dear Carsten and org-mode list, while you have discovered (too early!) ZShaolin having a working version of Emacs that could decenlty run org-mode on an Android, I've been caught in a kind of guilty complex by reading your mails and not having time to fix things. I must admit, as I have admitted elsewhere, that the inclusion of Emacs was still experimental in ZShaolin 0.7 (and that's why is not a 1.0). I've always wanted to have Emacs org-mode usable on a tablet myself and I consider that an ultimate goal of this development. In 0.7 There was an issue with TMPDIR, easy to guess and repair, and then one with the elisp files which are not included in ZShaolin, rather shipped with another app I'm going to depend upon for the time being. > On 24.10.2013, at 18:22, Charles Philip Chan wrote: > > Hi Carsten: > >> 0.7.1, and to problem is still present. > > Strange, what happens when you do a: > > > > ,---- > > | ls /sdcard/emacs/etc/charsets > > `---- > > Carsten Dominik writes: > Not even the emacs directory on the sdcard exists. And yes, I *do* > have an sdcard... Reinstalling dos not work. In ZShaolin I'm building almost everyting with my own toolchain, but for the Emacs build I'm trusting Zielmicha which IMHO has made the the best Android build around. For the Emacs user, my app adds to it a sane shell envionment and terminal to work. But when you start emacs in ZShaolin there are no elisp files: these must be installed into sdcard/emacs and this can be done by simply installing com.zielm.emacs: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zielm.emacs If both ZShaolin and this app above are installed, Emacs in ZShaolin will start and autoload org-mode. Some things can be still made better, to start faster for instance, like removing most language support since Google's bionic lib has removed NLS and wide char support (they've been so short sighted to support locales only in Java...) Of course there is still a missing piece, that is ZShaolin itself :^) since you need to buy it or build it, which isn't trivial at the moment. For those here who like to try it then please accept my humble homage: a standalone version of ZShaolin based on the latest version 0.9 where I've managed to fix for most issues related to Emacs, which won't update nor will require the Google Play market, and basically contains ZSh, Emacs and a few other utilities like GnuPG, Ssh and Git. https://files.dyne.org/zshaolin/.org-mode/ Providing you with this is really the minimum I can do, as a very happy and enthusiast org-mode user since years: it facilitates in so many ways my life, it is almost embarassing to find myself in this position now. Many thanks! ciao -- http://jaromil.dyne.org GPG: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02 C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10 NEW! superseeding old key C2B68E39 due to expiration date signature and revokation history on pgp.mit.edu - plz upd