> I find citations to be frustrating. Is there some way that bibtex (or
> org files such as the above) can be used to enter citations in an org
> file so that they are exported correctly by the different exporters?
>
> Or is there someplace where all this information is gathered and I
> just am too blind to see it?

I don't know, I personally use org-bibtex-export-to-kill-ring to convert
citations to bibtex individually and manually.

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-20  6:16         ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-11-20  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 20/11/13 14:37, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I've been using such an org file for most of grad school and I couldn't
>>> be happier with the results.  I have a single reading.org file with one
>>> top-level entry for each article I read.  Currently at 533 articles
>>> (many still tagged TODO) and 16,558 lines.
>>>
>>> To create each headline, I first copy the bibtex information onto my
>>> clipboard, then I call `org-bibtex-yank' which converts the bibtex
>>> information into a headline with properties. E.g.,
>>>
>>>       * Software mutational robustness
>>>         :PROPERTIES:
>>>         :TITLE:    Software mutational robustness
>>>         :BTYPE:    article
>>>         :CUSTOM_ID: schulte2013software
>>>         :YEAR:     2013
>>>         :ISSN:     1389-2576
>>>         :JOURNAL:  Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines
>>>         :DOI:      10.1007/s10710-013-9195-8
>>>         :PUBLISHER: Springer US
>>>         :KEYWORDS: Mutational robustness; Genetic programming; Mutation testing; Proactive diversity; N-version programming; Neutral landscapes
>>>         :AUTHOR:   Schulte, Eric and Fry, ZacharyP. and Fast, Ethan and Weimer, Westley and Forrest, Stephanie
>>>         :PAGES:    1-32
>>>         :LANGUAGE: English
>>>         :END:
>>>       file:papers/10.1007_s10710-013-9195-8.pdf
>>>
>>>       The arXiv preprint is up at http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.4224.
>>>
>>>       More notes...
>>>
>> Is there some easy way to import entire bibtex files in this way?
>>
> org-bibtex-import-from-file
>
>> I find citations to be frustrating. Is there some way that bibtex (or
>> org files such as the above) can be used to enter citations in an org
>> file so that they are exported correctly by the different exporters?
>>
>> Or is there someplace where all this information is gathered and I
>> just am too blind to see it?
>>
> I don't know, I personally use org-bibtex-export-to-kill-ring to convert
> citations to bibtex individually and manually.
I think I have a terminology problem. What I mean is to enter something
like \cite{mann82} in the text and have it spit out (Mann 1982) in each
and every export as well as constructing an entry for the bibliography.

Of course, the actual form of the output should be configurable to some
extent, but I'd be happy with one form that always comes out the same.

Is that possible? I'm currently fudging the issue by entering a Markdown
style entry in the text, for example [@mann82:_legal_aspec_money],
exporting to Markdown and then using Pandoc to get the final result.

Not elegant.

Cheers,
Alan

@ 2013-11-20  6:27           ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-20  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> What I mean is to enter something like \cite{mann82} in the text and
> have it spit out (Mann 1982) in each and every export as well as
> constructing an entry for the bibliography.

(For benefit of others)

ox-jabref.el and JabRef can spit things out in different formats.  I

I have added support for the odt backend.  But I have fleshed out the
basic details so that it could be re-targeted for HTML or Plain Ascii
export.

----------------

Often the problem is that the author is stuck with a given DB and tool
and is unwilling to let go of investments that he has made in that
specific tool.  (This is perfectly understandable.)

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-20 16:52     ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2013-11-20 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> writes:
>
>> On 19/11/13 01:40, Christopher W. Ryan wrote:
>>> Not sure "citational" is even a word, but hopefully it conveys my meaning!
>>>
>>> I've been using LaTeX for academic writing and reading for quite some
>>> time, with emacs as my editor. I'm pretty familiar with managing a .bib
>>> file containing all the references I've collected, and using it in LaTeX
>>> \cite commands.
>>>
>>> I've come to org-mode more recently. I'm trying to imagine how I might
>>> use it to manage my "personal library." I have a directory full of pdf
>>> files, each a downloaded article. Some articles I reference in papers I
>>> write; others I just read and want to keep.  I also have a .bib file
>>> where I put the citational material for all those articles. Whenever I
>>> download an article, I add its entry to my .bib file. I tend to manage
>>> this with JabRef because it searches Medline so easily, but I also will
>>> edit the .bib file directly when necessary.
>>>
>>> I like the idea of an org file containing the citational information
>>> (authors, title, journal, etc)  *plus* links to the pdfs on my hard
>>> drive, or on the internet. I could also include my notes about the
>>> articles. But what would that org file look like? How do I insert a
>>> reference to an article into the org file which contains the article I
>>> am writing?
>>>
>>> I'd be grateful for any explanations, or links to tutorials.

I am also a grad student, and I use a setup which is similar to Eric's,
but rather than importing from bibtex, I use Org's capture features to
directly input the bibliographic data when I come across something I
want to add to my reading list.  I don't maintain a separate .bib file
at all; rather I generate it as needed from the Org file containing my
reading list.

This setup allows me to think of readings as TODO items included in my
agenda, take notes and make links in the entry, and also keep
bibliographic data in Org (which I export via org-bibtex).

Here's what my setup looks like:

1)  A capture template for new readings.  My template looks like this:

** %^{Todo state|FIND|PRINT|READ|NOTES} [#%^{Priority|A|B|C}] %^{Description|Reading} %^g
   %^{TITLE}p %^{AUTHOR}p %^{AREA}p %?
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Entered: %U
   :END:

This template does not have a field for adding links to PDFs, but you
could easily add that.

2) A hook to add bibliographic data to reading entries when finalizing a
capture.  I put this in my Org setup:

;; post-processing in capture templates
(defun add-bibliographic-data ()
  ; this is a bit hacky: we detect the AUTHOR property, and create bibtex entries if
  ; it is present
  (message "optionally adding bibliographic data")
  (if (and (org-entry-get (point) "AUTHOR")
	   (y-or-n-p "Add bibliographic data? "))
      ; with prefix arg to get all fields:
      (org-bibtex-create-in-current-entry 1)
    nil))

(add-hook 'org-capture-before-finalize-hook (lambda () (add-bibliographic-data)))

There may be a better way to do this, but it works for me!

3) Elisp functions to export my entire reading list to .bib (these
assume that your readings are not in a separate file, but under a top-level
entry called "Reading list" in some other file):

;; lib/el/bib-export.el in my dissertation tree:
(setq dissertation-bib-file "~/Documents/philosophy/dissertation/build/dissertation.bib")

(defun add-headline-to-bib-buffer (bib-buffer)
  "Export headline at point to Bibtex into the given buffer"
  (let ((bib-entry (org-bibtex-headline))
	(custom-id (org-entry-get (point) "CUSTOM_ID")))
    (if (and custom-id bib-entry)
	(with-current-buffer bib-buffer
	  (insert bib-entry)))))

(defun export-subtree-to-bib-buffer (headline bib-buffer)
  "Export the entries in the subtree at point to Bibtex into the given buffer."
  (save-excursion
      (goto-char (org-find-exact-headline-in-buffer headline))
      (org-map-entries
       (lambda () (add-headline-to-bib-buffer bib-buffer))
       t ; match: all entries below this one
       'tree ; scope: just this subtree
       )))

(defun reading-list-to-bibtex ()
  "Export 'Reading list' headline in current buffer to dissertation.bib"
  (interactive)
  (let ((org-buffer (current-buffer))
	(bib-buffer (create-file-buffer "dissertation.bib")))
    (export-subtree-to-bib-buffer "Reading list" bib-buffer)
    (with-current-buffer bib-buffer
      (write-file dissertation-bib-file))))

4) A Makefile entry to call the export functions:

BATCH_EMACS=$(EMACS) --batch -Q

bib: tasks.org lib/el/bib-export.el
	$(BATCH_EMACS) --load lib/el/bib-export.el --file tasks.org --funcall reading-list-to-bibtex

Thus, I can run "make bib" in my dissertation tree and get a fresh
export of all my readings to a .bib file.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Richard

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-21  0:49 Jorge A. Alfaro Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro Murillo @ 2013-11-21  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I once tried to do something similar in org mode, at the end I thought I
was doing twice the work, so I ended up with just one big .bib file.

I copy the bib info from the website and then I have a function to yank it
a little bit cleaner into my bib file, something like this:

  (defun bibtex-yank-citation ()
    "Yanks a citation in a .bib file. Eliminates several fields,
  removes the key for the entry, and changes the abstract field for
  an annote field."
    (interactive)
    (goto-char (point-max))
    (let ((position (point)))
      (insert (current-kill 0))
      (goto-char position)
      (re-search-forward "\\(@.+?{\\).+?," nil t)
      (replace-match "\\1," nil nil)
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "%" nil t)
             (replace-match "\\\\%" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "’" nil t)
             (replace-match "'" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "á" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\\'a}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "é" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\\'e}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "í" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\\'i}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "ó" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\\'o}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "ú" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\\'u}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "ñ" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\~n}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "ç" nil t)
             (replace-match "{\\\\c{c}}" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "–" nil t)
             (replace-match "-" nil nil))
      (goto-char position)
      (delete-matching-lines

"^[[:space:]]*\\(keywords\\)\\|\\(note\\)\\|\\(url\\)\\|\\(jstor\\)\\|\\(doi\\)\\|\\(issn\\)\\|\\(html\\)\\|\\(language\\)\\|\\(copyright\\)\\|\\(eprint\\)")
      (goto-char position)
      (while (re-search-forward "\\(^[[:space:]]*\\)abstract" nil t)
             (replace-match "annote" nil nil))))

It also removes the key, so that then I just add extra information into the
annote field and then I generate the key with C-c C-c (bibtex-clean-entry).
You can configure your key type very specifically. See all the variables
bibtex-autokey-

That takes care of the new bibtex entry without effort. Now I have

  (defun bibtex-kill-ring-save-key ()
    "Kill-ring-save the bibtex key."
    (interactive)
    (let ((position (point)))
      (if (not (eq (point-max) position))
          (forward-char))
      (search-backward-regexp "^@" nil nil)
      (search-forward "{")
      (copy-region-as-kill (point)
                           (funcall (lambda ()
                                      (search-forward ",")
                                      (backward-char)
                                      (point))))
      (goto-char position)))

To save the key to the kill-ring, and then I save the paper with that
filename under a unique folder.

Finally I have a function that opens the respective pdf when the cursor is
within one entry. And keys for the functions, bound to Hyper keys:
  (eval-after-load "bibtex" '(progn
                               (define-key bibtex-mode-map
                                 (kbd "H-y") 'bibtex-yank-citation)
                               (define-key bibtex-mode-map
                                 (kbd "H-r") 'bibtex-kill-ring-save-key)
                               (define-key bibtex-mode-map
                                 (kbd "H-o")
'bibtex-open-reference-at-point)))

I even have a similar function that I use globally:
      (defun open-reference-at-point ()
        (interactive)
        (er/expand-region 2)
        (let* ((beg (region-beginning))
              (end (region-end))
              (article-name (buffer-substring beg end)))
          (call-process "evince" nil 0 nil
                        (concat "~/documents/references/articles/"
                                article-name
                                ".pdf")))
        (keyboard-quit))

So if I am in LaTeX, it is enough to call open-reference-at-point over the
text in \cite{...} and the pdf opens automatically.

As you can see everything just depends on using one folder for all the
references, one file for all the bib entries and the same name of the key
dot pdf for the pdf name. And you end up with an automatically super good
documented bib file. Which is very handy when you call C-c [ in LaTeX
(reftex-citation) and just vaguely remember something about what you want
to cite. Also if you want to open a certain reference you can search your
well documented bib file and open the reference with one key.

One last thing to get navigation a la org mode (C-c C-p and C-c C-n) and
folding with TAB in your bib file:

  (defun bibtex-previous-entry ()
    "Go to the previous bibtex entry."
    (interactive)
    (search-backward-regexp "^@" nil nil 2)
    (search-forward "{"))

  (defun bibtex-next-entry ()
    "Go to the next bibtex entry."
    (interactive)
    (search-forward-regexp "^@")
    (search-forward "{"))

  (add-hook 'bibtex-mode-hook (lambda ()
                                (hs-minor-mode)
                                (hs-hide-all)))

  (eval-after-load "bibtex" '(progn
                               (define-key bibtex-mode-map
                                 (kbd "<tab>") 'hs-toggle-hiding)
                               (define-key bibtex-mode-map
                                 (kbd "C-c C-p") 'bibtex-previous-entry)
                               (define-key bibtex-mode-map
                                 (kbd "C-c C-n") 'bibtex-next-entry)))

This almost makes you forget that you are actually in a bib file and not an
org-mode file.

Cheers,

Jorge.

@ 2013-11-21 21:14             ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-11-21 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20/11/13 17:27, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What I mean is to enter something like \cite{mann82} in the text and
>> have it spit out (Mann 1982) in each and every export as well as
>> constructing an entry for the bibliography.
> (For benefit of others)
>
> ox-jabref.el and JabRef can spit things out in different formats.  I
>
> I have added support for the odt backend.  But I have fleshed out the
> basic details so that it could be re-targeted for HTML or Plain Ascii
> export.
>
> ----------------
>
> Often the problem is that the author is stuck with a given DB and tool
> and is unwilling to let go of investments that he has made in that
> specific tool.  (This is perfectly understandable.)
Hi Jambu,
This is a bit cryptic. It seems to me that it is relatively easy to
change DB and tools. I currently keep all my references in a bibtex DB,
but there are plenty of conversion tools. The real problem is finding
something that works.

I still find Org mode a bit frustrating in this context. In the above
quote I say "something like \cite", but I don't really care what the
entry looks like as long as it can retrieve information from a DB and
construct the correct text reference and the correct bibliography entry
across all exports.

Is there such a DB and tool?

Cheers,
Alan

@ 2013-11-21 22:00       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-21 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu> writes:

> [...]
>        (lambda () (add-headline-to-bib-buffer bib-buffer))
>        t ; match: all entries below this one
>        'tree ; scope: just this subtree
>        )))
>
> (defun reading-list-to-bibtex ()
>   "Export 'Reading list' headline in current buffer to dissertation.bib"
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((org-buffer (current-buffer))
> 	(bib-buffer (create-file-buffer "dissertation.bib")))
>     (export-subtree-to-bib-buffer "Reading list" bib-buffer)
>     (with-current-buffer bib-buffer
>       (write-file dissertation-bib-file))))
>
> 4) A Makefile entry to call the export functions:
>
> BATCH_EMACS=$(EMACS) --batch -Q
>
> bib: tasks.org lib/el/bib-export.el
> 	$(BATCH_EMACS) --load lib/el/bib-export.el --file tasks.org --funcall reading-list-to-bibtex
>

> Thus, I can run "make bib" in my dissertation tree and get a fresh
> export of all my readings to a .bib file.

Very cool,

I think some of these functions could be merged into
contrib/lisp/org-bibtex-extras.el to very good effect.  In the mean time
I just pushed up a small change to this file which will resolve cite:
links and export them correctly to LaTeX.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-22  4:03         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-22  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Lawrence; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> In the mean time I just pushed up a small change to this file which
> will resolve cite: links and export them correctly to LaTeX.

I just reverted my addition to org-bibtex-extras.el as it looks like
ox-bibtex.el (also in contrib) already handles cite: links on export.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-22  4:04               ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-11-22  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> On 20/11/13 17:27, Jambunathan K wrote:
>> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What I mean is to enter something like \cite{mann82} in the text and
>>> have it spit out (Mann 1982) in each and every export as well as
>>> constructing an entry for the bibliography.
>> (For benefit of others)
>>
>> ox-jabref.el and JabRef can spit things out in different formats.  I
>>
>> I have added support for the odt backend.  But I have fleshed out the
>> basic details so that it could be re-targeted for HTML or Plain Ascii
>> export.
>>
>> ----------------
>>
>> Often the problem is that the author is stuck with a given DB and tool
>> and is unwilling to let go of investments that he has made in that
>> specific tool.  (This is perfectly understandable.)
> Hi Jambu,
> This is a bit cryptic. It seems to me that it is relatively easy to
> change DB and tools. I currently keep all my references in a bibtex
> DB, but there are plenty of conversion tools. The real problem is
> finding something that works.
>
> I still find Org mode a bit frustrating in this context. In the above
> quote I say "something like \cite", but I don't really care what the
> entry looks like as long as it can retrieve information from a DB and
> construct the correct text reference and the correct bibliography
> entry across all exports.
>
> Is there such a DB and tool?
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Checkout ox-bibtex.el in contrib used in combination with either ebib or
org-bibtex-extras.el.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-22  5:37                 ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2013-11-22  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 22/11/13 15:04, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (For benefit of others)
>>>
>>> ox-jabref.el and JabRef can spit things out in different formats.  I
>>>
>>> I have added support for the odt backend.  But I have fleshed out the
>>> basic details so that it could be re-targeted for HTML or Plain Ascii
>>> export.
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>>
>>> Often the problem is that the author is stuck with a given DB and tool
>>> and is unwilling to let go of investments that he has made in that
>>> specific tool.  (This is perfectly understandable.)
>> Hi Jambu,
>> This is a bit cryptic. It seems to me that it is relatively easy to
>> change DB and tools. I currently keep all my references in a bibtex
>> DB, but there are plenty of conversion tools. The real problem is
>> finding something that works.
>>
>> I still find Org mode a bit frustrating in this context. In the above
>> quote I say "something like \cite", but I don't really care what the
>> entry looks like as long as it can retrieve information from a DB and
>> construct the correct text reference and the correct bibliography
>> entry across all exports.
>>
>> Is there such a DB and tool?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan
>>
> Checkout ox-bibtex.el in contrib used in combination with either ebib or
> org-bibtex-extras.el.
Thanks Eric - I'll have a look.
Cheers,
Alan

@ 2013-11-23  0:06         ` Richard Lawrence
From: Richard Lawrence @ 2013-11-23  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 03:00:00PM -0700, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Very cool,
>
> I think some of these functions could be merged into
> contrib/lisp/org-bibtex-extras.el to very good effect.

Sure!  I'd be happy to help out with this.  I see you are the author
of org-bibtex-extras; feel free to grab/borrow/adapt any code from my
post, or let me know if there are changes I could work on and send
you.

Best,
Richard

(If possible, please encrypt your reply to me using my PGP key:
Key ID: CF6FA646
Fingerprint: 9969 43E1 CF6F A646.
See http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rwl/encryption.html for more information.)

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-25 10:06               ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-25 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there such a DB and tool?

I don't use bibliography much.  But, I *feel* ox-jabref.el + JabRef is
worth exploring.

You may have to create a layout file - possibly for one each backend -
that's about it.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: managing articles in my personal library, and their citational material, using org mode instead of bibtex
@ 2013-11-25 18:29 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-11-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher W. Ryan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org